Who went to Deals Gap? I did!!!!

Who Went To Deals Gap This Weekend IDID!!!!

• Yeah I went had a good time

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Went and I got behind you. Your slow

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Thought about it but didn't go

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • NO!!! I didn't get to go

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • No I didn't get to go and Jeff you are a Bast**d for going without me

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, a mini vacation that was planned about 3 weeks ago finally happened. A trip to DEALS GAP!!!! This weekend I was able to shoot down and do a little riding on some awesome roads. It was a much needed ride since I have not been down there since last July.. So my needs have been met I finally got my second piece of tail...

The trip started on a cold cold Saturday morning about 8 am. The temperature was in the 30's leaving out. The sun was in the making of warming the day up but it had a long way to go. It was a pretty easy ride down US27 leaving out of Lexington, Ky. There were a few hairy sections that crossed over rivers and beside lakes. Since there were some 70 or so degree days the water warmed up a bit. Cold air + warm water = fog + very cold temps = frost on the face shield of my helmet.. Nothing I could not work around.

I followed US27 all the way down into Tennessee ( few goods sections of sweeps and twistys but few and far between) where I then picked up TN68 and stopped by Watts Bar Dam and snapped a few picks. Only a few I was on a mission......... Cherohala Skyway was on my mind. Few miles down 68 I then pulled onto the Skyway where 60 to 70 mph sweeps were a must. Stopped at a few look out points and snapped a few pictures and then I was on my way. Just before leaving the Skyway I was flagged down and stopped and was told to be careful because a biker was down in the curve ahead. As I slowed and drove through the mass of people and volunteers I seen that there was a Harley mangled up in the dirt and a man lay on his back bleeding from the forehead and nose. (he only had one of those helmets that covered 10% of his head) On my way to the gap.....

US129 sign in view as I take a left and wind her up a bit. As I pass all the adrenaline junkies whitewater rafting.. Wait a second what am I about to do 318 curves 11 miles hell yeah can't wait.
Snap a few pics of the dam at the south end to get myself calmed down a bit.. Don't wanna get crazy out there and sit on the side of the rode bleeding like the other guy. Zip up the hill and stop at the gas station to get some pics of the "Tree of Shame" (since I did not get any last July). Rest my legs a few gear back up and head out again now on the Dragon. Was going at a casual pace not wanting to get over my head. I was passed by one of the locals. I overtook a few people myself. Having a good time almost to the end when I look in my mirror and see a damn Goldwing trying to make love to my bike. I notice the bike as I have seen it on Killboy quite often. Alright so I had to get serious I can't let a Goldwing pass me. Geared her down leaned a little further and put some distance between me and the "Wing". Pulled of at the north end and snapped a few ore pics and then set off for the Foothills
Parkway.

:thumbup:

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
As I pulled onto the Foothills Parkway my heart began to slow down. The views were back in sight and was able to relax. Pulled off at a few lookout points and snapped a few pics. It was getting to be around half past 5 and I needed to find a room to stay. Rode over to Alcoa,Tn and checked into a Holiday Inn Express (No jokes please that horse has been beaten enough) Then walked over to Texas Roadhouse and had a few beers and fried catfish.(yuma dum dum)

Checked out Sunday morning and started to head back to Lexington. Taking a really long route US321 to TN95 a cut across in Oak Ridge to Oliver Springs jumped on 330 it turned into 116 quick stop in Lake City to take out the liner in the gear and a potty break. (FYI stay away from 116 nice curves but the pavement sucks). Hopped on US25W into Lafollette and then jumped on TN63 on my way to Cumberland Gap. Jumped on US25E and went through the coolest tunnel I have ever been through. Jumped off into the Cumberland Gap National Park took a very hairy road to the top (twisty twisty twisty not the fun kind the scary kind) Took a few nice pics. Headed back out US25 found KY11 followed it to US421 back into Lexington, KY all in all a great trip.. One of the best parts total fuel bill $22.32 around 750 miles. (speedohealer you know how that goes)

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keira and i almost went for our honeymoon, but the weather wasn't looking good enough, for riding aggressively so we went to Mexico instead...

I still want to head there sooner or later...

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_2963.jpg

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a good time!! A friend and I have been talking about trailering out bikes out there and having a little fun. We are in Missouri and I just don't wanna ride that far to ride, some enjoy that but I don't. I am only good for about 200-300 miles in a day depending on roads and weather, wind is such killer. Glad you stayed safe hope you enjoyed yourself, oh buy the way lets see some of those cool down pics you took!

:needpics:

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
Once I get some more pics on Phototbucket I will post. Dag-um thing is running slow today. It might be the 12 mega-pixel pics also :spank:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah... nice. It's been about 3 years or more since we have been in that part of the country and those pics are making me wanna go back. We are well over due for another family vacation to the ocean and we always drive through the Smoky Mountains. Been going to Branson for the last 3 years because it so convenient for us at only 5 hours away. In fact we are heading back to Branson in about three weeks. Thanks for the PICS.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent Jeff!

I haven't been but will be going in May. My wife and I are heading down and will stay with a friend in TN. We'll be touring the area for a week! :D

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent Jeff!

I haven't been but will be going in May. My wife and I are heading down and will stay with a friend in TN. We'll be touring the area for a week! :D

:rockon: Cool deal man.. It took about 5 1/2 hours to get there from here. So I will be taking lots of weekend trips when the weather becomes more reliable. :D

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Great pics Jeff, now unload your bike, drop a gear and get out of my way!!!! Kidding of course, hope you can join us in June, this served to whet the apetite even more for the upcoming trip. :rockon:
Brian

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Jeff, I know it says you're from Princeton, Indiana, but did I read somewhere that you're at the Georgetown Toyota plant for a while? The reason I ask is because I'm from Lexington and you mentioned that you left from and returned to Lexington.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the web address of a local forum where I've met tons of great people to ride with. We rode Saturday, 27 sportbikes, down through Daniel Boone National Forest...Natural Bridge, Red River Gorge, etc. Tons of great roads down that way and you're more than welcome to join us if you're going to be around here for a while.

Then again, if you're still in Princeton...lol...you can probably disregard this. Of course, you'd still be welcome to come ride with us anytime!

Scotty1122

Cincy ZRX Hooligan
Reaction score
Visit site
Hoping to make it down this year. Taking the ZRX to a rally in Skeenah, Ga. and hoping to tie the gap in!:thumbup: