Wife not happy with the idea of me on a bike

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the full support of my wife. I had ridden before we met but had a gap, and I think my previous riding experience helped when the subject of a bike came up. That, and all of the friends I have who have ridden safely for a lot of years. Do you have previous riding experience that you can point to?

Also make sure to point out that the hospital never sees the many many motorcyclists that get to work safely every day.

jdoorn14

Reaction score
Visit site
Do it the right way, just take her to the MSF class with you!

We'd have to hope for a no show for her to get in as well. The courses offered by the local community college are pretty much full by the end of Jan, though none of them start until April, I think. Plus, she has already told me she has no plans to ever ride with me, should I get one.

Take the MSF course and get experience. The best is to ride with seasoned riders that'll hopefully watch you and call you on bad habits.

:thumbup: That's the plan!

life is too short, she'll get over it and maybe even learn to like it... she won't tell you this but she'll think you are sexier too

:cool: I knew there had to be side benefits. LOL

Proficient Motorcycling book is a good place to start

Found people here recommended this and several others. I have already picked up used copies of many of the books recommended in this forum. Obviously, reading means nothing without doing...but that will come.

Tell your wife its your midlife crisis, its the bike or another woman lol.

This topic has already come up...I'm only 33, so it might be a little early for that. Maybe a pre-midlife crisis though...

Last edited:

Gimper

Reaction score
Visit site
I was about the same age when I decided to take the course and get a bike. I bought an older cruiser as to not invest alot at first until i was sure i would like it. My wife wasn't real happy but didn't say much since it was something i really wanted to do and try. After a year i need something a little sportier and more reliable. my wife didn't want me spending money on another bike and thought it would be better spend elsewhere. I ended up trading mine in for my 05 FZ and when she saw it she didn't talk to me for a couple of days but she got over it. years later she doesn't want me to get rid of it because she may want to get her license and use it. I would explain that this is something that you REALLY want to try and make sure you gear up every time you are out on the bike. I am sure she will come around. Good Luck and enjoy the course.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden bikes on and off since I was 13, so when I decided to come back to full-time riding about 5 years ago my wife had no issues with it. Heck.. she ended up taking MSF course and getting her license just few weeks after I got mine.
If I did have to try to convince her, I would mention the following:

1. MSF course is not a commitment to buying a motorcycle. It's the perfect way to figure out if it's for me at all (and if it is, it will keep me much safer on the road in the future).
2. Large majority of moto fatalities are riders who have never taken MSF course (I don't have exact numbers on hand, but it's something like 98%).
3. MSF is a defense driving course and provides insurance discount for 3 years (does not always apply)

Based on what you mentioned in original posts, you have what it takes to become a safe and responsible rider (of course you won't know about the physical aspect of riding until you try.. but your mind is in the right place).

On a lighter note: I did have a father and son team in one of my classes who told their ladies they were going on a fishing trip for the weekend :rof:

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
I said to my wife few years ago that I have always wanted to ride a bike but was never in a situation that I could either afford or really had a place to keep it or much time to ride it so never really got around to it. Last year I said that I will be taking the MSF course just to see if I want to ride, 2 months later I came across this 05 fz6. She was all for it and just told me to be carefull as she wants me to come home after my ride. Funny story the guy I got the bike from, his wife was a nurse and she was glad it was being sold as she was worried about her husband as she has seen her share of bike wrecks victims. Just try to ensure her that you will do whatever it takes to be as safe as possible, I think at the end that's all they want to hear. good luck

jdoorn14

Reaction score
Visit site
1. MSF course is not a commitment to buying a motorcycle. It's the perfect way to figure out if it's for me at all (and if it is, it will keep me much safer on the road in the future).

Check.

2. Large majority of moto fatalities are riders who have never taken MSF course (I don't have exact numbers on hand, but it's something like 98%).

Good Point. I read something recently that had a very similar statistic.

3. MSF is a defense driving course and provides insurance discount for 3 years (does not always apply)

Check. From what others have told me, I think this is true for most insurance companies in MI.

On a lighter note: I did have a father and son team in one of my classes who told their ladies they were going on a fishing trip for the weekend :rof:

Ha! We have been planning a Disney World vacation for this spring and I told my wife that I had a workshop the week before Memorial Day--I didn't tell her it was an MSF course. She never asked what it was, she just accepted that we couldn't go that week.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great stories in this thread. I've been riding since about 12, but had a 20 year gap when I moved back to the mid-west. I let the wife know I was going to sign up for the MSF class, but it took a few years to finally get in.

Riding came right back to me and I re-learned some valuable tips. Bought a 125 Yamaha scooter next season and she was okay with that. Two years go by and I am looking for a real motorcycle and she was not very happy. Found a bargain on my FZ6 and she gave me grief, but in the end she just went along with it.

