Which saddlebags fit the best? And provide the most storage?

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
So I had a tank bag (straps) on my old GS. however it won't fit on my FZ. So rather than looking for magnetic tank bag, i thought i'd try the saddlebags. Anybody have recommendations? I'd like some that a passenger can still ride with(if possible) and provide enough storage. i've seem some that have the side saddlebags, and another that sits on the back seat, i like this idea. but only if i can take off the center one when a passenger wants to ride.

I'm not partial to hard or soft, just whatever is the right price for the right gear.

Thanks in advance!

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking at Cortech Sports, and Fieldsheer Expanders. Although it seems the Fieldsheer expanders are discontinued? Anybody have some they want to part with? :]

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
The Cortechs look great when installed. Depending on your price range, there are quite a few out there. These are the few I would consider. I have the Givi's, but I do wonder if some of the soft ones may be a much better overall deal. I want/ed the bags to look very integrated.

Givi V35s

Cortech Sport Saddlebags

These appear relatively new and look great,

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System Yamaha FZ6-S2, '07-'11 - HTA.06.740.10200 : TwistedThrottle.com

There is also Kriega. They have a modular system.

All depends on what you're looking for.

I also have the Ogio Tailbag and find it to be great. Plenty of storage, very integrated. You wouldn't have storage with a passenger, but it may be an interim solution...

Last edited:

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_0333.jpg

In the UK the Oxford cheap and cheeful with velcro straps which I put under the seat worked well and didnt melt on the exhaust even with a rubber anti slip mat to protect the paintwork- didnt even need bungees

A magnetic Oxford tank bag and a Givi sat nav waterproof case mounted on the bars I was off!

summerb37

Reaction score
Visit site
So I had a tank bag (straps) on my old GS. however it won't fit on my FZ. So rather than looking for magnetic tank bag, i thought i'd try the saddlebags. Anybody have recommendations? I'd like some that a passenger can still ride with(if possible) and provide enough storage. i've seem some that have the side saddlebags, and another that sits on the back seat, i like this idea. but only if i can take off the center one when a passenger wants to ride.

I'm not partial to hard or soft, just whatever is the right price for the right gear.

Thanks in advance!

I like hard cases personally and favored GIVI cases. I went with the largest top case --55-- and finally decided on GIVi's 41s vs their 35s. My tank back is a bag connections bag which clips on to a mount that is located on the gas tank vs a magnetic bag (scratches your tank eventually).

A picture of the setup is included.

lake_harley

Reaction score
Visit site
I just joined this forum a couple days ago after buying a 2005 FZ6 on Thursday. As crazy as it might sound, I had been looking for a bike that I could use for some solo touring, and was only going to buy a bike that would work using my Cortech sidebags (I have two sets) and tailbag. They're the "teardrop" shaped Tourmaster (?) sidebags. I don't know if it would work to put the straps under the seat, but they sure fit the bike well with the adjustable velcro'd straps over the seat. Maybe a passenger could use a pad of some sort over them for more comfort. I was so set on being able to use my existing bags I took them along to try on the bike before I was going to buy it. If you'd like, I could try to get a picture or two with them on, but it might take me a few days to do that.

BTW...just in the little I've ridden my FZ6 since buying it, I think it's going to be around a while!

Lynn

Last edited:

RedRocket

Reaction score
Visit site
Originally I was using Fieldsheer soft bags left over from my GS500 but later upgraded to a Givi set. I purchased the E21 which are big enough for commuting, but are too small for touring. I will probably end up purchasing the E41s. I strongly prefer the hard cases. They lock which makes them more practical for running errands. Also, I think the hard cases feel more secure at highway speeds.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the SW Motech Blaze Bags. they are fantastic and super easy to get on and off. one tip though, if you get these. use the strong loctite on all of the bolts (i didnt and lost a couple). i would still get a magnetic tank bag too, and as long as you dont drag them, they DONT scratch the paint.

AthensGA37

Reaction score
Visit site
The Cortechs look great when installed. Depending on your price range, there are quite a few out there. These are the few I would consider. I have the Givi's, but I do wonder if some of the soft ones may be a much better overall deal. I want/ed the bags to look very integrated.

Givi V35s

Cortech Sport Saddlebags

These appear relatively new and look great,

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System Yamaha FZ6-S2, '07-'11 - HTA.06.740.10200 : TwistedThrottle.com

There is also Kriega. They have a modular system.

All depends on what you're looking for.

I also have the Ogio Tailbag and find it to be great. Plenty of storage, very integrated. You wouldn't have storage with a passenger, but it may be an interim solution...

I definitely like these..but at a little over $300 wouldn't it be worth it more to save for the hard givis? hah i was thinking more around $150 or less for some soft ones..

Also, is there a difference in cortech sports and cortech tribag saddlebags? (other than one with a tail bag?)

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelson Rigg makes good cheap soft bags, but there's no side support and they are a one size fits all kind of set-up. They're made really well and hold more than my bags but with the undertail exhaust there would probably be issues. unless youre looking to be able to store an extra full-face helmet, a decent set of soft cases will fit a weeks worth of stuff, and add a rollbag on top and your set to go.

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been using the Cortechs, either with or without the tail-bag, vice versa, and have found them to be very versatile. Total capacity is about 50 liters? I think. I did a week long trip from North Ga. to Mammoth Cave, Indianapolis, back down thru Cumberland and home with everything I needed on a solo trip.