07 dual headlamp how to.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this thread is getting beat to death, but the more resources you have the easier it should make for anyone who is unsure. I was just browsing youtube and found this video someone made of themselves doing the headlight mod on an 05 FZ6 (but it's sill the same for all other model years).

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4D2n1cIOA[/nomedia]

KenInSeattle

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this thread is getting beat to death, but the more resources you have the easier it should make for anyone who is unsure. I was just browsing youtube and found this video someone made of themselves doing the headlight mod on an 05 FZ6 (but it's sill the same for all other model years).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4D2n1cIOA

Maybe post a sticky as to the wire colors for different years (I think that's the only thing that changes) and different threads about it?

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually the wire colors don't change. They are the same for all years. The only difference is which wire people choose to use. This thread lists two different methods for completeing the dual headlight mod (Wrightme43's method and my method). But regardless of which path you take, the wire colors are the same on all the models.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Will the youtube videod mod be ok on the 07 s2 then ? and is this like your idea shaggy when on high beam its knocks lower off ?

Sorry if i'm being dim ;)

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the way he does it in the video is the same as how I did it on my bike. As far as I know the wiring on the euro version is the same as in N. America so you should be fine following the video. Good luck and enjoy.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the way he does it in the video is the same as how I did it on my bike. As far as I know the wiring on the euro version is the same as in N. America so you should be fine following the video. Good luck and enjoy.

Top man .. thank you :iconbeer:

Drevenflow

Reaction score
Visit site
So, let me beat this dead horse one more time. I'm splicing into the green/orange-dot wire and sending a lead into the free pole/connector on the headlamp. Got that. Reading all the threads, and even seeing the YouTube video I have one question:

When the headlight switch is on 'LOW', I expect both headlamps to be using the LOW filament. When theswitch is on 'HI', I expect both headlamps to be using the HI filament. From the video, it looks like now he is running like this:

switch setting left lamp right lamp
LO LO HI
HI HI LO + HI

Or am I just seeing things wrong in the video? I was under the impression, like in a car, that the lights would run:

switch setting left lamp right lamp
LO LO LO
HI HI HI

W

wrightme43

The left beam only has one filament. It is always low.
The right beam has a high and low.
You can set it up to run
Left low Right Low or High depending on the switch position
or
Left low Right Low and High depending on the switch position.

Basicly

L L
or
L H

or the other way

L L
L L+H

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
You're either running the high or low on the right. the left is always low, always on.

You're enabling the right side low beam with this mod. YOu're also disabling it when you turn on the highbeam.

Last edited:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
just some i was thinking about on the way home last night.
i too get flashed frequently, but i do not believe it because others are curtiously 'reminding' me that i have a light out.
i really dont think most people give enough of a **** to flash over a light out. many motorcyles have one anyway, and im getting flashed at a distance that they wouldnt be able to see that i had two with one out.
im pretty sure that our low beam is blinding enough to mislead its our high beam,
hence the flash or people keeping thier highs on to blind me back.

I have the same thing happen to me all the time. Cars are flashing when they couldnt possibly tell if i had a light out. I think they are flashing because our low beam shines right into the face of on-coming cars. Since i want to be a courteous rider, :)D) I have to show them that my brights are off. So i turn on the high beams for a second to show them. When i do this you can almost see the what the f... just happend look on their face. No expects our bikes to be that bright but they are.

There is a way to adjust your beams a little lower to avoid all the light flashing. I am not sur how to do it but the service guy at yamaha said he could do it for $60 an hour.............for free i can print off a copy of the service manual and do it myself.:thumbup:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
The left beam only has one filament. It is always low.
The right beam has a high and low.

Would it be possible to put a dual filament bulb in the left ... same as the right so you have 2 headlights on highbeam ? :confused:

Therefore LL for normal riding then HH when high beam selected ????

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the left headlight socket is a bit too small to fit a dual filament bulb. But if you got a new socket I think it would work....you'd need to abandon the wire currently running into your left bulb and wire it off of the same leads as the right bulb. This might put some strain on the fuse, but I think it'll be ok. hmm, I'm going to run out and take a look at the setup before I say anything else....brb.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll just have to buy a new socket (see the parts list wrightme43 used at the top of this thread) and wire it in. I couldn't tell just by eyeballing it if an H4 socket would fit in the left headlight enclosure, but an easy way to tell would be to pull your right headlight out and see if you can fit it into the left side. I'm at work right now (sans necessary tools) or else I'd give it a try. If you decide to go for it, take some pics and post a how-to. I don't really use my high beam enough to justify the work, but it'd still be interesting to see.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
you can physically do it but the headlight housing isn't designed for it. Light will not be aimed as it should be for high beam.

Not that I care...I've also thought about doing the same but I'm fine as it is right now. I'm just going to raise the aim when i get time and i'm not lazy.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll just have to buy a new socket (see the parts list wrightme43 used at the top of this thread) and wire it in. I couldn't tell just by eyeballing it if an H4 socket would fit in the left headlight enclosure, but an easy way to tell would be to pull your right headlight out and see if you can fit it into the left side. I'm at work right now (sans necessary tools) or else I'd give it a try. If you decide to go for it, take some pics and post a how-to. I don't really use my high beam enough to justify the work, but it'd still be interesting to see.

Thanks for that Shaggy ... I'm also at work at the moment but will investigate ...

Thanks again

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Would it be possible to put a dual filament bulb in the left ... same as the right so you have 2 headlights on highbeam ? :confused:

Therefore LL for normal riding then HH when high beam selected ????

By strange coincidence I actually got round to doing the dual headlight mod myself yesterday. Course I had to take it for a test ride. It crossed my mind too that the left hand unit could be converted to allow HH.

On reflection though, I think that you would get a 'black' spot at short range, at about 20 foot or so in front of the bike. I'm not sure that it would be any worse than any machine with a single headlight though. Just something to consider before blundering on with the mod. :thumbup: