Went down with my bike, need advice

sdriv3r

Reaction score
Visit site
So after being on a bike since the beginning of the season I have fallen down. Was going about 70 Km/h while taking a long turn and suddenly my rear tire hit a couple of rocks. Lost control and ended up on the ground in the dirt.

The bike is damaged on its right side. Peg snapped off, frame scratched, handlebar bent, cowling scratched, broken mirror and dented and scratched gas tank. For the small things like the peg, bar, mirror I will just buy new. What really concerns me is the gas tank and cowling. I will be going to see my dealer and see what they tell me but for now, has anybody had any success in repairing these parts instead of just replacing? If so how much did it cost?

Thanks,

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First of all, hope you are doing fine. For the bike, insurance should have you covered, wouldn't it? I have a small scratch and dent on my tank and I just left it that way after applying slight touch up paint. Cowling had broken, along with bent stay, so had to replace them. I think it cost < 500$ for all the plastics on the cowling, windscreen and the stay(mine is a 2005/S1). Tank is the most expensive to buy I guess, unless you can find a used one in good condition. But if insurance is covering it, then get a new one. Alternatively, you could make convert the bike to naked too. All the best getting it back running.

FZ6_WVU

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Visit site
Similar thing happened to me two years ago. Beginning of riding season, guess I didn't get the rear tire warm and low sided in corner about 40mph. I had frame sliders, so some how between them and the bars, the tank came out un-scratched,but did just about the rest of the damaged you mentioned. I didn't want to do the insurance thing because it was my dumpass fault, so I fixed everything myself. I went the route pulsar2 mentioned and went naked. The naked headlight conversion kit was about half the cost of the fairing. I was also lucky that my bike was black, so all the scratches on the frame and engine were easily hidden with flat black motor paint. Ended up blackening all the silver pieces on the bike. FZ6, Black Edition.

Not sure if any of this helps, but remember the most important part is you are okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on whether you can find a used set of fairings. What year/color is your bike? Not too many people repair plastic, though you may be able to have a body shop bondo and paint the tank. Not sure if that will exceed the cost of a new tank from the dealer, however.

sdriv3r

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I am fine. The only thing I broke is my heart when I picked the bike up. My alpinestar jacket got dirty but doesn't even look like I went down. My pants are pretty much done but at least I got nothing, not even a bruise.

The bike is a FZ6 2007 in red. The fairings are somehow still in 1 piece, no cracks just badly rashed. A good sand and paint should do the trick. Will look around for someone to fix the tank and paint the bike. I am insured (full coverage 250$ deductible) but would like to do this without using them if possible. Thats why I am looking around seeing how much it would cost me. For the couple of months that I had the bike I fell in love with it and really want to keep it. If I can't get it fixed up good I will just say screw it and call my insurance.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 07 crashed almost exactly as yours. 4,500 miles, $2,000.

New parts included, tank, fairing, inner fairings, side pod, CC cover, scuffed frame, bent main stay, scuffed ft brake lever, rt mirror (handlebars were fine)

I did all the labor.

I spent about $1,400 in parts (all new listed above) at a local shop (cheaper than the dealership).

You'll do MUCH better buying parts on-line from Partzilla or Bike Bandit, etc.

After the fix;

Double click to enlarge

Last edited:

sdriv3r

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 07 crashed almost exactly as yours. 4,500 miles, $2,000.

New parts included, tank, fairing, inner fairings, side pod, CC cover, scuffed frame, bent main stay, scuffed ft brake lever, rt mirror (handlebars were fine)

I did all the labor.

I spent about $1,400 in parts (all new listed above) at a local shop (cheaper than the dealership).

You'll do MUCH better buying parts on-line from Partzilla or Bike Bandit, etc.

After the fix;

Double click to enlarge

That looks really good! That pretty much the damage my bike has. For my rear fairing piece I'm just going to take off the sticker, sand/fill scratches and paint it the same black as the frame. Have seen it done on someones bike and I find it looks nice. The wrecked handlebar was a FZ1 bar which I liked, but I have the stock so will be reinstalling that for now. For the mirror I am looking into those LED blinker mirrors. I don't mind the electrical work to plug it up and I think it will looks good and make me somewhat more visible with 2 sets of front turn signals.

I got quoted 700$ (CAD) for the tank and another 500$ for the fairing for brand new. From what I see from parts websites, my dealer is offering a pretty good deal if you count conversion (weak canadian dollar compared to US) and shipping. Will still call around a couple of body shops to see how much they can pull the dent/bondo and repaint. Hopefully it will be half the price of new parts.