Need Help FZ6 won't start

Herman

Reaction score
Visit site
If the Kill switch is off (X) the bike does not crank
If the Kill switch is 0n (O) the bike cranks ( engine turn

I bought the bike new in 2006, no mods, not even the pipe. It has 37 000km on the clock and
I took it for a service every 5000km at a Yamaha dealer, last service, 35 000km.

(As I mentioned above I did pull a plug, but no spark)

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you have gone down the road of chasing fault codes, but I'm not sure you have done basic diagnostics yet.

Have you checked spark with a brand new plug? It is possible that the plug is fouled and that is the cause of the no spark condition.

What is the voltage of your battery; both static and while cranking (especially while cranking). If the voltage drops below 11 volts while cranking the ECU will not receive enough current to stay awake.

Herman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Gary

I will try the above.

Initially when the bike did not start I did basic trouble shooting.

1. Replaced battery with new one. (I trickle charge it every weekend and after I worked on the bike)
2. Drained fuel and added fresh fuel.
3. Checked oil levels.
4. Checked if fuel pump is working. (it did squirt fuel)
5. Cleaned air filter. (Vacuum) tried to start it without air filter.
6. Check for oil leaks (none)
7. Checked the side stand switch. it did not work, that's when I noticed the error codes in the ECU. The
side stand does not recognize the open stand (off) position. I opened the stand switch and bridged it out
but it did not make a difference.

And did the rest of the diagnostics as suggested by the forum. (Even checked the spark plug gap).
the spark plugs still look new, since the bike was serviced 2000km prior to the starting issue.

I do basic services of my Ford Fiesta and truck myself (Since they are out of warranty)
Oil Changes, spark plugs, brakes and filters.

Thus have an idea how used spark plugs look.