Who likes cats? (Maybe NSFW, but probably okay)

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
I enjoyed and thought I would share:

n40501621_32933445_4143.jpg

P.S. Didn't someone always have a cat in their avatar?

H

HavBlue

I used to work with this type of cat and found them to be totally awesome and very elusive.

H

HavBlue

Serious??? where at? I've always wanted to work with wild animals. Very cool.

Very serious.. While on the CNF (Cleveland National Forest) we had tagged 4 of them. Two males and two females so we could gather range data. Unfortunately one got taken out by a cager while crossing the freeway early in the morning near Villa Park. The neat thing about them is their habits are quite similar to the common domestic house cat in that they do not roar like the African lion and they do purrrrrrrrr. Their attack strategies are also very similar to the domestic. Basically, this is a 150 pound house cat with a strong desire to stay alive in a place where human encroachment has made things very difficult for them. They're an awesome animal.......

J

jsteinb95

Very serious.. While on the CNF (Cleveland National Forest) we had tagged 4 of them. Two males and two females so we could gather range data. Unfortunately one got taken out by a cager while crossing the freeway early in the morning near Villa Park. The neat thing about them is their habits are quite similar to the common domestic house cat in that they do not roar like the African lion and they do purrrrrrrrr. Their attack strategies are also very similar to the domestic. Basically, this is a 150 pound house cat with a strong desire to stay alive in a place where human encroachment has made things very difficult for them. They're an awesome animal.......

That is so awesome. I'm jealous. I love big cats!!!

H

HavBlue

That is so awesome. I'm jealous. I love big cats!!!

Get a good look because these animals are currently listed as endangered. As human populations grow their respective habitats are growing smaller which means the possibilities for human contact are becoming greater and this is a huge problem as they do not fear human kind. There was a post over the the Heston thread where the person walked in a mountain lion habitat carrying a pistol or something. Little does this person know that if the cat wants him that gun will not likely save him as the cat has stalked him and will strike from the rear in a manner he may not even know about until it is beyond too late. This is the ultimate hunter and beyond stealthy. Yeah, Felis concolor is breathtaking and so beautiful....

Y

yukon_alex

There have been a number of cougar sightings within the city of Whitehorse. The mule deer is making a comeback after over hunting and, apparently, the cougars have followed them north. Haven't yet seen one myself, but I always keep an eye out (the hill that they have been spotted on is off my back deck).

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a good look because these animals are currently listed as endangered. As human populations grow their respective habitats are growing smaller which means the possibilities for human contact are becoming greater and this is a huge problem as they do not fear human kind. There was a post over the the Heston thread where the person walked in a mountain lion habitat carrying a pistol or something. Little does this person know that if the cat wants him that gun will not likely save him as the cat has stalked him and will strike from the rear in a manner he may not even know about until it is beyond too late. This is the ultimate hunter and beyond stealthy. Yeah, Felis concolor is breathtaking and so beautiful....

such a scary thought too.... I saw a documentary on Nat Geo about a tribe in India that would wear masks on the back of their heads so tigers wouldn't know which side to attack from..... they figured it out before too long. Breathtakin, beautiful, and extremely intelligent!

H

HavBlue

such a scary thought too.... I saw a documentary on Nat Geo about a tribe in India that would wear masks on the back of their heads so tigers wouldn't know which side to attack from..... they figured it out before too long. Breathtakin, beautiful, and extremely intelligent!

Yeah, these cats are flat super intelligent and when you think you have out foxed them so to speak, they throw you a huge curve. The current problems facing the likes of the Bengal tiger are very sad. The following is courtesy of National Geographic:

"There were eight tiger subspecies at one time, but three became extinct during the 20th century. Over the last 100 years, hunting and forest destruction have reduced tiger populations from hundreds of thousands of animals to perhaps fewer than 2,500. Tigers are hunted as trophies, and also for body parts that are used in traditional Chinese medicine. All five remaining tiger subspecies are endangered, and many protection programs are in place."

Fewer than 2,500 animals in 5 subspecies is heartbreaking at the very least. So, we can spend money in the billions for some crazy programs but we can't stop the loss of species and unnecessary endangerments we as humans pose simply because we need more space to develop or their is a buck to be made.