wont rev past 8k

Clovis

Reaction score
Visit site
That's weird. It should go all the way to redline in every gear except maybe 6th depending on your altitude, weight, ect.

Does the power hard cut off at 8k? Does it bog down? What happens exactly?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Didn't you just get your bike? Has it done this since you've had it, or just started? They make restrictor kits for the bikes, I'm not 100% sure how they work, or what they do but I do believe that they limit the RPM's. Maybe your bike has a restrictor kit on it

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In addition could ther be a limiter on the throttle linkage or is there a limit to wide open throttle? Check you linkage..:D

Edit: Haha..Beat me to it!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i actually just picked it up, it starts to bog down around 7K and at 8K it just wont rev any more, if i shift, it runs fine, but it is in every gear

Disconnect the battery negative lead for a few minutes. Reconnect and take it for a ride.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i think it has a restrictor on the linkage, i hope so, ill leave it on for a few months then it'll be like a new bike!
is this it?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/red_rock_beetle/a918a1bf.jpg

Zach,
That looks like a normal set-up. I would have the bike looked at to figure out why it won't go over 8k
a918a1bf.jpg

Clovis

Reaction score
Visit site
I vaguely remember reading something about bikes having a RPM limiter if the rider is underage. I think it was one of the Nordic countries, maybe that's it?

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry bud but it looks like that plate that restricts rotation is a stock piece!
Took this just for you a min ago on my 06'
View attachment 40326

And this is throttle rotation
Closed
View attachment 40327

Wide open
View attachment 40328

Sorry to hear of bad news this early in your MC ownership! Be very specific when describing issues and the collective knowledge here will pull together the best a bunch "bikers" can.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, research getting your readout into diagnostic mode and you can look at you Throttle Position Sensor to see if it's putting forth the numbers you need. This would tell you the TPS is good/bad and whether you've got full range mechanically in you throttle linkage.

petefz6

Reaction score
Visit site
it may possibly might be restricted, mines restricted under uk law as im not 21 my throttle action looks very similar to that above, and its all throttle restricted and that plate looks very familiar

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I vaguely remember reading something about bikes having a RPM limiter if the rider is underage. I think it was one of the Nordic countries, maybe that's it?

He has a US bike, New Braunfles is in Texas. Okay Texas can be like another country but not in this case.

I wonder if the bike sat for a while? Try adding Seafoam to your fuel for a tank and see what it does.

Also, is the air filter clean?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He has a US bike, New Braunfles is in Texas. Okay Texas can be like another country but not in this case.

I wonder if the bike sat for a while? Try adding Seafoam to your fuel for a tank and see what it does.

Also, is the air filter clean?

Totally agree it could be this. ^^^^ You could have stale gas... I've seen SeaFoam do great stuff for many different symptoms..:D