Which is the best Sport - Touring Tyre right now?

Which Tyre is the best Sports/Touring Tyre for an FZ6?

• Pirelli Angel ST

Votes: 34 10.4%
  • Pirelli Diaclo Rosso

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 2CT

Votes: 106 32.5%
  • Bridgestone BT-023

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • Bridgestone BT-016

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Bridgestone BT-021

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • Conti Road Attack 2

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Avon Storm 2 Ultra

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z8

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • Metzeler Roadtec Z6

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Dunlop Sportsmax Roadsmart

Votes: 34 10.4%
  • Shinko Raven

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Michelin Pilot road 3

Votes: 45 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've just mounted some BT-023's and I'm very impressed. I'm coming from Roadsmarts, which I like as well. The BT-023's are lighter and tip in quicker. :thumbup:

O.K. Bryan, it's been few months now and I'm curious about a review on the BT023's as to how you still like them, how many miles you've put on them and how evenly they're wearing.

I pretty much shredded what was left on the front tire of my BT016's today but I still could probably get another 500 miles or so on the rear. That is to say I just got barely 4200 miles out of the set. I love the stickiness on the 016's but the mileage seems a little low and they seem to square off if you slab it too much. I'm leaning towards the Conti Road Attacks or the BT023's. :don'tknow:

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
i have 21's on the fz and pr2's on the tigger. but not enough miles on either to really say how much better they are for miles.

the fz had 20's on it (stockers) and the rear went 5-6,000 miles and the front about 8-9,000, (had a diablo on the rear after the 20 and that only lasted for about 3-4,000) and only have a couple thousand on the 21's so far but the wife is loving them so far (but she also dont have much to compare with either.)

the tiger came with pr's on it and i liked them they did fine in all that i put them through and never let me down (rain or shine. and i did about 500 miles in the rain in the mountians on my iron butt) but i do have to say so far the pr2's feel a little better in the rain and so far i cant tell that i have any miles on them.. will give update as miles go on.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
O.K. Bryan, it's been few months now and I'm curious about a review on the BT023's as to how you still like them, how many miles you've put on them and how evenly they're wearing.

I pretty much shredded what was left on the front tire of my BT016's today but I still could probably get another 500 miles or so on the rear. That is to say I just got barely 4200 miles out of the set. I love the stickiness on the 016's but the mileage seems a little low and they seem to square off if you slab it too much. I'm leaning towards the Conti Road Attacks or the BT023's. :don'tknow:

I have about 4K or so on them now. They are a great tire and I will continue to use them. I'll shoot some pics so you can see the wear.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got my horrible front stock tire off so now i have matching 2ct tires now. major improvement

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have about 4K or so on them now. They are a great tire and I will continue to use them. I'll shoot some pics so you can see the wear.

I'm just shy of 30 K miles and I put on the 023's at about 26 K. Hardly any squaring at all.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, that's pretty impressive Bryan. :eek:
Thanks for posting up the pics, it's very helpful to see an actual pic example of the wear. :thumbup:

cherndo23

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive heard the Metzlers do wonders but I don't do too many twisties. I commute a hundred miles a day in pretty much a straight line and notice they square off too damn fast. I was told to get a cruiser tire but on an fz6? newbie

jmun

Reaction score
Visit site
Upgraded to the FZ6 about a month ago with teh stock 020 tires with 700 miles on the Odometer, riding home in a bit of rain, tried an aggresive stop, and just skidded along- kept the brakes locked up to see how far I was gonna go. Went much farther then I expected to. Blamed it on the rain and my inexperience on teh bike.
At 3K miles, a light Im too far to run, changes from green to yellow, hit the brakes, start sliding, and immediately start the manual ABS system, good enough to stop in the crosswalk instead of in the middle of the intersection. Not impressed at all with the 020, will be looking at the michelins next, I dont think I have the patience to wait for these to wear out as recommended by my riding buddy.
At least I hope its the tires, I would expect the bike to be close to the stopping power of my 'ol ex500.
CYA