She has only been on the back twice and doesn't really care for it. No interest in driving either. My son on the other hand, is dying to get on the scooter this year. He took the MSF last year, but never got around to getting his license. Mom is not too happy about that prospect either.

But with gas getting close to $5 a gallon, you can say you'll be saving major money by riding the bike. Just two days a week will save big money, honey!

Good luck and ride safe!

jdoorn14

Reaction score
Visit site
But with gas getting close to $5 a gallon, you can say you'll be saving major money by riding the bike.

Did I mention that my primary vehicle is a Chevy Trailblazer (midsize SUV for those that don't know) and my daily commute is ~25 miles by freeway or ~30 miles by secondary roads each way?

With gas at $5/gal, the ROI on a motorcycle would be pretty short, assuming sufficient warm/dry days to ride.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did I mention that my primary vehicle is a Chevy Trailblazer (midsize SUV for those that don't know) and my daily commute is ~25 miles by freeway or ~30 miles by secondary roads each way?

With gas at $5/gal, the ROI on a motorcycle would be pretty short, assuming sufficient warm/dry days to ride.

There you go, logical reason to pick up a bike! How could she argue with that???

D

Dave.TX

My last GF liked bikes to a point, wasn't for or against me getting one. I didn't get one until we broke up and now my current GF just went on a ride with me last Sunday, first time 2 up. She's a former ER nurse too and has seen it all but loves riding. There's smart and there's stupid. Smart riders go to MSF and do it the right way. Ride with experienced riders that can critique your good and bad habits. I'm not worried about me on the road, I'm worried about everyone else around me. It is totally different than driving. You are much more alert and when you aren't is when things jump out at you and you have issues. Riding can be done safely and is all the time. There are inherent risks of course. Gear up is the best you can do. If she's warming up to it now ease her into it.

The FZ6 was my first motorcycle. I got it when I was 41 (Sept 2011). I wasn't completely inexperienced, though. It's a great bike, all around goodness! Welcome to the site and keep us updated.

D

Dave.TX

On another note if she's going to use the trauma nurse bit take this into consideration: If I used the same logic toward my job then I wouldn't trust anyone, everyone is armed and out to kill me until proven otherwise. I'm a cop, by the way. If I thought everyone was like the folks I met on the job every day then I'd be a wreck. I know a majority of people that I don't see every day are good people that don't need me. Unfortunately those people don't call me to say everything is OK and I'm not needed. Kind of like the ER at a hospital, healthy people don't just show up to say "hello, I'm healthy, nothing wrong with me". As stated earlier she doesn't see the higher percentage of folks that do ride everyday and aren't injured.

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
I waited a long time to get a motorcycle. (into my 40's) Mainly until my kids were older and more independent but partially because I was a knucklehead when I was younger and probably would have died doing something stupid. My wife was fine with it because she grew up around motorcycles. Her parents each had their own and her brother drag raced bikes professionally. Now that she has ridden on the back of mine, she wants one of her own. Take the course, show her it can be safe, and she'll get used to the idea.

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I had also planned on taking the MSF course before I got my first bike, but I just started looking for a bike before I even signed up for the class. Long story short, I ended up buying an '05 FZ6, before I took the course. My girlfriend was completely fine with me getting a bike, since her father has road for a very long time, before she was even born. She was actually excited about me getting it!! :BLAA:

Found people here recommended this and several others. I have already picked up used copies of many of the books recommended in this forum. Obviously, reading means nothing without doing...but that will come.

What were the other books that you got? I am taking a trip down to Florida this summer with some friends, and would like to be able to read a few motorcycle related books.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
We're wives, we worry. Just the way it's going to be. I have ridden for 7 years, the hubby for 8. I still worry about him, and I'm sure he worries about me too. Do what you can to minimize risks and prove to her that you'll be smart about it. She may never "come around" but she might accept it as part of your life.

My parents don't ride. No one in my family does. My mom was not happy when I got my bike, but when I ride I gear up, I show her that I am a responsible rider. I don't hide it from her, but I don't rub her nose in it either. She has grown to accept it, but I know she worries when I head out. She's a mom, she'll do that.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^^^
What Keira said.

Mike worries about me on the bike just like I worry about him. Thing is, we're both sensible when we ride, and careful. We could just as easily get hit by a bus whilst crossing the road.

My dad used to ride bikes. He wishes I didn't ride. Even at my age, ATGATT etc etc - he and my mum still worry about me.

In the end, you do things because you love doing them. Nobody can stop you from doing what you want, just respect their opinion, right or wrong.