First oil change - only 70% disasterous

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to do an oil change on my own for the first time this morning. I had the oil, the drip pan, the new filter, all that stuff. I thought I had remembered reading something about the kickstand being in the way but I wasn't sure so I just kept going. I couldn't get the drip pan right where I wanted it because it hit the sidestand but it looked like it would be alright. I took the drain bolt out and the oil came streaming out...right out past the drip pan and onto the driveway. **** **** ****. So I stood up and all I could do was tip the bike upright and it changed the oil path so it went into the drip pan. The rest went fine but now I have a big oil spot in the driveway. It's another lesson learned the hard way.

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't feel bad I did the same thing. A round pan won't fit well at all. I picked up a triangle pan I'm going to try next.

Bill3508

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
I decided to do an oil change on my own for the first time this morning. I had the oil, the drip pan, the new filter, all that stuff. I thought I had remembered reading something about the kickstand being in the way but I wasn't sure so I just kept going. I couldn't get the drip pan right where I wanted it because it hit the sidestand but it looked like it would be alright. I took the drain bolt out and the oil came streaming out...right out past the drip pan and onto the driveway. **** **** ****. So I stood up and all I could do was tip the bike upright and it changed the oil path so it went into the drip pan. The rest went fine but now I have a big oil spot in the driveway. It's another lesson learned the hard way.

Ahhh... we all make first time mistakes like that. The first time I changed the oil on my previous bike, I actually forgot to put the drain bolt back into the engine before refilling. I felt like a :tard:.

X

D

D-Rock

i almost made a mess in the shop the other night but, I had a bucket of sawdust in arms length. I had planned for the big spill. For now on, I'm going to use the heavy tin foild trick.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6inNH: Your garage is hospital-operating-room CLEAN compared to my garage. Did you just move in?

LOL! Nope! The garage is two yrs old now. I've yet to get anything in there to get it organized. I'll be doing this nightly now that A) Son is moving out next week and taking all his stuff with him and B) Vacations are over, riding season is coming to a close and the weather in the evenings is perfect for garage work. I've got cabinets to build along with a Gladiator wall to install. I hate that it is so disorganized!

OT: For those with the impossible oil pan, I believe it is BD43's thread that shows routing the oil flow with tin foil which is an excellent and cheap plan!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL! Nope! The garage is two yrs old now. I've yet to get anything in there to get it organized. I'll be doing this nightly now that A) Son is moving out next week and taking all his stuff with him and B) Vacations are over, riding season is coming to a close and the weather in the evenings is perfect for garage work. I've got cabinets to build along with a Gladiator wall to install. I hate that it is so disorganized!

OT: For those with the impossible oil pan, I believe it is BD43's thread that shows routing the oil flow with tin foil which is an excellent and cheap plan!

I tried the tin foil trick and made a big mess with it.... my pan fits under the exhaust so i will not do the foil again...

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never had a problem with an oil change, but I did manage to knock a bucket of waste oil off a 4ft shelf once..... :eek: That was interesting.....

D

D-Rock

I've never had a problem with an oil change, but I did manage to knock a bucket of waste oil off a 4ft shelf once..... :eek: That was interesting.....

OH BUDDY... pass on that one! I have a powerstrock diesel and that thing takes 16 quarts of oil! I have a huge waste oil shelf. I can only imagine it falling off the shelf....

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say 75%.:D

We (me) have all messed up oil changes. Cat litter is good for soaking it up I've found.

I was gonna call it 90% but at least I got the filter changed and the new oil put in without incident.

I put in Rotella instead of Yamalube and I love it. Still clunky in the gearbox but noticeably less than with the yamalube.

Rocky529

Reaction score
Visit site
Consider yourself highly successful.

When I changed my oil, the filter stripped and it took me an hour and a half to get the old filter off.

I ended up stabbing it with a screwdriver, squirting oil all over me.. and finally cranking it off.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the cat litter for cleanups... +1 on screwdrivers for taking off oil filters, I have had many on cars that were on too tight

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys it is easy.

Just make sure that you have a container which is big enough to take the oil with an opening big enough to catch it all.

It is not rocket science ...is it ?

Steve

Ras Thavas

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a MC screw up, but here is my story.

I have been changing oil in my various vehicles for the last 30 years. A few years ago I was doing an oil change on my 4-Runner. Everything appeared to be going smoothly. I changed the oil, and put the new oil in. I started the truck up to let the oil circulate a bit before finally checking the dipstick. I look down and the driveway is covered in oil. The rubber gasket from the old oil filter did not come off with the filter. I did not catch it and put the new filter on over the old gasket. The pressure of the oil pump squirted oil everywhere.

Now I go to great pains to make sure the old gasket is off ;)