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
Upgraded to the FZ6 about a month ago with teh stock 020 tires with 700 miles on the Odometer, riding home in a bit of rain, tried an aggresive stop, and just skidded along- kept the brakes locked up to see how far I was gonna go. Went much farther then I expected to. Blamed it on the rain and my inexperience on teh bike.
At 3K miles, a light Im too far to run, changes from green to yellow, hit the brakes, start sliding, and immediately start the manual ABS system, good enough to stop in the crosswalk instead of in the middle of the intersection. Not impressed at all with the 020, will be looking at the michelins next, I dont think I have the patience to wait for these to wear out as recommended by my riding buddy.
At least I hope its the tires, I would expect the bike to be close to the stopping power of my 'ol ex500.
CYA

I feel you. I live on the coast and sometimes get stuck in some wet conditions...the stock 020's suck mega big in the rain. I found if I hit some of the tar lines wrong on the highway in the wet the bike would slip. Not a good feeling travelling in excess of 100kph.

I also have 2 plugs in the rear tire so I'm replacing them this week. I must say the wear has been excellent though. Makes me look to the 023's as a replacement...but for 50 dollars cheaper (at wholesale pricing, probably a bigger difference at retail prices??). I went with the Michelan Pilot Road 3's. A buddy has the 023's - they are nice, but I think the Road 3's will do much better in any damp or wet conditions. Along with that and the price, they are my choice. I will post up a mini review once I get some miles on them :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since this thread is still topical, i have re-opened the poll, and added Michelin Pilot Road 3's to the poll, as these tyres are now relevant to the arguement.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted for the Pirelli Angel STs. Slapped a rear one on my Buell before I sold it. Tire felt great, good grip too. Cant comment on the life of them, sold the bike after 100 miles on it :)

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I change my 021 (wasn't impress with those one, and happy to change them) for Continental Conti-Motion. They fit my budget ($255.00 for both, install - Cycle Gears) No complain at all. They feel very good. The 021 always gave me that greasy feel (no secure) and I'm not taking about the front tire cupping...

Got a bit over 3000 miles on the conti so far and I will go for another sets when those are done. They feel solid and I can grind pegs very confidently (Chicken strip about 3/8" to 1/2") Kind of hard to work on those in Florida... LOL

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
i only had stockers now pr3 , the pr3s have better grip in corners and grips good on wet roads

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT. Pretty nice so far, especially the front tire.

The roads here in Greece are very slippery, so I get some slides from the rear when pushing hard. Very sticky on good tarmac though and nice in wet conditions.

Only minor wear so far, and I already have abou 5000 km's

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've not ridden most of those thus my vote is invalid. :D

What I can say is the FZ1 came with the Dunlop 221's and while they are NOT a good tire, I was able to run them down to the cords with 12,105 miles on them. The last 2k miles was a handling experience so ANY tire I put on after that was a dream. But.... I needed a set of tires and at that moment that the center gave way, I went cheap.

I got a pair of Shinko Raven 009's for $182.00 shipped. I wasn't expecting a lot of these tires but after the first 600 miles in various weather, I have to say I am impressed! I scrubbed them off on the evening I put them on by taking the bike to a vacant parking lot. The next few trips out, I pushed them harder and harder and they never broke free all the way to the edge. I purposely took the bike to work the first available rainy day and pushed them from easy to very hard in the rain and once more, they held their own very well.

The only remaining test is time... what time will they wear out!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a pair of Shinko Raven 009's for $182.00 shipped. I wasn't expecting a lot of these tires but after the first 600 miles in various weather, I have to say I am impressed! I scrubbed them off on the evening I put them on by taking the bike to a vacant parking lot. The next few trips out, I pushed them harder and harder and they never broke free all the way to the edge. I purposely took the bike to work the first available rainy day and pushed them from easy to very hard in the rain and once more, they held their own very well.

The only remaining test is time... what time will they wear out!

I ran them on my FZ6 & like you was very suprised , they are a highly HIGHLY underrated tyre :thumbup: If my local stockist didnt retire i'd probably still use them , im guess he must of made his money out of them in the end ;)

Not many people know that Shinko is actually Yokohama Tyres motorcycle division :D

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not many people know that Shinko is actually Yokohama Tyres motorcycle division :D

I didn't know that until you just told me! :thumbup: I'm hoping Sunday will be a spirited run that further tests them but I have a LOT of work to do to the FZ1 Saturday to get ready. :eek: :thumbup: