2.75 tyres

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
..this has nothing to do with the fz6 but im sure you ll chime in to help :thumbup:

well i just acquired an old 1975 kawasaki 100cc that im trying to restore (no major expenses, ill try to do everything myself to keep costs down).

obviously the tyres are shot/hard/ cracked etc. now the wheels are 2.50 18 front and 2.75 18 rear. i was hoping to fit a 2.75 front and a 3.00 rear for a beefier look and because the 2.50 front isnt much wider than a mountain bike tyre which does not instill much confidence in me for everyday riding and on slippery roads.

so since this is a road bike the front fender is pretty close to the wheel. would a 2.75 tyre fit on the front? i was hoping to get michelin pilot sportys since they seem the best more focused on grip rather than high mileage.

also the tyres on the wheel are tubed tyres and the wheels are the multispoke type, so i wonder if the pilot sportys would accept tubes?

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't give you any advice on whether or not a fatter tire will fit. I know on my XJ700, I bought it with a 100/90 and it was supposed to have a 90/90, that was enough to have the front tire rubbing on the inside of the fender. I imagine you could figure out some way to make it fit if it didn't fit stock, though.

I've never heard of an issue running tubes inside a tubeless tire.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You are going to have fun on this bike. You'll enjoy the corners for sure.

Skinny tires grip too!

I can't give you any advice on whether or not a fatter tire will fit. I know on my XJ700, I bought it with a 100/90 and it was supposed to have a 90/90, that was enough to have the front tire rubbing on the inside of the fender. I imagine you could figure out some way to make it fit if it didn't fit stock, though.

I've never heard of an issue running tubes inside a tubeless tire.

+1

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks guys fort the advice..yeah i intend to have fun on it but it will also be my daily commuter, and i hope that thin tyres stick!.. at the moment its either michelin pilot sporty or metzeler me 22. (the metzlers are a bit cheaper but i think they re more focused on longevity rather than grip

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
these older tires are a pain to find. i recently picked up a cl175 that has 3.00-18 and 3.25-18. guess what no one makes anymore. unless i'm missing something my options are to go down a size (2.75 & 3.00) or up about 2 sizes to a 90/90 and 100/90. i'm thinking i'll go down a size.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah they re a real pain to find and the ones available are all hard for longevity which i really don t like them in the rain.

do you know the conversion to modern measurments?

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
quick answer is you multiply by 25.4.

a little more involved answer as i understand it...
- modern tires are metric.
- the first number is the width of the tire.
- second number is the hight of the tire. this number is the percentage of the first number needed to get that hight.
- third number is obviously the rim diameter.

so for me i have
front - 3.00-18
rear - 3.25-18

3.00 x 25.4 = 76.2
3.25 x 25.4 = 82.55

since my tires are about as tall as they are wide this should translate to...

front - 75/90-18
rear - 80/90-18

obviously there is nothing close to those numbers on the market. i can get an 80/90-18 front (or 3.14-18) and 90/90-18 back (or 3.54-18). i can even find a 3.00-18 front but for the back i'm stuck with either 3.00 or 3.50.

also, for money savings you can actually look into moped tires in these sizes. most are rated up to 90 mph which is more than my cl175 could ever hope to go. i'm contemplating this route. it'd be about $50.00 total for both front and back tires as opposed to $150.00. only thing is the largest rear moped tire i can find is a 3.00-18. and they don't look at cool. but for the money they're hard to beat.

hope that helps some.

Last edited:

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
just read all of your first post over again. from what i've read, you can use a tubeless tire with a tube but it will wear faster than a tire designed for a tube.

and if you're interested in looking into moped tires a brand a lot of people use are Michelin Gazelle M62 Moped Tires. they do not have "front" and "back" tires. they just have tires. and the smallest they have is 2.75-18.

again, hope that helps.