2014 Daytona Bike Week. Part 2 (demo'd Victory and Indian. Eff Harley)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love riding cruiser to remind me how quick my FZ1 is :D

Victory Cross Country Tour:

attachment.php

Properly slow. Clunky gear box. *Slow* fueling. Blipping the throttle makes it drop the RPMs before they come up.
These bikes are built to eat up highway miles and I could see how this one would work well. Adjustable screen, electronic cruise, etc. Very easy to ride and effortless to turn (easier to do a tight u-turn on one of these vs my FZ1).

Victory Vision:

attachment.php

A bike which should be a car, except it only has 2 wheels! Having said that, I actually liked it better than Cross Country. Handling felt a bit better :don'tknow:
Another great way to kill major highway miles (2-up or not).

Victory Vegas 8-Ball:

attachment.php

TORQUE! Same motor as in the other 2, but this one is significantly lighter, which translates into very nice thrust from very low RPM. Makes a nice dirty noise too. Fun bike which lives up to its "cruiser" name. I can see cruising on this for 30-40 minutes up and down the Main St in Everytown, USA! :america:

Indian Chief Classic:

attachment.php

Had to give this one a try, as it's yet another rebirth of the brand, but this time with substantial financial backing by Polaris. These bikes look like art on wheels, in person.. particularly the engines. Very nicely done, in terms of developing something modern that looks so classic.

Jumping on this one after Victory, it's easy to notice how much smoother both the motor and the transmission are and how much better the fueling is. It's a huge heavy bike, which like all other cruiser I've ridden hides its weight incredibly well once you get it rolling. Steering is effortless and it holds its line well through the curves, going over bumps. Plenty of torque at nearly any RPM, without sounding like something is about to break (the feeling I get when I ride Victory bikes).

Hats off to Victory for having the best organized demo setup! Register once and just stand in one of 3 lines (cruiser, bagger, touring). Maximum wait was no more than 5 minutes for each one. Compare that to the Indian.. same line setup, but waited about 45 minutes on line and all the Japanese ones, where you have to register individually for EACH bike (but at least there's a schedule, so you know when you're up).

I thought to try a Harley or 2 as well. As I'm walking toward the registration area, an announcer exclaims over loudspeaker: "If you've never ridden a Harley before.. though I can't imagine anyone on Earth hasn't, come on over and take a REAL bike out for a spin!"

That is precisely the sort of condescending attitude and false sense of superiority which will keep so many riders from ever owning a Harley, myself included. :rolleyes:

The combination of that statement and the general audience in the Harley tent (muffin tops + tats + leather) really made me want to leave ASAP, so I did.

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought to try a Harley or 2 as well. As I'm walking toward the registration area, an announcer exclaims over loudspeaker: "If you've never ridden a Harley before.. though I can't imagine anyone on Earth hasn't, come on over and take a REAL bike out for a spin!"

That is precisely the sort of condescending attitude and false sense of superiority which will keep so many riders from ever owning a Harley, myself included. :rolleyes:

The combination of that statement and the general audience in the Harley tent (muffin tops + tats + leather) really made me want to leave ASAP, so I did.

Last summer I took the 1200 HD Sportster out for a spin.

It was pretty fun to ride. Definitely different than Suzuki and Honda cruisers that i used to ride. Smooth ride? Forget about it. Sportster's engine felt it was about to jump out of the frame. Very fun feeling and it felt like you were riding on an engine itself.

Fueling was iffy though. Not very smooth.

Just as I was about to pull into the parking lot of the HD dealer I took a more aggressive turn and low and behold I was dragging the exhaust pipe on the road haha.

I quickly gave the bike to the sales guy hoping that he didn't see it. Left the dealer within 2 minutes.

Back few yours ago they had a XS 1200 Street tracker. That bike looked hell of a lot fun with a higher suspension. Don't know what happened but haven't seen that model since.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Back few yours ago they had a XS 1200 Street tracker. That bike looked hell of a lot fun with a higher suspension. Don't know what happened but haven't seen that model since.

Do you mean the XR 1200? The only Harley I ever though I would actually want to own. There's still an AMA XR race series. Fun to watch.. great noise.. and racers have to hold fork legs with their left hands for minimum drag :thumbup:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you mean the XR 1200? The only Harley I ever though I would actually want to own. There's still an AMA XR race series. Fun to watch.. great noise.. and racers have to hold fork legs with their left hands for minimum drag :thumbup:

Ahh yes XR1200. I only sat on one. In a hindsight I should have asked to test ride it instead of the sportster.

My issue with the HDs is that the only bike that fits me is the sportseter. All other cruisers of theirs are so cumbersome and overweight. That XR looked pretty great, not very comfortable though.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pictures - cause its easier to ask than it is to look them up myself! Blah

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Biggest issue for me is ......... well, they're Harleys Blah When someone asks when I'm going to get an H-D, I usually tell them I'm not old enough. ;)

Eric, did you see the SR400? I heard they've brought it back (sort of, the old was a 250 & 500). They had the SR400 and an RD350 (maybe 400) at Indy last year and were asking which bike people thought Yamaha should bring back. My first race bike was the SR500.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pictures - cause its easier to ask than it is to look them up myself! Blah

Ah sorry, Randy.. I kinda figured these bikes are some common and easy to look up.. why bother. But I'll be there tomorrow and can easily snap pics of all I've tested and add them to my so-called reviews :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Biggest issue for me is ......... well, they're Harleys Blah When someone asks when I'm going to get an H-D, I usually tell them I'm not old enough. ;)

Eric, did you see the SR400? I heard they've brought it back (sort of, the old was a 250 & 500). They had the SR400 and an RD350 (maybe 400) at Indy last year and were asking which bike people thought Yamaha should bring back. My first race bike was the SR500.

It's definitely not in the demo area. I did see one that looked like it at the show tent. If I go back to the zoo that is the main area again, I'll be sure to look for it and snap few pics, if it's there.