-1 Front sprocket Q's

Oh its deffenatly possible and ill try to take a video to prove it but when I say bounce of the rev limiter its more like hit wait about 10sec hit wait about 10 sec and so on but yes I agree the riding style has more to do with mileage then the sprocket itself as mentioned

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Isnt' that in the high 150s mph actual? Didn't think our bike was capable of that, let alone the naked version. Definitely take some video, that would be interesting to see...blurry I'm sure!

I did the 15 tooth conversion and love it. The only problem is gas mileage. I don't see how anyone can get 60 mpg with this change. I'm lucky to get 40 in town and 45 on the road. Then again I have a heavy throttle wrist. :D

Yeah hard to understand if you're not getting it. On the recent SoCal ride there were several riders who were all getting high 50s to mid 60s (we all filled up together and then filled up again together in a controlled test). Some had 15T, some 16, some 17. Cali_Rider, who is probably one the fastest FZ6 riders on the forum consistently gets in the 60s on spirited rides.

My MPG dips into the low 50s to mid 40s when on really goaty throttle/brake/throttle/brake 1.5 lane roads but when I'm on higher speed 2 lane the bike just sips gas so long as you don't slow down too much for the corners and don't gas it up between corners....roll on, roll off

On the track I was seeing 30s

Last edited:
Isnt' that in the high 150s mph actual? Didn't think our bike was capable of that, let alone the naked version. Definitely take some video, that would be interesting to see...blurry I'm sure

Ya the few times I looked down it was reading 157 but for all I know my speedo could be off pretty good but as far as doin it naked honestly with my setup I think it actually has less wind resistance then stock

Can't the math be done to calculate the bike's theoretica top speed in each gear (including 6th) given the gear ratios and final drive? I seem to remember a lot of discussion about this on SBN. Someone has to know how to do the math....I can try and dig up the discussions. I believe there was also a youtube video where someone redlined their FZ6 in 6th while on the centerstand and the indicated speed was in the high 160s.

I filled up last night (4.5 gallons) and had only achieved ~45 mpg on the tank...that included some city riding, 145 miles of heavy throttle/brake back/back/back road riding, 45 miles of 80++ highway, and a 15 minute parking lot wheeile session.

Last edited:
Can't the math be done to calculate the bike's theoretica top speed in each gear (including 6th) given the gear ratios and final drive? I seem to remember a lot of discussion about this on SBN. Someone has to know how to do the math....I can try and dig up the discussions. I believe there was also a youtube video where someone redlined their FZ6 in 6th while on the centerstand and the indicated speed was in the high 160s.

I filled up last night (4.5 gallons) and had only achieved ~45 mpg on the tank...that included some city riding, 145 miles of heavy throttle/brake back/back/back road riding, 45 miles of 80++ highway, and a 15 minute parking lot wheeile session.

I sure it could be if you knew the formula but that seems super dangerous doing that on the center stand id would be scareder to do that versus actually doing it

My experience with Mpg, I feel, is fairly typical after doing the switch to 15T.

With the stocker, I had been getting in the range of 48-52mpg with the average usually up around 50-51.

After probably 5 fillups with the 15T I am consistently getting right around 46mpg. Sometimes I am getting on it but alot of times I find myself in 6th gear because the bike can cruise there and still be repsonsive. I figure if you want the benefit of better acceleration in all gears it is worth the few mpg you would sacrifice.

Well worth doing this mod and super easy to reverse if you change your mind

Unfortunatly the only cure for bad gas milage is to put the stocker back on. Pklus since you just did it im sure your going hard everywhere you go wich will hurt ur mileage more then the sprocket

No, I realy don't go hard on my bike...I'm still starting to learn some techniques about riding the twisties, being coordinated with the controls & myself, trying to be smooth and all.....
No, I'm not going back to 16T, until I have a plan to go real long distance touring.
SpeedOhealer is my answer.......
Thanks anyway

Can't the math be done to calculate the bike's theoretica top speed in each gear (including 6th) given the gear ratios and final drive? I seem to remember a lot of discussion about this on SBN.

Poutanen on SBN did this: in 6th at 12.5krpm (max hp) on a stock bike you should be doing about 142mph, which is around fastest the FZ6 can actually go regardless of speedo readings, based on either forum.

At redline you would theoretically be at 160, but you can only hit redline in 6th on the center-stand, or I suppose downhill with a strong tail-wind and helium in your tires? But the FZ6 can exceed legal speeds in most states in just second gear either way....

To the OP's question: I don't track mpg carefully but with a 15T vs. 16, I didn't notice a significant drop. We're running slightly higher rpm's at any given speed/gear combo (which is the point) so mpg may be affected, but we could counter that by shifting sooner (which would defeat the point).

