Wiring setup suggestions

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
If you just need a line thats hot when the bike is on (to signal a relay) I'd just tap into the front directional running light. It comes on and goes off with the ignition.

As for your heated clothing, if you need a line for that, Powerlet has some nice kits (good quality) that go directly to the battery (no extra relays, wiring, etc). I have a BMW style outlet on the left side of my FZ6 (direct to the battery (fused with a 15 amp fuse). On my FJR I have 2 BMW style outlets, also fused to the left side of the bike(for operator and passenger).... My KLR has an BMW style outlet on the left as well....

The BMW outlets are less likely to come out unlike cig lighter type plugs and won't be damaged should you dismount and forget to un hook yourself...

Scott

Thanks Scott. Yeah I have the wiring kit from Gerbing that goes directly to the battery. Did you just snake it under your fuel tank to the left side of the battery? Did you zip tie it anywhere? Just wondering if it's a good idea to have it just dangling there the whole time.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its hooked to the battery (fused right there), runs down the left inner side of the frame to the rear sets.

I made a bracket and wired in a female BMW style outlet. The bracket bolts in directly inbetween the rear set and the frame. Its aluminum, bout 1 1/8" wide.

At one end of the bracket is the outlet, on the other end (past the rear set) is a helmet lock....

Scott