Where should I ride to?

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying to decide where to ride to for my upcoming vacation. I have 18 days off starting on Sept 21st. I have tried planning several routes but am still unsure of where to go. I have considered a run down to Key West Florida or just a tour of the west coast to see some points I have not been to yet. Pounding away the miles on the highway does not bother me. I like the idea of Key West just because its somewhere new and far away that I have never been.

I have no problem with long days in the saddle covering a lot of ground. You can see where I have already been on my previous trip 2 years ago HERE. My starting point is Vancouver, BC. So where do you think I should go?

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! I visited the other site and, wow, some spectacular pics of scenery and how meticulously you packed for your 2007 trip. Now, about Florida---you're now in hurricane season (but I doubt that scares you much) while West Coast weather is is very nice this time. That's the only thing about Florida and environs right now---some risk of hurricaine blowing through you know. But, hey, you'd probably enjoy one.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't care where you go bro, but we will expect your pictorial report when you're done... I remember the last one and it was epic.

awill1

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. The last trip was amazing. Great pictures. Great captions. I thought you were kidding about riding to Florida when I first read this. Now, after seeing your last trip, anything other than Key West will be too short for you. The South America trip you mentioned in the other thread has always been a dream of mine.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
how about south down the Pacific coast to the LA area, then jump on the old
Route 66 trail, north east to Chicago, diagonally through America's heartland,
from there you would have a couple of options, north into Canada and hammer
along the highway through the prairies if yer in a hurry, or stay in the lower
48 through Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana etc. and jump back
into Canada at any point that suits you, don't know about doing that in 18
days though, route 66 is I believe at least 10

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
Well looks like I'm going to try something like this. . . .

travel.jpg

Everything is flexible so I may not follow this route or even make it to Florida. It may be a bit more then I can chew off in the time I have. Any one have any suggestions of things to see in the general area of my route? Suggestions for another route?
I have a few days left to get ready. For the most part I will be playing things day to day and winging it.

brico

Reaction score
Visit site
i sincerely admire you and am envious of you being able to take off for so long and enjoy the ride. Do it and enjoy every moment of it.

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying to decide where to ride to for my upcoming vacation. I have 18 days off starting on Sept 21st. I have tried planning several routes but am still unsure of where to go. I have considered a run down to Key West Florida or just a tour of the west coast to see some points I have not been to yet. Pounding away the miles on the highway does not bother me. I like the idea of Key West just because its somewhere new and far away that I have never been.

I have no problem with long days in the saddle covering a lot of ground. You can see where I have already been on my previous trip 2 years ago HERE. My starting point is Vancouver, BC. So where do you think I should go?

Do you even realize how incredibly cool and beautiful the pics in your other thread are :confused::confused:

:rockon:

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

If you end up sticking to that route and don't feel like camping in Albuquerque during the "monsoon season" :rof:, I've got an extra bed in my apartment.

That's great. I will keep it in mind. I am traveling with my laptop so I will let you know if I need a place to stop. :thumbup:

zmeiaspas said:
Do you even realize how incredibly cool and beautiful the pics in your other thread are

Hehe yah I do. I look at my pictures now and then And have shared them with a lot of friends and family. I still get e-mails now from time to time of people thanking me for sharing them. It's really cool. I doubt this trip will have near the number of photos as last though.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are a few pics of Key West, August, 2009:

(in one you can see a road sign of the famous Highway One at the island's major exit/enter intersection.)

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
You should DEFINITELY go up in the Gateway Arch when you pass through St Louis. It is an amazing experience. About 630 feet tall, and windows on both sides at the top to look out.
View attachment 21826 :thumbup:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you travel further west in the northern part of the US before heading south you can do Skyline drive and BlueRidge Parkway which will pretty much drop you right at Deal's Gap/Dragon's Tail. It's some great scenary in the mountains. It is almost 500 miles long but the speed limit is 45mph and it isn't a very straight 500 miles :thumbup:.

Welcome to the Blue Ridge Parkway
Blue Ridge Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)

It may be worth getting in touch with bmccrary or his dad I think they ride some of that area and may be willing to tag along as they love to put in some heavy miles.

chihuahuastud

Reaction score
Visit site
Well looks like I'm going to try something like this. . . .

travel.jpg

Everything is flexible so I may not follow this route or even make it to Florida. It may be a bit more then I can chew off in the time I have. Any one have any suggestions of things to see in the general area of my route? Suggestions for another route?
I have a few days left to get ready. For the most part I will be playing things day to day and winging it.

If you come up I-75 through Georgia you should check out The Loop, Hwy 129,180 and 60. Its about 2 hrs north of Atlanta up Ga 400. Some of the best mountain riding in the country. Send me a PM if you make it out this way. If I have the time I will run it with you.

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, you are my new hero. I dont think I could ride that far just for fun, but I think your trip will be a blast for you. I wish I had the patience to sit on any bike for that long! Dont get me wrong, I love riding my bike but damn! Thats gonna be a looong trip. Do you have any plans for Montana? You might ride through Glacier National Park, Its really spectacular, but if you camp, watch out for grizzly bears. Have fun and be safe! Way to go!:thumbup:

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the suggestions of where to go and the many offers of places to stay. I'm heading out sometime today (likely). You can watch me traveling via my SPOT satellite tracker HERE.

Feel free to hunt me down if you see me coming to your area! My FZ6 should be easy to tell from other FZ6's (06' red / hard side cases / top case, LED lights on side cases). And I will be wearing a bright yellow jacket :thumbup:

IMG_2799.jpg

Cya out there!