where should I be revving to?

H

HavBlue

I have a strange formula for this sort of thing. Basically, your COMMUTING RPM should be redline (14000 on FZ6) divided by half the gears you have (6)/2.

That's 14000/3 = 4666.

So if I have an R1 that has a redline of 13500 and 6 gears, that means it should have a COMMUTING RPM of 4500.

If the bike has 5 gears, then divide the redline by 2.5

10000 RPM / 2.5 = 4000.

It's not the perfect formula, but it hasn't failed me yet.

Not that I agree with this but 4,666 on an FZ6 in what gear or 4,500 on an R1 in what gear? Please tell me you're not suggesting riding either in 6th gear at that rpm. If so, to me it would be like driving a boat with the anchor deployed......

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Forget the formulas. The motor is built to rev so rev it up. I usually shift at 7000 or higher, spend most of my "spirited" rides at 8000 or higher.

H

HavBlue

Forget the formulas. The motor is built to rev so rev it up. I usually shift at 7000 or higher, spend most of my "spirited" rides at 8000 or higher.

What gear are you running those spirited rides in? If it's 6th, you have to be up around 90mph. My kind of riding.......

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cruise at about 4k to 5k around town. I cruise at about 7k to 8k on the highway for reasons previously mentioned (availability of engine braking and acceleration).

I wouldn't ever ride at 2k; the motor feels too bogged down.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Think about it like this for a second.

Agility is the ability to change speed and direction quickly. Our gear is our final line of defense from the asphalt and cars. The idea overall is just not be there.

Your bike will be more agile if it is in its powerband. Lugging the engine at low rpms removed quick acell from your bag of tricks. It also removes engine braking from your decel.

I agree with Wrightme43. You need every availabe resources at your disposable, and choosing the correct powerband is one of them. Even though you may ride down the same road everyday, your riding enviroment may not be the same. There will be days you usually cruise in 4th, but today due to heavier traffic or wind, you might be in 3rd. But like most of the members have said, don't lug the engine. 2000rpm is definately lugging.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
:banghead: WTF???? It's not even any kind of formula!... Failed you in what respect? Your math has no foundation or relevance? You just made it up in your head. Again, it does not make any sense and the numbers are meaningless in all respects.

You might be confusing a lot of new riders on here with your misinformation you often post.....

Okay. I'll explain my logic again, but this time REALLY SLOWLY so you get it:

I.....h a v e......a..STRANGE.....f o r m u l a....for a good RPM..........R A N G E.

Y o u....t a k e...t h e...REDLINE...of the...E N G I N E....and...divide...it...by...HALF...the................total.........gears......available.

The....FZ6 (you know what bike that is right?).....has...a...redline....of.....14000.....RPM.

The.....FZ6 (you with me this far?)....has....6.....gears....

14000 / (6/2) = 4666

Whenever....you....drive...your...FZ6, try....to...stay...in...the....4666...RPM....range.....,but....go...over...it.....if...you...have...to.

Yes, I DID make this formula off the top of my head, but it was a LONG time ago and I've driven lots of different bikes. Thus far, this VERY COMPLICATED AND AGONIZING FORMULA has been very good for me.

Actually, I just got Claud to test this:
attachment.php

He said the average RPM range on this chart was 4500 if you followed it correctly. It's from the FZ6 OWNER'S MANUAL 2006.

PS- If you're grabbing a flamethrower, don't bother. I'm LONG GONE. See ya!

Last edited:

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I think CanadianFZ6 and Elm should get together and have a member meet.

CanadianFZ6 doesn't like me. I don't know who he is, but I get the feeling I'm being stalked. I can't think of anyone I've angered lately....nope...<thinking>....

...that person loved my cookies....
...that guy had a good time....
...she had the best birthday of her life...
...<thinking>...
...that one dude got a good deal!...
...WAIT! There's one guy! Oh wait! Nope, I fixed that it after I broke it on him....
...that was a fair fight, that one guy even said I won fair and square...
...none.

There's nobody I've angered at all. I don't know CanadianFZ6 or why he hates me. Oh well.

Claud says, "The only reason why anyone would ever hate you, is because they want to be just like you."

Last edited:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Okay. I'll explain my logic again, but this time REALLY SLOWLY so you get it:

I.....h a v e......a..STRANGE.....f o r m u l a....for a good RPM..........R A N G E.

Y o u....t a k e...t h e...REDLINE...of the...E N G I N E....and...divide...it...by...HALF...the................total.........gears......available.

The....FZ6 (you know what bike that is right?).....has...a...redline....of.....14000.....RPM.

