07 dual headlamp how to.

W

wrightme43

Hey if you have a better way, I am all for it. I did not have a wiring diagram when I did this.
I havent seen any problems as of 4500 miles, with lots of night riding, often 200 miles at night on unlit roads.
I do agree that riding around with the highs on at low rpms is not the best of ideas. LOL
Again if there is a better way I would really like it if you would post another thread, with your instructions. Its not a problem at all to put both of them in links in one thread giving options or if there is proof positive that one way is better it will be the recomended way.
This place is to help FZ6 owners and if I did something wrong, I am all for fixing it.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, no disrespect meant....I just wanted to make sure everyone knew of all the possibilities. The wire you used will work just fine too. I think part of your luck with that method might be that you upgraded the bulbs to silverstars at the same time, they are made with better material and can handle the strain. If you were to do the same thing with a the factory installed bulb or a lower quality lamp, it would most likely burn out pretty fast. However, I'd still be a little worried about the stress on your alternator/charge circuit. This bike supposedly has about 100 watts to spare and with both filaments burning (45 + 65) you're pulling 110 watts.

As for another thread, i don't think it's really necessary. I just wanted to clarify on the instructions that already existed.

greenthumb

Reaction score
Visit site
just some i was thinking about on the way home last night.
i too get flashed frequently, but i do not believe it because others are curtiously 'reminding' me that i have a light out.
i really dont think most people give enough of a shit to flash over a light out. many motorcyles have one anyway, and im getting flashed at a distance that they wouldnt be able to see that i had two with one out.
im pretty sure that our low beam is blinding enough to mislead its our high beam, hence the flash or people keeping thier highs on to blind me back.

ive determined im better off not doing this mod.
sure it will give me more light, but it would cause more people to blind me in return and i see even less in the end.
just a thought

on another note, i was at the parts store the other day and picked up a pair of 100w xenon H4's for $10 and popped one in the high side.
i dont know if its because theyre cheapies, but i find other than slightly whiter light, its only marginally better than the stock 60w halogen.

the solution to this problem would be to find a proper high/low switch that alternates between the two elemants like a car would, rather than the simple on/off for the high beam that our bikes have.

W

wrightme43

Oh no none taken. I have made so many mistakes in my life I am pretty used to it by now. LOL

My understanding is that we have around 310 watts total to play with.
Left headlamp is using 55 at all times. If you add the right low it is adding 55 watts at all times for a total of 110 watts, If you turn on the brights it adds 65 watts for a total of 175 watts of light. The other method is 110 on low beam and 120 on high. So we have one method with 185 watts to run all other systems and one way leaving 135 watts to run all systems.
I think the charge circuit will be fine either way.

And the flashing from oncoming traffic did stop with the dual lamp mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

GBinAZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same upgrade on my 2007 with the kit supplied from this thread and it works GREAT. No problems with the oncoming traffic or the charging system and I personally think the bike looks a lot better with both lights on at all times versus the standard "one light burnt out" factory setting.

Gbusch

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I was just reading your install procedure for the dual low beam mod. Just wondering, does the right side headlight housing get too hot with both beams on at the same time? You haven't had any meltdowns I hope??

Also, I have 2007 FZ6 manual and discovered an easier to do the mod. Simply solder a wire from the low beam terminal on the left side of the bike, run a wire covered in shrink wrap to the low beam terminal on the rightside, install a simple push connector (90 degree), and your done. Does this accomplish the same thing you did for the mod??

According to the wiring diagram, the headlight dimmer switch on the handlebar simply turns the high beam on and off. The low beam is on all the time, via the headlight relay. Some have said there is a way to turn the low beam off on the right side combo bulb, but as far as I can see there is not, unless you install and additional relay. I am going to do the mod soon.

Thanks for your post on the issue...

W

wrightme43

Yes that is the same thing as the way I did, just adding in the parallel in a different spot.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey GBusch....if you read my reply earlier in this thread I detail how to do the mod so that only one filament in the bulb is on at a time. If you look at the wiring diagram for the lighting system on page 8-15 of the service manual (not the owners manual) and find switch 61 (which corresponds to the hi-low dimmer switch on the left handlebar) you'll notice that there are 3 outputs on the switch. One of these is only hot when the switch is flipped to low beam, and the wire running from that terminal on your bike doesn't actually go anywhere. So it's really easy just to splice it and run it over to your right head lamp, that way when you switch on the highbeam it turns off the low beam filament in your right bulb. Personally I like this method better, but according to wrightme43 we should have enough extra juice on the bike to handle either method.

Last edited:

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
cliff notes, if I may...

green wire with orange dot on left handle wiring bungle, connect to top terminal on right headlight.

its what the green wire is there for, on non-US bikes. it turns off when high beams are on.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks pchbreeze I was beginning to think I would reach the end of the thread and no one would mention the wire color!

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Desi_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
mod

I also did the upgrade, added a wire from the Green + orange dots wire in handlebar switch (where it goes into frame) to the upper Right bulb connector. That makes the low beam go off when High beam is turned on (rather than keeping both on). it looks MUCH cooler ;-)

couple of questions...

Is there a significant difference in the Stock Vs Sylvania Silverstar bulbs? (ie. are they worth the $40?)

Do the Syl generate more heat? If so will it damage the headlight/reflector?

Gbusch

Reaction score
Visit site
Shaggystyle - I did the mod your way. I meter everything out first, and made sure the green wire with orange dots did indeed recieve current from the lowbeam. Mod is complete. You can not tell it has been done if you liik at the wires. I did it down by the fram like you. And you are correct, the headlamp switch is a 3 pole switch. Thanks....

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
awesomeness:rockon:.....glad my worthless ramblings finally helped someone.

Also, good choice on the red fz6....some people around here will tell you it's slower, but that's just because they are jealous;)

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Sylvania bulbs are whiter, thats it. Trust me. Pictures on SBN are usually head-on or against a wall, NOT the damn ground, which is what matters. I took pictures but they came out bad...the mod wasn't worth the $ if you ask me...I'd rather do that higher intensity thing with a ballast for high beam only.

gbbisi

Reaction score
Visit site
Headlight mod

hi there, just bought a 04 FZ6. did the headlight mod but when riding my bike would cut out and had to keep the revs up? took the jumper out and the bike was okay, is there a certain way of doing this mod?

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
hi there, just bought a 04 FZ6. did the headlight mod but when riding my bike would cut out and had to keep the revs up? took the jumper out and the bike was okay, is there a certain way of doing this mod?
All you're doing is running a line from the green wire mentioned to the top of the headlight bulb. Sounds like you might be draining the battery/current somehow but its hard to say because an electrical issue shouldn't cause engine performance. The only thing I can think of is that you're also running high beam at the same time and its too much juice from the battery.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
1. I think we should combine the 'how to' to the 'fz6 mods' somehow...or make them stickies there. i was looking for htis thread there.

2. if anyone needs the wire terminal (aka 'connector') for this mod, send me a PM and I'll mail you one for free. just send me a self addressed stamped envelope. they're very hard to find if you want to have an offset quick connect type connection (like the other terminals/wires in the socket).

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
At the risk of sounding dumb (& being to idle to get off my a***, walk to the garage & check it out) - is the factory fitted bulb on the high side a dual filament bulb i.e. will operate both low & high beam if this mod is undertaken?