So to get to the point: don't worry, you won't go broke any quicker, just get to your destination a bit quicker :thumbup:

The gas/mileage drop was barely noticeable. I believe its due to a slight different driving style, which I believe is the most important factor.

As stated above by FB400, I am now shifting up to 6th gear earlier, and stay there longer, even on highway overtakes, because the bike feels with the 15t sprocket pretty much responsive and powerful enough to render a downshift obsolete (thus maybe resulting in less fuel consumption? Making it up for the increased consumption while accelerating?)

Got a question for y'all with the 15t getting really good gas mileage could it be that you havent corrected your speedo therefore clocking off a few more miles then actually makeing your mileage calculation go up?? Or has pretty much all y'all corrected the speedo and also I deff gonna ha e to shoot a video now and my set up is completely gutted muffler, cat, highly modded air box, and +40 on the co adjustment, doing all this I have lost some tq but the top end is awsome so when I saw 157 its all truth

I have to change out the front and rear sprockets + chain due to maintenance and I wanna do a -1 up front, with 520 chain conversion. I trust you guys as pretty much experts, so does anyone know what tooth count I have to go rear in order use 520 chain. Also, are there any durability issues with smaller chain? Thank you! :D

What happened to my gas consumption after changing from 16T - 15T? Terrible gas consumption on first day of test ride.....Is this going to re-adjust by itself or no? I just installed the 15T, no speedohealer or any of that thing...., just sprocket.

You've got a couple things going against you here.

1) You lowered the gearing so the engine's running faster (using more gas) for any given speed.
2) You didn't use a speedo healer, so your odometer's off and giving you false numbers, thereby decreasing your perceived mileage further.

...does anyone know what tooth count I have to go rear in order use 520 chain.

Tooth count and chain size are unrelated. A 520 chain has the same pitch as the stock 530. Stock is 46 teeth. Seems like I have read a few tiems that -1/+2 is common, which would be 48 teeth in the rear.

Also, are there any durability issues with smaller chain? Thank you! :D

Theoretically speaking, the narrower chain will put the same force on a smaller area and therefore wear out the sprockets and chain faster. Don't know if that is an issue in real world use.

According to this guy, the thoretical top speed in 6th at redline is 168 mph actual...a speed the FZ6 is not capable of.

Sportbikes.net - View Single Post - Top Speed?

I really dobut dropping a tooth up front decreases the bikes attainable top speed.

Got a question for y'all with the 15t getting really good gas mileage could it be that you havent corrected your speedo therefore clocking off a few more miles then actually makeing your mileage calculation go up?? Or has pretty much all y'all corrected the speedo

Not sure about anyone else by my odo actually counts slow now that I have changed the gearing and added a speedo healer...so my calculated MPG is worse than my actual MPG (I reference my GPS and others correct odo to see how far off mine is).

and also I deff gonna ha e to shoot a video now and my set up is completely gutted muffler, cat, highly modded air box, and +40 on the co adjustment, doing all this I have lost some tq but the top end is awsome so when I saw 157 its all truth

Are you sure you have 16/46 gearing and 6 gears?

No actually im not sure I got it used and nothing was ever mentiond about the gear my speedo seems to be spot on but ill have to check it to make sure but I remeber reading somewhere that the actual top speed was 155 red line limited

Got a question for y'all with the 15t getting really good gas mileage could it be that you havent corrected your speedo therefore clocking off a few more miles then actually makeing your mileage calculation go up??

I haven't corrected my speedo, but I've traveled many times to a 320 km distant location, with stock 16t and 15t sprockets and made my comparison. The key here for proper fuel mileage is to pay attention to the rpm's and not the speed that is displayed on the speedo. This way, you might be travelling at about 5 - 10 km/h slower at the same rpm's, but your mileage will be exactly the same.

I managed to get to that location with just one filled gas-tank and -11km in reserve mode.

Most informative guys, thanks!!

I put a -2 on the back, hoped for it to be better highway riding, which i think it has, but it's really low on grunt now.

Now it's been a while and i want my grunt back, SO, when i change the fron, which is soon, i want to go -1 front, then when i replace the rear sprocket i'll go stock again.

Will -1 front and -2 just balance out to give "stock"?

Also, due to changed odo readings, without a speedohealer it's almost impossible to judge what mpg i'm actually getting?

Contemplating going with 16 on the front stock and +1 on the rear which is a little better than stock. Don't expect big change but little better acceleration w/o loss of cruse ability. Has anyone done this?

Stock = 2.88
+1 rear = 2.94
+2 rear = 3.00
-1 front = 3.07
+2 rear & -1 front = 3.20

Thoughts?

Back