The.....FZ6 (you with me this far?)....has....6.....gears....

14000 / (6/2) = 4666

Whenever....you....drive...your...FZ6, try....to...stay...in...the....4666...RPM....range.....,but....go...over...it.....if...you...have...to.

Yes, I DID make this formula off the top of my head, but it was a LONG time ago and I've driven lots of different bikes. Thus far, this VERY COMPLICATED AND AGONIZING FORMULA has been very good for me.

Actually, I just got Claud to test this:
attachment.php

He said the average RPM range on this chart was 4500 if you followed it correctly. It's from the FZ6 OWNER'S MANUAL 2006.

PS- If you're grabbing a flamethrower, don't bother. I'm LONG GONE. See ya!

So explain to me what 4666rpm represents? What is happening at 4666rpm that makes it the rpm to aim for.... Ok, I will give you an example of a calculation that does make sense so you'll understand why I am asking... When flying a Cessna 152 if you want to achieve the best glide ratio (that is the forward speed divided by the sink speed or otherwise known as lift to drag ratio). In other words the ability to glide the farthest for a given loss of altitude. This airspeed is 60 nauts. So at 60 nauts, you can glide the farthest in a Cessna 152, a 7 to 1 ratio. For every 1000ft loss of altitude you move forward 7000ft. This is particularly useful (as you can imagine) in the event of an engine failure. These numbers mean somthing... the number 60 as it pertains to this example means something. So what does 4666 rpm on an FZ6 mean or represent? Best fuel to distance ratio (MPG)? Least wear in the engine? Maximum alternator output? Least vibration?

multiplicity

Reaction score
Visit site
wow, thanks for the excellent replies - they really helped put me in the right direction. I think it's because I've been driving cars for 20 years where you don't sit at 10,000 rpm while driving that I find it hard to get used to doing it on the bike. I went out last night though and drove around only in 1st 2nd and 3rd with it averaging 5000 rpm. Boy does it go when you give your wrist a flick !!! LOL. Also, cos my daily commute is always in 30 mph limits I guess I could get to work and home again and never use more than 3 gears. That's weird.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new to biking. Just bought a new FZ6 S2 Saturday and have a stupid newbie question. Imagine that I've already run the engine in (1000 miles) Just where should the rev counter be sitting on normal driving? I ask this because people in this forum talk about taking the bike up to 10,000 rpm etc, but even when I get to 5000, to me, it sounds as if the engine is going to explode!!! I presume that this is ok and that the FZ6 loves to be revved?

Just for an example, If i'm in a 30 mph zone at a constant 30, what gear should I be cruising in? I tend to end up even in 6th !! at about 2000 rpm. Should I really be in 4th or even 3rd at higher revs?

Cheers

Hi mate, couple of things:

Run-in period (according to the handbook) is 1000km = 600 miles

That is, you can let rip with the throttle 400 miles sooner than you thought.

Also. there are 2 schools of thought on running in:

Run it like you'll ride it - If you're going to ride it with the throttle to the stop - run it in that way.

Or, take it easy for the first (typically) 600 miles. Vary the revs, change gear lots, don't make the engine labour, i.e. don't run at 30 mph in top at 2k rpm. Roll the throttle on a bit more as the run-in period progresses.

Did I say 2? I meant three, as the second one above only do the first oil change at 100 miles.

I know what you mean about 5000 rpm souding like the engine working hard, trust me, once you've wound it up to the limiter in second, you'll never look back. :Sport:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
wow, thanks for the excellent replies - they really helped put me in the right direction. I think it's because I've been driving cars for 20 years where you don't sit at 10,000 rpm while driving that I find it hard to get used to doing it on the bike. I went out last night though and drove around only in 1st 2nd and 3rd with it averaging 5000 rpm. Boy does it go when you give your wrist a flick !!! LOL. Also, cos my daily commute is always in 30 mph limits I guess I could get to work and home again and never use more than 3 gears. That's weird.
Just an additional note... The FZ6's alternator (stator) doesn't have a particularly high output. You should try and keep the revs above 4000rpm or so to ensure your battery is getting a good charge...

H

HavBlue

So explain to me what 4666rpm represents? What is happening at 4666rpm that makes it the rpm to aim for.... Ok, I will give you an example of a calculation that does make sense so you'll understand why I am asking... When flying a Cessna 152 if you want to achieve the best glide ratio (that is the forward speed divided by the sink speed or otherwise known as lift to drag ratio). In other words the ability to glide the farthest for a given loss of altitude. This airspeed is 60 nauts. So at 60 nauts, you can glide the farthest in a Cessna 152, a 7 to 1 ratio. For every 1000ft loss of altitude you move forward 7000ft. This is particularly useful (as you can imagine) in the event of an engine failure. These numbers mean somthing... the number 60 as it pertains to this example means something. So what does 4666 rpm on an FZ6 mean or represent? Best fuel to distance ratio (MPG)? Least wear in the engine? Maximum alternator output? Least vibration?

