Wire to regulator rectifier

Brian861

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all
I had the tank off my 2008 fz6s today and saw something I'm curious about.
There is a red wire going from the positive battery terminal straight to the regulator rectifier, the bike runs fine I was just wondering since it doesn't look factory, is this normal or a by-pass or something?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That doesn't sound normal. Under the tank you'll find a connector for the RR to the stator. You might pull the connector from Each the RR and Stator (stator has 3 white wires IIRC) and verify the condition of the conductors. i.e. no burning, melting, discoloring.

The wire if being ran as a replacement to the OEM, needs to be able to handle about 35AMPS so make sure it is up to the task if that is what's being asked of it.

Brian861

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks FinalImpact

I took the connector off the reg/rec and there doesn't seem to be any signs of being melted or burnt and the oem wire is still connected.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a small wire. Maybe 14 or 16 gauge? Verify with headlights on engine running it doesn't get hot or warm. How is it connected or terminated? Is it a good crimp? Also, is it fused if it gets pinched? You don't need an electrical fire.

If it were mine id keep looking for 'why' its there and if there is no sound reason, remove it and see what happens.

i.e. engine on; measure battery + - and then measure voltage at RR. Remove wire and repeat readings. The wire is so small you should not see a change in voltage with it disconnected if the OEM wire is healthy.

Another test is this; using a 12v test lamp, disconnect the battery end and place the test lamp between the wire and + terminal. If there is NO CURRENT flow, the lamp will remain off. If it glows, that means the OEM connection is compromised and current is flowing. Hint, find whats wrong and where its bad.

Mind you, if the battery is charging, there will be slight difference between batt voltage and RR Red/Black voltage.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
According to the FZ6 schematic the red wire from the R/R runs to one side of the main fuse and not direct to the battery. Another owner may have run the extra wire to insure the most current would get to the battery? If the pins on the R/R plug look good and you are getting a good voltage reading, I would at least install an inline fuse to give protection from a possible fire or remove it completely.