1st or Neutral????

What gear is your bike in at a stoplight?

• Neutral

Votes: 53 29.4%
  • 1st Gear

Votes: 127 70.6%

• Total voters

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Depending upon how long I am going to be stopped. However here is a useful tip if you do put her in neutral at the lights and no cars are behind you. Try touching the front brake lever a few times when cars are coming up behind you (or touching the foot brake lever fro that matter).
This action flashes the brake lights and gets there attention.
Nice little thing I picked up in my licence course here down under.
And I practice it regularly like all the tips they teach you in these courses, some are more useful than others.
:rockon:

CoFZ6

Junior Newbie Trainee
Reaction score
Visit site
Try touching the front brake lever a few times when cars are coming up behind you (or touching the foot brake lever fro that matter).
This action flashes the brake lights and gets there attention.

I always flash my brakes when I see a car coming up to me at a stop. But I will put it in neutral when there are cars stopped behind me.

I'm not sure I would be able to accelerate quickly away if I saw someone coming up quickly behind me. Damn finicky clutch gives me enough trouble as it is. :rolleyes:

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
I"d say about 70-30 in 1st gear. Some lights on my commute(Mira Mesa BLVD) are 2 min lights, for those lights I'm in N.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
It only takes 1 instance of a cager squealing their tires coming to a stop behind you to make you realize, hey, maybe I should have a plan to get the hell out of the way! First thing you do when you come to a stop is check the rear. If there's nothing coming, then, yeah, maybe give the left hand a break. But if there is a cager coming, keep it in gear and have an escape plan - maybe angle yourself slightly so that you can easily go around the cager in front of you or hang a quick left or right to escape. Of course, flashing your brake lights 'should' help. Even if you have a few cagers stacked up behind you, position yourself so that you can still see others coming. I watched a semi plow into 5 cars about a year ago. If its never happened to you, it will - just too many distracted drivers out there putting on make-up, eating, making phone calls, etc. ALWAYS have an escape plan!
My $.02 thank you very much have a nice day Vroom bah, bah, bah, bah! And if that fails, just rev up your loud pipes and that should save a life or two :D