2006 FZ6 Crashed, Sat and Won't Run

ajporlier

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I am looking for some help on my 2006 FZ6

Full story: I crashed this thing back in November of last year, the gas tank took two large dance into it but did not puncture the tank itself. Been handlebars that I've already replaced and some more cosmetic damage. Because my injuries, im just now getting to working on the bike. Having trouble getting the engine to start. It either will try starting but the engine won't ever fire up to idle or the engine will catch and start idling before puttering out in a matter of seconds. Any throttle given will immediately cut off the engine. At first I thought the air filter was dirty, so I replaced that. But the problem is persisting. Looking for any ideas before I start shooting in the dark. Any ideas?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you dump all the old fuel out?

Is the fuel pump priming when initially turning the key on?

Is the vent line and over flow line for the tank straight and clear?

Sounds like a fuel /fuel delivery issue...

Any electrical repairs from the damage, ie, repaired switches on the old bent bars?

ajporlier

Reaction score
Visit site
No, I did not dump the old fuel out. The fuel pump is priming. The lines are clear. No electrical issues. So new fuel?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No, I did not dump the old fuel out. The fuel pump is priming. The lines are clear. No electrical issues. So new fuel?

The ethonol crap will go bad as quickly as a month, so yes, I would siphon as much out as you can (or flip the tank and dump).

Start with the basic's FIRST.

If it still does not start, pull the air filter out, just a very small spritz of fuel down the throttle bodies and see if she'll fire up.
If it floods, hold the throttle WOT and don't release. Crank 4-5 seconds, STOP. Repeat again, it should light up...

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I am one to testify that, yes, old fuel will really affect our FZ6 motor. I had gas probably only 4-5 months old. The bike would BARELY start after multiple tries and even then, once even shut down WHILE RIDING. After burning the rest of the remaining gas, I pumped fresh gas in and the bike suddently ran and started like a brand-new motorcycle. I was surprised at how fast the gasoline went so bad that it caused big problems. I know I've run years-old gasoline in my lawn mower and it would run okay but the FZ6 seems to be more sensitive to poor fuel.