So lets shoot all kinds of holes in this fixed wing fantasy. Under optimum conditions the 152 may have a 7:1 ratio at 60 nauts if there is (A) no headwind, (B) the guy holding the yoke is smart enough to be at the optimum angle of attack and (C) it ain't a motorcycle.

The 4,666 used by Elm for the FZ6 would work in 6th gear on flat level ground on a good open run and accordingly the throttle miser rider may get some great gas mileage but let the gradient change much at all and the bike will fall flat on it's face much like the Cessna at 60 nauts if the pilot pulls the yoke back thus increasing drag and bleeding energy without additional power input. When I used the same thought relative to the Sporty it put me in 5th gear at 2,480pm and this too is great but I would only be going about 45mph. That said, the gas mileage would be way up there as long as I was once again on some pretty level ground as I would only have about 400rpm to play with at that point and the bike would have very little left without shifting down. Used as a baseline I see no problem with it as with all baselines, we adjust then to suit our needs.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So lets shoot all kinds of holes in this fixed wing fantasy. Under optimum conditions the 152 may have a 7:1 ratio at 60 nauts if there is (A) no headwind, (B) the guy holding the yoke is smart enough to be at the optimum angle of attack and (C) it ain't a motorcycle.

The 4,666 used by Elm for the FZ6 would work in 6th gear on flat level ground on a good open run and accordingly the throttle miser rider may get some great gas mileage but let the gradient change much at all and the bike will fall flat on it's face much like the Cessna at 60 nauts if the pilot pulls the yoke back thus increasing drag and bleeding energy without additional power input. When I used the same thought relative to the Sporty it put me in 5th gear at 2,480pm and this too is great but I would only be going about 45mph. That said, the gas mileage would be way up there as long as I was once again on some pretty level ground as I would only have about 400rpm to play with at that point and the bike would have very little left without shifting down. Used as a baseline I see no problem with it as with all baselines, we adjust then to suit our needs.

The information in my example came from the POH of the aircraft... You missed my point entirely... 60 nauts is best glide for a Cessna 152.... A number that means something... What is 4666 rpm represent for an FZ6? That is what I was/am asking...

I am not trying to flame Elm, just trying to understand what she means by the best RPM for an FZ6 is 4666...?

4666rpm.... least wear per km?... Best MPG?... greatest alternator output?....

It reminds me of Hitch Hike's guide to the universe..... "The meaning of the universe and everything else is".... 42.

Last edited:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It reminds me of Hitch Hike's guide to the universe..... "The meaning of the universe and everything else is".... 42.

The answer is correct being 42. The question, the ultimate question to life the universe and everything is not known because the program (Earth) never ran its course, it was destroyed by the Vogans to make way for a by-pass.

Sorry to interrupt. :D

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The answer is correct being 42. The question, the ultimate question to life the universe and everything is not known because the program (Earth) never ran its course, it was destroyed by the Vogans to make way for a by-pass.

Sorry to interrupt. :D

LOL... Don't be sorry... I was trying to be funny. I knew you Brits would get the humour in that quote....:D

Howattzer

Reaction score
Visit site
What gear are you running those spirited rides in? If it's 6th, you have to be up around 90mph. My kind of riding.......

Usually the spirited rides range between 80 and 110 mph. On my last ride (solo, while trying out my new Pilot Powers 2ct's, which are amazing by the way) I covered 240 miles of very curvy road in 2 hours and 45 minutes. That included 2 fuel stops.

Oh yeah: 4666 RPM in 6th gear is optimal? Are you kidding? Maybe only for fuel consumption, but even then the additional lugging on the engine would cause enough wear and tear to eat up the fuel savings in a hurry. I would be in third or maybe fourth gear if we were going that speed. That kind of thinking (and math) belongs on a cruiser forum. Are me and CanadianFZ6 the only ones to fully understand the joy of riding an in-line 4 cylinder 600 cc motorcycle? It is all about the RPM!

Last edited:

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
Elm's formula makes sense to me althoughit is a bit vague. Basically it's an easy, lazy commuting rpm to sit at in any gear, not at all suitable for hacking about the countryside or motorway riding, but fine for dawdling through towns and villages on a boring, busy commute.