1st or Neutral????

What gear is your bike in at a stoplight?

• Neutral

Votes: 53 29.4%
  • 1st Gear

Votes: 127 70.6%

• Total voters

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering what everyone does at a stoplight. Do you put your bike in neutral or 1st gear? I see a lot of people put their bike in neutral and "relax" when they are stopped. I have personally been taught and always do keep my bike in 1st just in case some idiot doesnt decide to stop and I need to get out of the way in a hurry.

Tremulant

It's not over...
Reaction score
Visit site
I only do this on occasion, so I couldn't really answer either. I agree that it's good to be in first while idling in order to avoid bad situations, but sometimes my wrist just gets tired, and a long red light can become a welcome break...

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
I answered 1st, which is where I keep mine most of the time at lights, although there are 2 trains of thought on this.

Be in 1st in case someone behind you doesn't stop, good thought.
Be in neutral because if my clutch gives way the cars coming across will make a mess of me.

As I said, most of the time 1st, but always keeping both brakes on until the last second before I move off. Even if I needed to move out of the way in a hurry because someone behind me was failing to stop I would not be leaping out into cross flowing traffic without much thought.

I'm more likely to take the hit on the back of the bike. My reason for that being if I opt to run the light because I hear/see a car not stopping then it could be I cause my own accident for no reason and get hit by someone in the crossing traffic. Even worse the car behind me might actually stop within a safe distance..

Hopefully I never find out, but it really does depend on which will give me the most damage at the time.

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I leave it in 1st until I have 2 - 3 cars already stopped behind me, that way if somebody does get rear-ended I have a buffer Zone.

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Some great points here. I like the idea of neutral as long as there are 2-3 cars behind me. Also, a few people made a great point of always having the brakelight on when stopped. That is another thing that I always make a concious thought to do.

Portmore78

Reaction score
Visit site
Always in 1st!!
Unless I know it's a long light and at least one car behind me and I need to do something with my left hand or my hand is tired. A combination of all of that, if not what's the use, stay in first and be ready to ride.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in first 98% of the time. The rest I'm in neutral and only to rest my hands or when there is already a car or two behind me and they are aware that I have stopped cause I flash my brake light a few times (to catch their attention) and then hold it.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was always taught neutral ,the reason being if someone does bump you and your in 1st you could launch into the intersection.I now wait for some cars to build up behind me and then select neutral ,I then watch the opposite lights and when they go yellow I select 1st.

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site
First gear all the time and covering my brakes. A drunk in a Caddilac Escalade decided he wanted to stop where I had stopped. Good thing I was watching my mirrors and launched when I did. He creamed the Tarus in front of me, bounced off and took out another SUV. I keep my clutch cable lubed and I have yet to suffer from a tired hand/wrist. I'd much rather be ready to go than be a hood ornament.

nigelcorn

Reaction score
Visit site
You all make great points.

Maybe I am just lazy, but I almost always put it in neutral. It probably isn't as safe, but I am insured for more than I am worth (at least that is how I justify anything dangerous to the wife).

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually am always in 1st gear at a light and my eyes are constantly scanning my mirrors for any morons who may just not stop in time and rear end me. Being in gear gives me the ability to get out of the way in a hurry if needed. The only time I will shift to neutral is when there are a few vehicles already at a stop behind me and I am not directly in the way of impact fom a vehicle approaching me from the rear.

W

wrightme43

in gear, watching mirrors and for people losing control in the other directions too.

I cant get anymore stopped so my only out will involve using the accel and or direction change. Dont eliminate a out.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering what everyone does at a stoplight. Do you put your bike in neutral or 1st gear? I see a lot of people put their bike in neutral and "relax" when they are stopped

This ;) I don't really worry about cars rear endig me at a stop light, so I just relax...

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah definately stay in first gear. Doesn't matter if there's a bit of a wait til the green light comes up. Riders who can't hold the clutch in for that long must be lacking in manliness...LOL jk