Which is the best way to turn off my engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimis

Reaction score
Visit site
I heard that turning off my FZ6 S2 from the kill swich can cause problems to my engine and tha the best way is by turning it off from the key. What's the truth?

This has been discussed in another thread, but I can't recall where it is. I'm in the habit of turning off my bike with the kill switch for a couple of reasons.

One: By doing so, you are familiarizing yourself with the switch, so in case of an emergency, you can pretty much hit it with your eyes closed.

Two: If you are in the habit of using the key to turn off the bike, how will you know if the kill switch is working? Just like everthing else, like lights, horn, signals, you have to check and make sure it's working. Escpecially if it's an emergency.

I'm sure some other members will come up with a couple of good reasons why you shouldn't use the kill switch.

This has been discussed in another thread, but I can't recall where it is. I'm in the habit of turning off my bike with the kill switch for a couple of reasons.

One: By doing so, you are familiarizing yourself with the switch, so in case of an emergency, you can pretty much hit it with your eyes closed.

Two: If you are in the habit of using the key to turn off the bike, how will you know if the kill switch is working? Just like everthing else, like lights, horn, signals, you have to check and make sure it's working. Escpecially if it's an emergency.

I'm sure some other members will come up with a couple of good reasons why you shouldn't use the kill switch.

Nothing more to really add, Vegas is spot on in my book. I think that the thread evolved around a broken kill switch causing running problems. I use my kill switch so I know it is working. Also if I am riding at night and I don't want some lunatic to rear end me (even if I am parked off the road) I want to be visible.

Nelly

the ONLY possible downfall of the kill switch is if you forget to turn the key off after. other than that there is no reason to not use the kill switch. If you forget the key in the on position you could drain your battery and leave yourself open to theft, but if you take your key with you then no issues :thumbup:

^ exactly. otherwise how would it be possible for using the kill switch to be an issue other than for leaving the key on? where did you hear that it does? if you think about it, using the the key to turn off the bike is pretty much running under the same mechnism as the kill switch, both the same. only you benefit more from using the kill switch with the stated reasons as above.

I was told years ago that using the kill switch could damage a connection although I think those days are past.

There's nothing in the manual about it. It says use it to switch off in an emergency, but it doesn't do it.

As you should be removing the key anyway why not switch off using the key?

I heard that turning off my FZ6 S2 from the kill swich can cause problems to my engine and tha the best way is by turning it off from the key. What's the truth?

Sounds like Internet folklore. I'd be interested to hear the details.
I can't imagine how either method could cause engine damage on the FZ6.

I always use my key under normal riding conditions. I use the kill switch when I'm working on the bike which fulfills the testing requirement. ;)

Whilst in Neutral or with the clutch fully engaged simply turn the key counter-clockwise to the OFF position :tard:

I heard you were supposed to ride in 1st and just slam the brakes till the engine shuts off. j/k but I knew someone who would do this on their dirtbike.

I use the key. Periodically use the kill switch to test it. Then when I forget to turn the kill switch back on, I get pissed off until I realize what happend.

I heard you were supposed to ride in 1st and just slam the brakes till the engine shuts off.
Damn... you beat me to it.

I use the kill switch every time. Just a habit. And one I have no concerns about. I've been doing it for years on many bikes with no repercusions.

the ONLY possible downfall of the kill switch is if you forget to turn the key off after. other than that there is no reason to not use the kill switch. If you forget the key in the on position you could drain your battery and leave yourself open to theft, but if you take your key with you then no issues :thumbup:
I second the battery drain and theft issue. I am a noob and have drained the battery twice! Now I only turn it off w/ the key for the only reason, I Won't forget it!!!

I had a bike once that had a bad kill switch. Mechanic said it was from repeated use wearing it down. I've also left the key on and run a battery down. Either method should be fine. I usually just use the kickstand to kill it, then let the fan run a second. Then turn the key off. I do test the kill switch as part of my checklist. I usually hate myself when I forget to turn it back on and can't figure out why it won't start.

I'm in the habit of using my kill switch, putting the sidestand down and setting the bike down, then turning the key to off then to "lock". It's so natural to me now that it's all one swift motion. And since using the kill switch is part of everything, I don't have to worry about leaving it off and getting confused when the bike won't start.

I've always used the key and like Doorag, only use the kill when doing maint and testing. I know the Motorcycle BRC here teaches us to always use the kill switch. I don't have any issue with either way but as part of your routine check of the bike before riding, you should be checking it anyway so if it doesn't work, then you only have yourself to blame for not insuring proper operation.

What concerns me is the number of folks here that are having problems with them. I wouldn't say it is a MAJOR issue at this point but it certainly is a growing concern. Each of you that have issues should be yelling at Yamaha in turn. Your voalization could be the one that causes them to put out a service bulletin and save a life... possibly a forum member you've already befriended. If you have yelled, THANKS! If not, please do so at your earliest convenience! ;)

Out of habit I always use the switch. I think it stems from riding MotoX bikes that dont have keys. Hence the kill switch was the only option.

Another option is the side stand. If you dont want to wear out your kill switch (tho I doubt it would happen), simply flick down the side stand & bingo.

I'm in the habit of using my kill switch, putting the sidestand down and setting the bike down, then turning the key to off then to "lock". It's so natural to me now that it's all one swift motion. And since using the kill switch is part of everything, I don't have to worry about leaving it off and getting confused when the bike won't start.

Exactly what I do. It is just a switch like the ignition switch. Yamaha would not put the switch there if it would damage anything by its use. All things wear out with use, so don't worry about it. (Well my bike has 100,000 miles on it and is ready for the junk yard, but my kill switch is like brand new!:beer:)

Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back