Yo! Another new guy here

FZ6err

Reaction score
Visit site
What's up guys, I hope to learn a lot about my new bike from y'all! Here's the deal, I just bought a 2008 FZ6 w 5,500 miles on it! It has an aftermarket seat and exhaust. I don't know the seat info yet but the exhaust is a MIVV sport power for FZ6 (obviously). The CAT was NOT deleted (I thought that strange). It sounds great and runs pretty well for a bike that's been sitting idle for over a year (PO lost interest in riding for understandable reasons). It needs a good cleaning and the obviously fluid flushes. My question is, what are all the important areas I should pay special attention too? I've never owned a EFI bike so just want to know what tests I should run. I'm a machinist and engineering student so I'm pretty particular about things operating at their best. I just wanted introduce myself and see what you guys, or gals, have to say before reading the whole damn repair manual.

Paid 3,450 from a private owner for my FZ6
Other bike is a finely tuned 93 Suzuki GS500E

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

With so few miles on the bike there's not much more to do. But check the tires. They could still be the originals and if so the rubber will be a bit harder than new ones. But if you're not gonna push hard through corners you can probably safely wear them out.

Consider changing the fork oil. Check for threads on here.

The engagement zone of the clutch is very narrow. You'll get used to it.

You might check the spark plug leads. If the caps can be turned on the wire more than a full rotation or so they might have burnt the connections to the wires. See a thread on here about plug caps and vibrations, by finalimpact - I think.

I was just at Port of Columbus airport this evening. Had to collect bags that went where they were supposed to go when I missed a connecting flight and ended up at PIT.

Please consider joining the OhioRiders.net Spring Epic Ride in May. It would be great to meet you.

unOFFICIAL SPRING EPIC RIDE - MAY 16 2015 - Rides and Events - Ohio Riders Motorcycle Forum

Oh, and by the way... POST some pics already! Or as soon as you get her in shape.

Chris

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Very cool that you're an engineering student. What type of engineering and where? I'm currently studying computer engineering at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. :)

Let's see some pictures of this new bike! :D

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and congrats on the new bike. Not many miles but enough so it looks like it didn't sit idle for too long. Stuff I'd look at is:

Fluids - change brake fluid, coolant and oil unless you can verify when last done
Chain - clean, inspect and lube also check sprockets, check tightness (not too tight or loose - better to be a little loose than a little tight but be within adjustment range)
Steering Head Bearings - check tightness and lube, particularly on the lower bearing (early FZ6's had a problem with them).
Forks - change fork oil, consider a heavier oil to stiffen front end a little.
Sync Throttle Bodies - can make a big difference in idle and throttle response
Swing Arm - clean and grease bearings

Nice thing about the FZ6 is all this can be done with the bike on the center stand and a block of wood carefully placed under the headers - I know cause I've done it. Just be careful to not knock it off the stand.

Always use medium locktight and always torque to specs. Read the how to threads, there are a couple of places where the manual gives the wrong specs. One is the bolts on the rear sprocket (working m=from memory here).

I've had a lot of fun working on my FZ6 and this forum is a great place to find tips and get suggestions and help.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!
Yep ^^ - Fluids are the unseen victims. They absorb moisture. If the bike is showing bits of rust throughout, that ups the anti on what needs done and when.

In my book: Brake flush and coolant flush, followed by a look in the tank and see how its doing for rust. I product of sitting with an empty tank for extended periods. With a near empty tank, open the filler and inspect using a good flashlight. If there are no signs of rust, Techron fuel treatment and run it.

Unless it was stored outside, the general grease points should be OK.

List:
Dot 4 Brake Fluid & syringe rubber tubing
50/50mix Glycol ~ 2qts
10/40wt motorcycle approved engine oil 3qts w/filter change.

Use the search function, these bikes have been around a while now and most things have answers! Enjoy and be safe! :thumbup:

FZ6err

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, looks like I'm on the right forum! My ridin buddy at work sent me the link about the Epic ride in May. You just reminded me to register! And it looks like I'll be getting started today with overall checks and fixes. One of the big things is forks! I forgot to mention in original post that the forks are very spongy. I can nearly bottom them out with relative ease by front-brake-shoving down on them. I feel it's first priority. Will look up your instruction threads now. Any quick tips and info would be appreciated though. Thanks a lot. Pics will be up soon.

Oh, chancecoats, working on mecanical engineering technologies at Columbus State.