Wrong fuel?

B

bluenova

Possibly a 'hall of shame' moment.

I went for a ride yesterday in Germany as they have some fantastic roads, I was about half way through my ride and needed fuel so I checked the GPS for fuel stations in the area as I was out in the sticks and found a Total (reputable chain). I filled up and rode about a kilometre down the road, gave it some welly and there was no power, so I move over to the side; hazard lights on, pull the clutch and the engine just dies, so I cost down the road to a safe area. I'm thinking aah crap I've put the wrong fuel in.

I get out my receipt which just states 'Benzine'. I was a bit unsure at the time as there were no octane numbers on the pumps just 'Benzine', 'Benzine Super' and 'Benzine Super Plus'. So I'm thinking ok, Benzine will be normal 95 (Euro RON) Benzine, the super will be 98 (Euro RON) and the plus will be 98 with some extra additives. In Belgium we only have 2 types of petrol at normal pumps 95 and 98 RON octane and they all state it on the pumps.

I call my recovery company as the station was a kilometre away up a steep hill so there was no way I could push it back there. A local German mechanic came to get me, so we go back to the garage and the mechanic and garage owner start talking in German to which I didn't understand a word and the mechanic said the fuel I put in was 95 octane so it's fine and must be another problem with the bike. Maybe some German forum members can confirm that because I'm almost 100% sure its not 95, if it is it must be bad fuel.

Well the local mechanic refused to drain the tank and said a Belgian recovery truck was coming for me, so there was not much I could do as I didn't have a tube to drain it myself. So the bike is with my local Yamaha garage today so they can check it out. I'll let you know the outcome...

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
huh... interesteing and weird.. wonder if it was something simple like broken fuel pump or soemthing liek that.. doesnt sound like its the fuel...

W

wrightme43

keep your reciept. We had a driver here a few weeks ago drop desiel fuel in a underground gas tank. Messed all sorts of stuff up.

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, nasty situation, curious 'bout the actual cause.

I know out of first hand that the 91 octane fuel sure is no problem! I've used it a couple of times with my Fazer while in Germany. And also with my car it's no problem, don't notice that it runs less smooth either.

B

bluenova

Hmm, nasty situation, curious 'bout the actual cause.

I know out of first hand that the 91 octane fuel sure is no problem! I've used it a couple of times with my Fazer while in Germany. And also with my car it's no problem, don't notice that it runs less smooth either.

Thanks for clarifing that the lower octane ran ok in the FZ6. The bike is ready already so I guess there was nothing major to be done. I'll go and pick it up after work and let you know the outcome.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i am interested in the outcome of this...sounds strange, but a guess would be that some sediment from the fuel got sucked in and clogged the fuel filter...

B

bluenova

Hi all,

Well I got the bike back. Draining the tank and re-filling it was all that was needed. It sounded a bit rough to begin with on my way home but by the time I was home it was fine. My mechanic said the fuel didn't look right and smelt a bit strange as well. I wonder how many other people fuelled up there and ran into trouble. I always try to fuel up at well known places like Total but I guess I was alluding myself into thinking a well known brand means the tank and pipes are clean. Had it of happened in the UK I'd be notifing Watchdog, but as it was Germany I doubt there is much I can do.

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
I would send the petrol company (Total?) a letter or an e-mail. If your mechanic is sure the bad fuel was the cause you might get some compensation.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I would send the petrol company (Total?) a letter or an e-mail. If your mechanic is sure the bad fuel was the cause you might get some compensation.

+42 on that, - these bigger companies would normally compensate you in some way, - and it would at least give them a chance to find out what is wrong with the fuel at that gas station, and prevent it from happening to others.

Oblinox

Reaction score
Visit site

i agree.. let me know if u want to write an email i can help you out and write it for you in german

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Just for the records:
Here in Germany we have
"Benzin" => german octane:91RON (82,5MON)
"Super" => german octane:95RON (85MON)
"Super Plus" => german octane:98RON (88MON)
and "Benzin" has the lowest octane and "Super Plus" the highest.

I drive my Yamahas since 14 years with the lowest octane "Benzin". And this is the suggested fuel by the FZ6 manual here in Germany, too. So there fuel type was right but it seems that the fuel there was not ok.

One more thing to say is that the octane numbers have regional differences. In Germany ROZ is the octane number. According to Wikipedia f.e. in USA the octane number is calculated by (RON+MON)/2.
Wikipedia

But the gas suppliers want to quit selling "Benzin" so they set "Benzin" and "Super" to the same price. And they will quit selling "Benzin" when nobody buys it anymore. Well, most new cars here require "Super".

My 2 cents for all who visit Germany sooner or later. ;)
BR Robert