Wrecked my FZ

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
coffeeguy? Good luck with the surgury!

Should have had the estimate today but still waiting to hear whether they fix her. I'm conflicted part of me hopes they fix her but the sensible part of me hopes they don't I really don't think she'll ever ride the same.

Which shop has your bike?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Like everyone said, thanks for sharing and hopefully we can learn from your misfortune. Glad you were wearing your gear. So how did you get home? I guess this experience brings a different meaning to the phrase "Escape to Wisonsin".

Vorg

Uncaged Freedom addiction
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your accident. hope all goes well with the surgery.

I'm new to riding on the street, been dirt bike riding for 30 years. I just finished the MSF class portion and this coming weekend going to do the riding portion of it.

My question is how do you handle tar snakes?? does the tires you have on the bike make a difference??

Thanks in advance for any advise

Rushiku

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you're okay.

I stopped by the shop a few times, looking for a ride, but you weren't there...maybe when you get the next one :)

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
Man that looks and sounds bad, lowside going at 60-65!!
Glad you are ok. Hope you get through this soon. I wrecked mine about 5 months ago in the middle of CA traffic. I was more mad at myslef than anything else.
I am surprised and glad that you walked away from it and even took the pictures. Its good that you have a very objective attitude about it too. :thumbup:
Hope you mend yourself and get the bike soon (with your wife's permission of course ;) ).

fstronblue

Reaction score
www.consciouscup.com
The textbook way to handle tar snakes would be to not run over them, failing that you should try to cross them at as near as to perpendicular as possible. Of course **** happens, in my case I didn't see it until I hit it, leaned over in a turn. My front end broke traction hard and the bike stepped off it's line by what looked at least 2-3 feet wide in the turn. I looked to the left and saw car, looked to the right and saw shoulder and trees. then promptly went down. Had I kept looking down my turn line I may have been able to just ride it out and the bike would have settled on its own, I may also have run out of road and still gone down .

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, glad you are OK and in good spirit. Wishing you a speedy recovery BRO!
What is your next ride going to be?

fstronblue

Reaction score
www.consciouscup.com
I've been thinking about that for the past couple day's and I'm really not sure, I've really liked the FZ and it does so many things well, the only things that I really want better would be a bit more comfortable for 2up riding and a nice set of hard bags. I've been commuting on the bike and doing some long day rides on the weekends so it will probably be something rather simular. Maybe an Aprilia Shiver 750. or the right used BMW. We'll see how it goes with the wife, she's hung up on the "that phone call could have been you dead" thing. I'm like I fell I learned something lets go again.

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been thinking about that for the past couple day's and I'm really not sure, I've really liked the FZ and it does so many things well, the only things that I really want better would be a bit more comfortable for 2up riding and a nice set of hard bags. I've been commuting on the bike and doing some long day rides on the weekends so it will probably be something rather simular. Maybe an Aprilia Shiver 750. or the right used BMW. We'll see how it goes with the wife, she's hung up on the "that phone call could have been you dead" thing. I'm like I fell I learned something lets go again.

Have you considered a Suz VStrom (650 or 1000). I like 650 better for handling. Great for 2 up and carries good luggage.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
What's the difference between a snake or an attorney getting run over? Answer: There are skid marks in front of the snake. (well, not in your case, huh?)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the dealer called today he's recommending that ins total the bike... I'm kind of bummed.

Full coverage? Go get the '08! :thumbup:

Don't overlook how much faster the Aprilia depreciates than the Yamaha. If you would have ditched the Aprilia within a year, your monetary loss would be much greater! :eek: ;) :thumbup:

Heal, buy and ride again! Just go a bit easier in unfamiliar corners. :rockon:

fstronblue

Reaction score
www.consciouscup.com
State farm rocks, they did total the bike. Took the deductible out of the check they send to the bank, GAP insurance will pay off the loan. Wrote me a check for the tow, helmet, pants and jacket. Easy to deal with great coverage, how a company deals with a claim is so important it's easy to forget what matters as you are shopping for the cheapest price.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man that was crazy the wreck. I am very happy you are okay. Wish you speedy recovery man. You are for sure right about the gear thing man. I have heard that once you reach 60 mph on a bike your chances of surviving is slim to none. Happy that wasn't your case. I also hope they get the bike taken care of you fast also I have never wrecked anything to were it may be totaled (knock on wood) I don't know which is better have the bike totaled or just repaired.