2+ days of hard work and frustration, but here it is..

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Built a toy hauler! Had to go with a folding one (1 car garage.. can't give up all the space). PITA to build, but hopefully it'll serve me well (many have used this kit with good results)

i0dn.jpg

1nrd.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! Where did you get the kit from and will that hold two bikes?

Got the kit from Harbor Freight. Retail is 400. It was on sale for 300 AND I found a 25% off coupon, so 225!!!

I am planning to haul 2 bikes with it. It's going to be a tight fit, but I think it can be done.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the kit from Harbor Freight. Retail is 400. It was on sale for 300 AND I found a 25% off coupon, so 225!!!

I am planning to haul 2 bikes with it. It's going to be a tight fit, but I think it can be done.

I looked at that same kit this week in their flyer. Let me know how it works with the two bikes. My buddy and I would like to go down to Tenn./N.C. but don't want to ride down there.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This may be the exact thing I need to solve my m/c transportation and storage issue. Thanks for the inspiration. :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using the same trailer since '09. I've probably pulled it ~ 8,000 to 10,000 miles now. It's showing wear. I've replaced the tire and wheels, add LED taillights, added reflectors for when the lights fail at 10pm, and added larger casters. Overall it's great trailer!

In Phoenix back in '09 on the way home from Willow Springs.

View attachment 50333

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using the same trailer since '09. I've probably pulled it ~ 8,000 to 10,000 miles now. It's showing wear. I've replaced the tire and wheels, add LED taillights, added reflectors for when the lights fail at 10pm, and added larger casters. Overall it's great trailer!

In Phoenix back in '09 on the way home from Willow Springs.

View attachment 50333

NICE! Buell for a track bike :thumbup:

Larger casters make sense. Original ones work, but they're far from smooth. I've got a bit of SOLAS tape left over from another project.. gonna slap that on the back and sides.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I forgot. Skateboard grip tape on the deck really helps when loading in wet conditions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I forgot. Skateboard grip tape on the deck really helps when loading in wet conditions.

Yup, I thought of that. I painted the top with outdoor wood paint with a non-skid additive mixed in. The entire floor feels like very coarse sand paper. :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
That's awesome.

I'm curious how you secure the bike(s) down? I would think you would want front tire blocks bolted to the deck to prevent sliding under heavy braking.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's awesome.

I'm curious how you secure the bike(s) down? I would think you would want front tire blocks bolted to the deck to prevent sliding under heavy braking.

I'm still considering my options. First step is to get a ramp and load the bike onto the trailer to figure out spacing and best approach.

Option 1: Quick release front wheel chocks + anchor bolts or D-rings.
Option 2. Pitbull trailer restraint (awesome, but $$$).

P.S. trailer weight WITH 3/4 plywood floor: 300 pounds even.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Option 2. Pitbull trailer restraint (awesome, but $$$).

^This is probably your best option given the total width of the trailer and the fact that you hope to haul two bikes. You need to consider the angle of the straps to the D-ring when securing the front of the bike. Near vertical strap connections will work; but are definitely on the sketchy side when making any trek over 1-mile.

Trailer looks great by the way!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Baxley Sport chock a 4 tie downs. Rock solid.

Paint the bottom of the wood to or it will warp in weather.

D

Dave.TX

Sometimes I forget about Harbor Freight. Thanks for the post. Eventually I'll get a trailer, much easier than loading in the truck.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice Eric! This looks like signs n symptoms of track day addiction lol... I would kno cuz I want one too lol:thumbup:

As u may already kno don't forget to repack the wheel bearing. N pitbull trailer restraint are the way to go if ur hauling two bikes!

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As u may already kno don't forget to repack the wheel bearing. N pitbull trailer restraint are the way to go if ur hauling two bikes!

Inspected the bearings before putting the wheels on. They were well saturated with grease, so I'm leaving them alone for now.

I'll likely get at least 1 pitbull, but whoever hitches a ride with me will have to deal with chock and tie-downs.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely get the pitbull TRS. Well worth the cost for convenience and confidence knowing your bike is secured. One of those things I wished I had gotten sooner.

Looks like you did a great job! Wouldn't mind having one myself if I didn't use my enclosed trailer all the time.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Inspected the bearings before putting the wheels on. They were well saturated with grease, so I'm leaving them alone for now.

I'll likely get at least 1 pitbull, but whoever hitches a ride with me will have to deal with chock and tie-downs.

question: are u planning on welding up the joints? i was considering to do it if / when i get a trailer.