WTF is that in my exhaust???? Could it be Piston?

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
The system WAS Ceramic coated inside??? There was no mention earlier of this.... :confused:

What engine tune would you do with a muffler change? Are you talking just a TB sync?
I'd really like to know as its been 4 years for me with my Scorps, (I have doen sync's since then, nothing else).

There's not much else to tune unless you have a Power Commander.

You can adjust the CO parameters to richen the fuel mixture up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had no idea the inside of the cans or y was coated. I did fasten the end caps with light duty Loctite but I can't imagine that migrated out.
Also to clarify; I had a poor choice of words in OP. It obviously is not "vapor" we see there, but when touched it disintegrates leaving a smear of ash you can blow off. Lastly; per Manx instructions the mid pipe is joined w/ silicone.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a side note:
I checked the repacking instructions for my LV SBK's, for inline 4's it says 20k miles and twins 15k more or less depending on riding style. Looks like a winter project!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a side note:
I checked the repacking instructions for my LV SBK's, for inline 4's it says 20k miles and twins 15k more or less depending on riding style. Looks like a winter project!

oh - your gonna love this.. .. ..

I'll have to find a link! Other funny crap I read in the TB owners cr@ppola said, don't do any dyno runs with CF cans as they can melt! lol

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Install_Inst/005-11704x_Inst.pdf

((PASTE))
OH-MY!!!!!!
Repack all road canisters every 3,000 miles. Part #005-10038
Repack all off road canisters after every 10 hours of use. Part #005-10038MX
NEVER dyno test your bike with carbon fiber or titanium canisters installed - the intense heat and lack of cooling air can quickly burn through the canister material. Two Brothers Racing does not provide a warranty for burned canisters.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
oh - your gonna love this.. .. ..

I'll have to find a link! Other funny crap I read in the TB owners cr@ppola said, don't do any dyno runs with CF cans as they can melt! lol

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Install_Inst/005-11704x_Inst.pdf

((PASTE))
OH-MY!!!!!!
Repack all road canisters every 3,000 miles. Part #005-10038
Repack all off road canisters after every 10 hours of use. Part #005-10038MX
NEVER dyno test your bike with carbon fiber or titanium canisters installed - the intense heat and lack of cooling air can quickly burn through the canister material. Two Brothers Racing does not provide a warranty for burned canisters.
Thats funny! Carbon burning thru???? My cans really dont get hot.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
The system WAS Ceramic coated inside??? There was no mention earlier of this.... :confused:

What engine tune would you do with a muffler change? Are you talking just a TB sync?
I'd really like to know as its been 4 years for me with my Scorps, (I have doen sync's since then, nothing else).

There's not much else to tune unless you have a Power Commander.

No. I think youre mistaken. There was mention of the pipes being ceramic coated inside and out. Just perhaps not in this thread. And yes I used a Power Commander.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No. I think youre mistaken. There was mention of the pipes being ceramic coated inside and out. Just perhaps not in this thread. And yes I used a Power Commander.

I know you can adjust the Power Commander, I'm assuming your doing your fine tuning / map changes on a dyno with a sniffer...

I don't have (nor want-she runs GREAT as is) a PC so that's not an option for me. Also, per at least the Scorpion exhaust website, a simple muffler ONLY change (no other changes), doesn't require any tuning... That's why I went with it, NO repacking, no dyno tuning, plug and play.

Perhaps this pipe flows more or its needed for this brand..

Yes, going back, there was mention in this thread re Ceramic coating and used/sold pipes. I'm not aware one way or the other if the ceramic coating would put out those small particles in either case..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled the plugs, nothing going on there - the cause was likely me disturbing something during tail pipe removal/tail pipe / can install.

Oh my, the GAP ON THE CR9EK's was outta control. 15,000 miles is the limit on those as the gap goes way wide as the electrode and ground strap wear down.

The specification is 0.028" and two of these these were 0.037" . The others at 0.035".

CR9E's went in. Same temp range single ground strap conventional end fire to strap. Notice the WEAR on 2 & 3 on the sides. #4 is up top.
picture.php

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats the first I've seen of the center electrodes visably burning away.

I'm assuming you did your measurements with a wire feeler gauge, NOT a flat feeler gauge..

For as worn out, mileage and the very large gap, their burning pretty damn clean. I wonder how much they contributed to the spark plug cap issues you were having as the larger gaps (and being worn) would make firing under compression considerably harder.

There should be a noticable improvement in performance / mileage too.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I never would of thought you could feel a change performance wise from a plug change but she pulls good and smooth. First time in her life popped the nose up on the 2 - 3 shift just a bit. Idle through wot is smooth and the 8k punch is a tad stronger too.

In short, I've worked on allot of engines in my life fixing problems, tuning, doing repairs of all kinds and I have never seen the ignition system so fragile that you could feel every little change. Bike is running great!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, not many other ways to measure it..... Interesting is that 2 an 3 are more electrically worn than 1 & 4.

If you've changed the co setttings may have something to do with it. With the very large gaps, it definitly put a strain on the ignition system, don't know IF, that would effect it.

Something also, their both the two middle/inside cylinders, perhaps their a little warmer, plugs working harder?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For about 400 miles this never repeated itself again. Then on a recent run it covered it white with at least twice the density! I still have no idea what might be causing it. :rolleyes:

No, CO adjust is STOCK OEM settings.

nab86

Reaction score
Visit site