1st BIRD STRIKE!!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You read it right, had my first bird strike this morning while riding up to watch my daughter ride in a horse show. Needless to say, it scared the piss outta me. Luckily, it hit Jerry's mirror extender and went up and over my left shoulder. Thanks Jerry!:BLAA:

Anybody else had this happen?

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been fortunate enough not to have this happen, I would hate to hit anything while on the motorcycle!

On a random aside, is your avatar your actual CC #?? Haha.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been fortunate enough not to have this happen, I would hate to hit anything while on the motorcycle!

On a random aside, is your avatar your actual CC #?? Haha.

Yeah! Thanks for the big screen TV and Ducati Penagale! :BLAA:

I just missed a turkey once. That would have been really bad. I got down on my tank and it when right over me! :eek:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hit a wedge-tailed eagle coming back from Townsville to Rockhampton once.

He flew across my path and pulled out at the last minute - my brother, riding behind me, said one wingtip was touching the ground and the other was over my head! (over 2m (6.5') wingspan!)

His leg hit my clutch lever and smashed it into my fingers. We kept riding, but it was a good hour before I could feel/move my fingers again (highway, so no need for clutch)

We didn't know what it was, but I saw it really well, really close (!), so when we got home, we checked Google to find out what it was.

Just lucky it pulled out, because if it'd hit the fairing or my body, it probably would have taken me off at 70mph!

My closest call!

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had an Indian Minah fly under me, between front an rear wheels, a t least thats where it headed and it didnt touch me. It kept going and didnt look like it had ruffled any feathers....sirprised me tho'
Sent from the phone: sorry 'bout my spileng, fat fingers...you know!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
the only thing I have hit was a frikkin butterfly, had its wings spread out on the front of my mask and everything, big enough to block a good bit of my vision...smh I laugh now, but it sucked :BLAA:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hahaha, I do remember reading that thread:thumbup:

Mine was a little sparrow but we made contact at roughly 80 mph. I have feathers stuck between the front cowl and the mirror extender:(

:needpics:
Had to type. . .

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Plastic hub cap is as close as I have. Flew off the car in front of me and hit my mirror at about 50mph. Luckily there was no damage!

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
An associates boyfriend at the time got hit in the face with his visor up doing well past 80/90km/hr by a seagull... whilst squiding it up.

You can guess the results of that. :eek: :(

I believe he was in critical condition last I heard but lost touch with the girl... so never did find out if the poor bastard pulled thru.

Glad to hear you fared much better!

The worst I've had to deal with so far are huge bugs smacking me in the eye (I ride with tinted visor and frequently need to ride home in the dark)... as such I've recently purchased some Sunglasses with replaceable lenses, so I can wear some clear lenses and not have to cop various insects in the eye, then cry me some manly tears to get the little @#$#ers out of my eyes... terribly unsafe to ride like that. :spank:

As for dodging things, had a truck tire explode into rather large chunks in front of me on the highway... have been wary of trucks ever since. I was drafting on a KLR 250 at the time... loved those fuel savings ;) Not so much anymore!!!

A mate of my mums reckons he was following a truck when a tyre rolled off the back of one and bounced over his car. Not a bike... but seriously hitting a tyre at 110 would be pretty scary ****.

Last edited:

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
Never hit a bird, but I hit a bat once! It hit the inside of my right leg & got stuck between my leg & the fuel tank. I had to move my leg to let it out, it was freaking out (as was I)!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never hit a bird, but I hit a bat once! It hit the inside of my right leg & got stuck between my leg & the fuel tank. I had to move my leg to let it out, it was freaking out (as was I)!

LOL!!! I think a bat would have REALLY freaked me out:eek:

They have claws and big teeth!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
something like this happened to me a couple years ago... was riding home at the point that it was almost dark out, but not quite and a bat flew into the side of my helmet... honestly felt like someone threw a grapefruit and hit me in the helmet.

Glad that i always wear my helmet!

TSRBrad

Reaction score
Visit site
During a ride to Texas last year I bounced a mourning dove off the helmet. Luckily it was an "overtake" collision instead of a head-on. Not long after I did smack a sparrow head-on, where it wedged itself thru that small gap between the bottom of the windscreen and fairing. It rode there for a while til I could stop and fish it out.

What was worse was on the way home hitting a bee that ended up under my helmet strap where it decided to sting the crap out of my neck... while at speed! Talk about diverting your attention from the road. :eek:

The birds I saw... the bee I didn't. But jeez, it hurt like hell the rest of the way home.