1st post everyone

TnRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

First post and I know it's late, but I just got off work.

I'm really interested in learning about the FZ6. My son is turning 16 next month and it's his favorite bike when he sits on bikes at the dealer. He really like the riding position. I've read the Cycle World April 2011 test on the FZ8 many times, but think that's too much bike for a 16 year old. So I think the 6 would be great.

I'm just here trying to get the best bike for him so he and I can log many miles together like my Dad and I did when I was 16. Looking soo forward to it.

I'll be reading and asking questing...

and try to contribute when I can......BTW MotorcycleGear.com (formaly New Enough) has the Shoei Qwest Airfoil on clearance for 249.99....I ordered one on Tuesday. Fantastic deal on a $450 helmet.:thumbup:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! If you want the best bike for your 16 year old, then I would get him a used 500 or maybe even a 250. I started on a gs500 I got for cheap, road it a year, then moved up to the FZ (and I was 35! lol). I think the FZ is an amazing bike, but still may be too much for a 16 year old with no experience to handle. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Last edited:

TnRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting... I was hoping someone was up.

My son has been riding dirt bikes for years, and is a natural. I'm not going to turn him loose when he's 16. He's going to follow me for a year before I let him ride by himself. That's what my Dad did and I'm still alive so I'm going to make him do the same. I want him to learn good lines, now where gravel usually is in turns. practice panic braking, watch for cagers....ect

But I also want his to keep up with me when we ride brisk in the curves.

I want him develope good habits, and not develope bad ones that takes years to break.

The FZ6 from what I read is a kitten till the revs get up. With him following me I can gradually break him in and keep the revs down till he's ready.;)

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The FZ6 sounds like a perfect bike for your son seeing he already knows how to ride. And although it doesn't have much HP at the low end it is no way a kitten.

TnRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I meant a kitten at low rpm's. I know it's no kitten. My son and I have been crazy about it for years.

It cruises around town easily, but carries a big stick from what I've read...:D

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey and welcome! :welcome:
Great place for some research :thumbup:

I would echo the above sentiment about it being a lot of bike for a 16 yr old, but with the riding experience maybe less so. The other thing to consider is also that it is physically quite a large and heavyish bike - just something to keep in mind when coming off light dirt bikes and into street bikes.

that said it is a great bike and it does carry a very big stick ;)

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: From Texas. The FZ6 might be a little underpowered for a 16 year old. He might like it for the first few weeks, but he'll soon be bored with it and will be looking for more power. Try the FZ8, or maybe the FZ1. They have the same ergos as the FZ6, but with more power that he may enjoy longer. :rockon:

He may allso like the sport feel of the R6,or R1 a little better than the oldman feel of the FZ6. Great power, and very kool sporty look. After all he's 16.:D

chucknorris

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the FZ6 would be the right fit! He does have experience with riding dirt bikes and if he is going to ride with you for a while he should be responseable.. I found Dirt Bike to be the bigest challenge for me because of the terrain.. I ride a FZ6 a Goldwing and Dirt bike and I find the FZ6 the most forgiviing and fun... Hope this helps and oh yeah :welcome:

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
I think with the guidance of a caring father behind him he'll be OK on the fz6. Although as mentioned it can feel heavy until the techniques of handling a road bike are learned, especially at slow speeds. Its power can also be pretty tempting, like any bike it's all about you're attitude I guess.

In Australia a new rider is restricted by power to weight ratio and can't ride an fz6 until fully licensed (which I think is a very good thing).

All the best with the purchase and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
Smaller bike.....max 500cc to start. Offroad skills (though handy to have) are no compensation for, and not totally transferable across to real life road experiences.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Yasko, I can't tell if you're kidding or not? The FZ6 is a lot of power for a 16 year old no matter how much guidance or maturity said kid has. A Ninja 500 would be much better.

TnRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input all.

What has got me so interested in the FZ6 is all the good articles I read on the FZ's handling attributes. That is for a bike with a more upright sitting position than the crotch rockets. The Ninja 500 and most other entry bikes don't have anything on the FZ6 when it comes to that.

As far as too much power...i'll keep him in check for a few thousand miles till he's got some seat time....If he really likes the FZ6 then jumping up to a FZ8 or FZ1 would be natural in a couple of years. Going from a 500 Ninja to a FZ8 or FZ1 would be like jumping from a Cessna to a SR71 Blackbird...;)

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcom TN, Sounds to me like you have all of the angles covered.
The FZ6 is plenty of bike for him to learn on, and with your constant supervison it shouldnt be a problem.
I'm sure you realize that as soon as you're not looking, it'll be reved to 14,000Rpm and bouncing off the rev limiter...every shift..
Just a heads up..

Personaly, even though my kids have thousands of hours on dirtbikes, quads ect..they are still all starting on 125's..
So I wouldnt leave them in the dust I bought 2..its good to feel the lack of power sometimes too...:thumbup:

(my FZ6 is what the wife rides)

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
First, welcome to the forum.

I'm with everyone else about a 250-500cc bike. Especially since he's 16 and is just starting to learn the rules of the road while driving a car. We've all done stupid things while we were that age, he's less likely to do stupid things on a bike with 1/3 the horsepower, and a lot more likely to survive when he does it anyways.

My first bike was a ninja 500 (at age 22), and i had that for 3-4 years. It was still no joke in terms of power, and it's riding position is comparable to the FZ6, as far as upright positioning, but the 500 feels more narrow. The GS500F is even more upright I think. I wouldn't say the handling of the FZ6 is way better than the 500. Good tires will make the most difference in handling feel anyways.

A 500cc bike is faster than probably 95% of the cars on the road now anyways, including his friends that will want to test how fast their cars are compared to his bike. The FZ6 is faster than probably 99+% of cars on the road. Plus, tell the insurance company that a 16 year old will be riding a 600cc bike and see what they quote you.

If he's ridden dirtbikes, maybe something like a 250-400cc dualsport could be an option.
Read through the stickies on the SBN new riders forum- New Riders - Sportbikes.net

TnRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again for the imput, but I'm pretty settled on a fz6 unless he decides he wants an enduro, but right now I can't talk him into it.

BTW....I had a new Honda 500 Interceptor when I turned 14, and got a VFR750 when I turned 16. Believe me I know whet he'll do when I'm not looking. That's why I'll always have the keys for the first year. We will rev it to 14k, but with me it will be in a controlled enviroment in the middle of nowhere not 5 oclock on a Friday afternoon during rush hour.

I did 165 on my bike a couple of weeks ago, but it was on a safe 4 lane with clear road ahead. He needs to be educated on what to do and when to do it.

I just wish the fz6 had abs....

Thanks again.

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 is a good bike, for a 16 year old starter considering what the insurance may cost for a 600cc bike I may also look into the smaller Ninja 250cc/500cc.

I would invest a good amount in gear. Saw Scorpion EXO 750's on sale for about 129$ on several websites online.

If he takes the MSF course he would also get a discount on his insurance, some retailers/online motorcycle gear stores also offer discounts.

I can't wait for my kid (2yrs) to grow up so I can go riding with him :rockon:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
The new Ninja 300 may be a good choice as well. More than a 250 but still enough to learn about street handling. My biggest complaint about the FZ6 is how top heavy it is, more difficult to turn at low speeds and at slow speed (i.e. parking lot) if it gets a little too much lean then it can be difficult to hold up. Biggest difference between the FZ6 and larger bikes is the acceleration above 80 or 100.