Wiring straight to the battery? (esp. Bi-Xenon)

mawebb

Reaction score
Visit site
Great idea for using a relay and distribution block. That is great planning. Using a relay will ensure the ignition switch is not overloaded by the addition of several mods and accessories. The Bi-Xenon 's are a really nice addition but a lot of work fitting all the components into the front cowl.

Keep up the great work and good on you for challenging youself and learning new skills.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Mancolt-
Good to see you are leveraging the skills of those here on the forum. I really like the idea of the relay/distribution block. If you get a chance, if you would please post up shots of this setup. That is a mod I would certainly want to add to my bike.
Regards,
FB

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Here you go FB400. This is a pic from my cellphone of the distribution block. I didn't bother setting up the relay, because this will most likely be a temporary setup. I got this junction box (I think that's what Home Depot called it) but had to do some extra wiring to get it to work for my purposes. I think Radio Shack has the actual distribution block that I want to use. I got the relay kit at Pep Boys, but didn't bother installing it yet. Right now, I only have the Angel Eyes and HID Projectors running off this distribution block. The HID's only turn on when the bike is running anyways, so I don't think I need a relay to ensure that they don't drain the battery (someone please tell me if this logic is flawed).

I took this pic before it was completely done. I hid some of the wires a little bit better. But basically, it just sits in a little area on top of the battery.
attachment.php

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks really clean. For my purposes, I have a relay coming off the positive lead of the battery for my horn setup. I would just use this block to neaten the wiring under the tank. I like this setup alot, nice work :thumbup:

LexusFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, don't let my experience deter you. If you have some electrical/wiring skill, it won't be as bad for you. I taught myself (with the help of this forum) everything I know about wiring in the last 6 days. Before that, the only thing I knew about wiring was seeing my dad strip and splice wires.

The biggest PITA is that the directions they include suck IMO. And they don't include a parts list, so you don't know what you're supposed to use where. I also think their quality control is pretty shoddy. I got a ballast with a stripped screw thread and missing the screw because it fell out somewhere along the way. I think the screws they include (presumably for mounting the HID projector housing to the mounts in the headlight housing) are the wrong size. I couldn't find anything that came with the kit that these screws would fit into. So I used my own screws and mounted it.

I'm here if you have any questions though! I'll do my best to answer anything I can. Feel free to PM me with any question you have, no matter how dumb you think it might be. I had so many dumb questions that I just wasn't sure about and I was nervous about messing up so I asked them. This forum is seriously a GREAT resource. I would read through the first half (if not the whole thing) of the Bi-Xenon sticky thread until you understand everything they're talking about. Once you've got that down, it's just a matter of disassembling, mounting, and reassembling.

Here are some of the threads that I used, or think will be useful:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/14783-how-remove-your-fairing.html
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/14963-bi-xenon-projector-angel-eye-installed.html
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/2799-accessory-wiring-right-way.html
.: Distribution Block / Powered Relay | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring :.

The last two would be something that I would plan to do from the start. Put a relay on there that you can wire any future electrical mods to. It'll make things easier and look a little more organized. After learning a little about wiring, I don't think it's going to be difficult at all.

I'm going to finish mounting mine, and redo some of the more haphazard wiring this weekend. I'm gonna throw a relay and distribution block on mine as well. I think I've got 2-3 hours left total. In the end, as much of a hassle as it was at times, it looks sweet and the light output from the HIDs are a night and day difference from the stock bulbs. I should have read through this forum more before starting and I probably could have saved myself some time and headaches. I think if I were to do it again, I could cut the time in about half (which would still make it about 10-12 hours for me, down from 22ish).

hey man sorry about your crash agine i just got my Hid kit today what the hell are the 2 blue and 2 white wires where do they go it said it was for the h7 said witch is the low beam :confused::confused: