High Frequency Seat Vibrations eliminated!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To bring folks up to speed, my 07 fell off the side stand (not running) HARD..
After repairing /replacing all the damaged parts(including the left side pod),

I had NEW vibrations(high frequency), about 4,500 RPM's plus.

I recently posted about Iridium spark plugs helping with vibs (engine RPM related):

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/57046-iridium-spark-plug-not-forever.html

Shortly thereafter I still had some annoying vibs thru the seat, rt peg even after the new plugs, which did help...

All engine mounts were re-torqued (none loose), engine supported and re-tightened, exhaust, rear sub-frame torqued, etc with no help...

I re-syned TB's yesterday (mostly because of the plug change out). They were still well within
spec but now are at about 2mm's at idle AND at a steady 4,000 RPM's.

A test ride yesterday, after the sync, did not help...

**This am, I loosened ALL the rear sub-frame bolts (four bolts). I lifted / moved the rear and let it settle
back down to its own position and re-torqued the sub-frame bolts.

Success!! The vib's I'd been chasing SINCE the TIP OVER were gone...

Apparently, when the bike hit the driveway(concrete), it shifted the rear sub-frame.
Although I checked / tightened all the sub-frame bolts back then, the rear sub-frame was "tweaked",
(not bent), but just not in its natural position.

The key is / was, to loosen the rear sub-frame so it'll physically move/settle and THEN re-tighten..

The bike is back to normal WITHOUT those annoying vibs... I don't believe THIS
"procedure" had been addressed anywhere however it did work, especially if your bike
has had a tip over.

Just don't re-torque BUT fully loosen and re-tighten.

As a side note, the upper 2 bolts have a nut inside the frame. The upper left side nut is
ONLY ACCESSIBLE by raising the rear of the tank about 2", then reaching in with a 14mm wrench..

Hope this helps others!!:rockon:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
7-31-16, update.

After the above posting, I started getting some vibs again, minor and not as bad STILL thru the seat and pegs (now moved from
only the right side to lightly on both sides).

I have posted previously of using Yamaha's Ringfee fuel additive in all my machines including the FZ.
Last night I added some extra (and a short ride) with no difference. It sat overnight with the heavier mix.

This am, I added some more, a total of approx 2 oz to the tank. Normal mix is 1 oz / 10 gallons so its about 4 x's heavier than recommended.

I did NOT do ANYTHING ELSE and the bike is NOW running smooth all the way up to red line without
the vibs, Back to normal! (at least for now!) The bike was run for about 20 miles, dogged to red line, triple digits, and
in the 4-6K which was the worst "vib wise". A smoother idle too..

I guess one of the injectors had some crap in it that the heavy dose finally cleared it out.

Ringfree is VERY POPULAR in the marine world and was always recommended by me. This heavy dose just kept me from selling the bike as I was tired of chasing vibs..

Anyway here's the link and what to try. Again, 2 oz in your tank should help and certainly can't hurt.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/ring-free-plus?b=Search&d=34

I cannot express how well it works (AND that I'm keeping my baby!!!)

Its not cheap BUT is much cheaper than sending out injectors, chasing a vib (un-seen, etc)..

Hopefully, I'm done now chasing vibs but wanted to share for others as a very potential fix..

Last edited: