white smoke after biked warmed up

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks getting dark to see thngs now but will check plugs. Another question i know its a screw in dip stick but where should the oil be as after removing some oil its still covering all the hatched markings. I don't suspect previous guy of tinkering with any remaps or after market exhausts. I can still contact him as he is a local lad.

...sounds like there is too much oil in the system. Keep removing oil from the system until the level goes IN BETWEEN the hatched-marking zone on the dipstick. IF you still have problems after doing this, let us know.

Motofish

Reaction score
Visit site
And if your coolant levels are lower than normal and your exhaust smells strange? This is a guarenteed blown head gasket? What does this run? Sorry for the questions but I believe I may have that problem...

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
And if your coolant levels are lower than normal and your exhaust smells strange? This is a guarenteed blown head gasket? What does this run? Sorry for the questions but I believe I may have that problem...

Just about guaranteed. If it is it will be running pretty crappy unless its a tiny little leak. Check your oil, if it is foamy and white then your motor is shot. Check your plugs, if they are oily then you have a big problem. If it is coolant in the combustion chamber then it will smell a burning sickly sweet smell. Hold a cold glass plate up to the exhaust on a warm day and see if water starts forming, not just fogging the glass, but getting the thing wet. If it is then you need to do a compression test and find out where the problem is. Make sure you do this after the motor is warmed up.

Motofish

Reaction score
Visit site
I just checked the dipstick and the oil looks like normal oil, not white or frothy. Should I drain some from the bottom or get a syringe to pull some from the top? thanks for the advice, i'm feeling a little sick.

The bike has been running a little less than smooth lately (but I'm used to an older carbed bike so it felt normal).

Last edited:

Motofish

Reaction score
Visit site
Time for a compression test. That is the only way to tell whats going on now short of finding somebody with an exhaust sniffer.:(

Thanks trailblazer. I called my mechanic and described the problem and he too recommended a compression test. The garage is about 15 miles away and I don't have a trailer. Do you think I would avoid further damage if I changed the oil before making the trip? the bike was running alright before I noticed the disappearance of coolant.

rbi.noli

Reaction score
Visit site
This should probably go in the hall of shame.

Well, I just bought this bike a couple of months ago and immediately dumped a ton of oil in. Yes, I'm in idiot.

So after I ran it for a moment (tons of white smoke), turned it off, emptied it out, found the dipstick, refilled it to the appropriate level, and shazam, bike back to normal. Or so I thought.

A month later and I'm having white smoke coming out again. It is very humid, and there is a lot of water dripping. The smoke smells a bit like oil and the inside of the left hand pipe is completely black (they are aftermarket, if that matters).

Usually it only smokes when I start it up. It warms up and goes away. Today, however, I noticed it smoking a lot on the road, well after it warmed up.

It now smokes out of both pipes (which makes me think it is coming from all cylinders, instead of the cyl connected to the lefthand pipe). Perhaps I am making incorrect assumptions.

Do you guys think this is related to the oil or to the humidity? Why would there be more smoke than before unless it is the humidity (it was raining a bit when I drove)?

If it is a matter of extra oil, whats the next step (I'm trying to learn the bike inside and out but nothing too complicated...).

Hall of shame.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The exhaust outlets are tied to a common pipe..... there's no way to know which cylinder may have problems. If you have looked at the plugs, and done a compression test, you will have a good idea of what is going on.

Too much oil in the cases generally leads to the excess getting pumped into the air box by way of the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve... that gets dumped in after the air filter, and has a straight shot into the cylinders.

If enough liquid gets into a cylinder (in our case that's only about 13cc) to occupy all of the volume available at TDC (top dead center), something will have to give. Hydraulic lock will occur, or something will bend. Maybe it's just the rings that get bent off the cylinder wall..... maybe a connecting rod gets shoved into the crank so hard is scores the bearing.... maybe that rod bends first, and gouges the cylinder wall.

You need to make sure of what is going on. Stop running the motor at all, until you have this sorted out. More running will almost certainly result in more damage.

1) open your air box, and look at the condition of the air box, on the intake side of the air filter. If it's covered in oil..... you can start to suspect what has happened. If it's dry and clean? Yay. Maybe not so bad!

2) pull the spark plugs and look at their condition.

3) while you have the plugs out, use a compression gauge to see what level of sealing you have left in all four cylinders. The guage measures how much air pressure the piston and rings can create.... it checks the seals betwen the pitson and cylinder wall, as well as the sealing of the valves and their seats. All four should read very nearly equal. If one is 'out' by more than around 7-10%..... there's a problem. A lower number means a seal is 'blown'...... a higher number would mean there is liquid entering a cylinder. That's generally due to a leak in the head gasket.

There's a fair chance that the damage is limited to the rings having been lifted out of their normal route on the cylinder wall. This would require new rings.... but that would be far cheaper than a spun bearing or the like.

More serious damage would almost certainly have seized the motor by now.

rbi.noli

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!

Well, I opened up the air box. There was enough oil that when it was tilted on the kickstand, the oil was almost going into the leftmost engine intake. I wanted to check the plugs but I don't have the correct sized wrench. I'll head down the road to my uncles, who probably does have it. There I'll check the spark plugs and compression. At least now there won't be more oil going in. If there is a lot of oil in the engine, how would I clean it out?
-B

Thanks again!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you unscrew the oil filter (without damaging it) that will take 1/3 quart or so out. Turn the filter upside down to get more out if needed...

Or, mess with the drain plug but you'll probably make a heck of a mess and loose more oil than you want to.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks!

Well, I opened up the air box. There was enough oil that when it was tilted on the kickstand, the oil was almost going into the leftmost engine intake................

If there is a lot of oil in the engine, how would I clean it out?
-B

Thanks again!

Engine oil inside the combustion chambers only has a couple of ways out.... hopefully, it goes out the exhaust valve, and exits via the exhaust pipe. (pumped out, just like spent fuel/air)

The only other direction possible is past the piston rings, into the sump..... where the oil normally exists. Once you ahve removed the source of oil, and cleared out the air box, you won't flood the cylinders with more oil.

If you had already lowered the oil in the pan to the correct level as indicated on the dipstick, cleaning out the air box is about all you need to do with regard to excess oil.