-1 Front sprocket Q's

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys pretty much positive I wanna go to a 15T front sprocket to give me that wheelie making torque on the low end :rockon: Just wanted to double check if I need to/should replace my chain at the same time? Also, for those who have the -1 front sprocket on their bikes already, how much speed do you lose off the top end, if any? Thanks guys, 'preciate the responses!

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
no need to do anything other than change the sprox .... no need for new chain or any of that unless you do -1 front and +2 rear or more. my top end didnt change much... (i can still reach 140, and if you need to go faster than that then you need a new bike :thumbup:) your speedo will alter a bit... mine has been clocked on police rader (my brother) to be about 10% high.

dantow

The Phoenix
Reaction score
Visit site
A speedohealer will fix the problem and is a simple install. even takes out the factory error(+- 5%)

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
no need to do anything other than change the sprox .... no need for new chain or any of that unless you do -1 front and +2 rear or more. my top end didnt change much... (i can still reach 140, and if you need to go faster than that then you need a new bike :thumbup:) your speedo will alter a bit... mine has been clocked on police rader (my brother) to be about 10% high.

dumb question, what does adding teeth to the rear sprocket do again?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Go a 520 conversion.... less rotating mass, better acceleration, and go -2 front, +1 rear...you wont regret it, if you want real grunt from take off all the way to heaven!

:rockon:

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
Go a 520 conversion.... less rotating mass, better acceleration, and go -2 front, +1 rear...you wont regret it, if you want real grunt from take off all the way to heaven!

:rockon:

So the 520 chain is smaller/lighter then I take it...and I know that the front sprocket stock is 16T, so -2 would be 14T, but what is the back sprocket?

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
So the 520 chain is smaller/lighter then I take it...and I know that the front sprocket stock is 16T, so -2 would be 14T, but what is the back sprocket?

Stock is 16 Front, 46 Rear, for a final drive of 2.875
Wolfman's setup is 14 Front, 47 Rear, which is a final drive of 3.357

A more common combination is 15 Front, 48 Rear, for 3.2

Higher number = Faster acceleration, slightly less top speed

520 chains are a little bit lighter, and cheaper. I got a high end 520 chain AND sprockets for the price of a high end 530 chain alone.
The 520/530 is the width of the rollers, so 520 is thinner than 530.

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
What happened to my gas consumption after changing from 16T - 15T? Terrible gas consumption on first day of test ride.....Is this going to re-adjust by itself or no? I just installed the 15T, no speedohealer or any of that thing...., just sprocket.

Last edited:

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
I will have to try this again and fill up and do a long ride, 200 miles? But damn, I love the way it runs.
I'll have to bring my GPS for actual speed comparison.

Any solutions or recommendation will help...& be greatly appreciated

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I will have to try this again and fill up and do a long ride, 200 miles? But damn, I love the way it runs.
I'll have to bring my GPS for actual speed comparison.

Any solutions or recommendation will help...& be greatly appreciated

Unfortunatly the only cure for bad gas milage is to put the stocker back on. Pklus since you just did it im sure your going hard everywhere you go wich will hurt ur mileage more then the sprocket

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 15t front sprocket for almost a year now.
The deviation as stated previously is about 10%. You don't loose top end speed particularely on the fz6. The 6th gear with stock sprocket never revs all the way up to the redline, thus resulting in lack of grunt at top end speed.

With the 15t sprocket you'll be able to reach the redline with 6th gear and therefor you'll get your max speed anyway (if not even more!). The tacho will show rediculous numbers though, if not treated by a speedohealer.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 15t front sprocket for almost a year now.
The deviation as stated previously is about 10%. You don't loose top end speed particularely on the fz6. The 6th gear with stock sprocket never revs all the way up to the redline, thus resulting in lack of grunt at top end speed.

With the 15t sprocket you'll be able to reach the redline with 6th gear and therefor you'll get your max speed anyway (if not even more!). The tacho will show rediculous numbers though, if not treated by a speedohealer.

Sorry but your pretty much wrong on that for one ive personally had mine bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th and 2 when you gear down there is no physical way of gaining top speed...just because the engine is turning the same rpms dose not mean your going the same speed thats the whole point of gearing down

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just saying, that my fz6 naked, never reached the rev limiter with stock sprocket.
It reached 10k - 11k rpm and then it felt like it hadn't any power left to push further the top speed.

With the 15t sprocket now it revs all the way up to the rev limiter 13k - 14k. I assume that I didn't lost any top-speed (my tacho displayed 265 km/h, considering a 10% error, I was going about 238.5 km/h true top speed), which is about the top speed I struggled to reach with the stock sprocket.

Now I reach the same speed much faster and effortless. Better acceleration, same top speed.

Fuel consumption is another story though.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just saying, that my fz6 naked, never reached the rev limiter with stock sprocket.
It reached 10k - 11k rpm and then it felt like it hadn't any power left to push further the top speed.

With the 15t sprocket now it revs all the way up to the rev limiter 13k - 14k. I assume that I didn't lost any top-speed (my tacho displayed 265 km/h, considering a 10% error, I was going about 238.5 km/h true top speed), which is about the top speed I struggled to reach with the stock sprocket.

Now I reach the same speed much faster and effortless. Better acceleration, same top speed.

Fuel consumption is another story though.

Thats because if im not mistaken its going off the rpms to calculate your speed and if you gear down it will be turning more rpms for the same actually speed but unless your speedo is calibrated it will still go off stock settings displaying a faster speed in english lower gear means quicker higher gear means more avaliabe top end kinda like the old hot rodders always putting 4.11s in there cars...to have quicker 1/4m ets but sucks for highway drivig

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
it does not go off of rpms to calculate it goes off of ouput shaft to sprocket. Yes you do not get more top end speed the engine is still putting out the same power you just get there faster.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunatly the only cure for bad gas milage is to put the stocker back on.

With my 15T I'm still getting ~60 mpg consistently when cruising the twisties at 50 to 70 mph. I would imagine that you really only lose out when on the highway in top gear for extended periods of time, but again, I get damn good gas mileage and so do many others with 15T. Riding style is bar far the biggest factor.

Sorry but your pretty much wrong on that for one ive personally had mine bouncing off the rev limiter in 6th

You mut have a turbo on that thang...pretty sure that's not possible in stock trim without a strong tail wind and a 5 mile 10% grade. :BLAA: Especially on a naked.

It reached 10k - 11k rpm and then it felt like it hadn't any power left to push further the top speed..

THIS

Unless you can really readline in 6th, you're probably not losing any top end by dropping a tooth....you're just gonna get up into the 140s faster. I don' think there are many, if any, road courses where the FZ6 could redline in 6th w/ stock gearing (if that is even possible)...maybe with 15/48 at road america w/ a good rider on board.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
With my 15T I'm still getting ~60 mpg consistently when cruising the twisties at 50 to 70 mph. I would imagine that you really only lose out when on the highway in top gear for extended periods of time, but again, I get damn good gas mileage and so do many others with 15T. Riding style is bar far the biggest factor.

You mut have a turbo on that thang...pretty sure that's not possible in stock trim without a strong tail wind and a 5 mile 10% grade. :BLAA: Especially on a naked.

Oh its deffenatly possible and ill try to take a video to prove it but when I say bounce of the rev limiter its more like hit wait about 10sec hit wait about 10 sec and so on but yes I agree the riding style has more to do with mileage then the sprocket itself as mentioned

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the 15 tooth conversion and love it. The only problem is gas mileage. I don't see how anyone can get 60 mpg with this change. I'm lucky to get 40 in town and 45 on the road. Then again I have a heavy throttle wrist. :D