Mastakilla Interview

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today...Mastakilla

What do you do for a living?
I am a project manager for an IT / Consulting company, and I'm currently in the process of becoming PMBOK Certified Project Manager

How long have you owned your FZ6?
Got her brand new in May 2008, so a little over 5 months. It's a red 2007 FZ6 Fazer S2, with Leo's installed, a Puig dark smoke racing screen and Yamaha belly pan. Put almost 6.000 miles on her.

What other modes of transport do you have?
I drive a 2006 Opel Astra Break 1.7 diesel, and I have a Trek racing bycicle hanging around in my garage.
opel-astra-break-2007-5515.jpg

If you could have any bike what would it be?
Benelli Cafe Racer
08_benelli_Cafe_Racer_03.jpg

2005 Yamaha R1, one of the sweetest looking bikes ever!
05_mcy_r1_blk_3_4759.jpg

What are your hobbies apart from the bike?
I spend a lot of time urbexing (urbex = urban exploration), with my Nikon D80 DSLR. That means that we go explore abandoned buildings / factories / industrial sites, preferably at sunset and at night, and take pictures:) In the summer I take my surf board out to the Atlantic Coast and in the winter I'm snowboarding in the French Alps. I like hanging out with friends, watching DVD's and playing games on XBox. I love going to concerts, and when I'm not on my bike, I'm playing my drum kit!

What is the best place you have visited on your travels and why?
Well, I lived in Charlotte - North Carolina last year (was working there) and that was an awesome experience. It was my first time in the US, and I immediately got to stay for almost a year. You have to know that us Belgian kids grew up with American TV shows and movies, so although I had never been to the US, it all looked and felt so familiar. Sometimes I even felt like being in a movie! :) Most impressive was looking down on Manhattan from Empire State Building, past midnight. WOW!

How would you best describe yourself?
caring, ambitious, fast

Your going to be stuck on a desert island, what three things would you take with you and why? (You do have access to a power source (12V DC) via a solar panel. )
1) something I can surf the Internet with (laptop, smart phone, pda)
2) a super deluxe hammock
3) my Nikon DSLR camera

Which invention in history would you most like to have come up with?
not in history but in the future, I would like to invent a teleporter! Imagine the time saved, and all roads would be open for us bikers, yeah.

If you ruled the world, what is the first thing you would outlaw?
religion

Snow or beach?
Riding fresh powder snow above 9000 feet in the mountains is the best thing ever! Even beats jumping from a plane at 12.000 ft and surfing the Atlantic.

Windows or Mac?
Windooz, although I try to use as much open source stuff as I can. Haven't switched to Vista yet though.

F1 or MotoGP?
Hmmm I never cared too much for MotoGP, although I got more into since I got my bike. And I kinda quit following F1 after Schumacher retired. So neither really.

Which track or album rocks your boat?
Dream Theater is my favorite band, but I also love Porcupine Tree, Pagan's Mind, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden and Liquid Tension Experiment. Lately I got into some electronic music as well (like progressive trance and ambient chill out stuff).

What is your favourite film?
American Beauty, Pulp Fiction and American History X are up there.

Meat or Veg?
Meat for me. US steaks are the best I've ever had, European steaks don't even come close. Dunno how you guys do it. Love BBQ's as well.

What is your favourite beverage?
Aquarius :)I love all kinds of smoothies, fruit juices and milkshakes. And best soda is Vault (unfortunately not available in Europe :( )

And finally, your number one rule in life?
Carpe Diem. Try to get the most out of every day, and be there for the people that need you.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Mastakilla! Great interview! A whole new insight!

It's always interesting to capture the U.S. through the eyes of a foreigner. Glad you enjoy it here!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awright, the FZ-6 Rock Band finally got a drummer! And a Dream Theater fan to boot! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
So where did the username come from?

Thanks for the comments guys.

About the username : 10 years ago, some friends invited me to join their deathmatch Quake II game, so I had to come up with a nickname real quick, because that was the first time I was gonna play multiplayer FPS. I had just bought Merauder's latest album back then, called Masterkiller, and in the Quake II context, that kinda felt appropriate.

Masterkiller became Mastakilla later on, but I kinda hate that name now. Haven't really thought about a new one though...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the comments guys.

About the username : 10 years ago, some friends invited me to join their deathmatch Quake II game, so I had to come up with a nickname real quick, because that was the first time I was gonna play multiplayer FPS. I had just bought Merauder's latest album back then, called Masterkiller, and in the Quake II context, that kinda felt appropriate.

Masterkiller became Mastakilla later on, but I kinda hate that name now. Haven't really thought about a new one though...

Well, if you do want a new name, hit up Admin or Janette and they can change it here for you without losing your settings, stats, etc...

Quake II ROCKS! We used to play at work during lunch every day. I had a Homer Simpson character in a US Flag wrestling suit with a mask and all the Homer sound effects. Still love that game....

B

bluenova

Hey Matt,

I didn't realize we had so much in common, living in Belgium, same name, working in IT, photography, FZ6 ;), I also drive a crappy 1.7D Astra Break and I also got my nickname from having to think of it quickly but for an Unreal Tournament game instead of quake, Scary. I only can't agree with banning religion.

That cafe racer is a beast.