Where do you work and what do you do?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i work at the state library in melbourne australia i manage projects to digitise heritage material
today i was arranging for a researcher to get access to one of 11 known editions of an english/ chinese newspaper from 1857

and then inducting an external company's staff to come on site with an A0 scanner for digitising about 32000 rare newspaper pages in the next 2 months

we digitise early street directories, architectural drawings,
sporting, medical, touring, World War 1 & 2 pamphlets,
paintings, photographs, glass plates, etc

i manage 3 staff that in turn have about 22 people report to them
i manage occ health & safety, equipment purchase and maintenance
and keep my boss informed about it all

i tend to jump on this forum during breaks and lunch to get back to reality

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner and it works every time !

Silvia6

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a technical writer for a company that develops encrypted voice communication systems (software and hardware) for aerospace and defense, homeland security and critical infrastructures.

..but before this I used to have really fun jobs :D. I used to be a teacher for junior highschool/highschool and after that I worked for a Ducati dealer on a racing track.

FUHL

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a CAD (Computer Aided Design/Drafter) operator for a small aircraft Company. We build 10 passenger bush planes.
One of our planes was in the movie Transcendense. And another one was in an episode of Breaking Bad.

Last edited:

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been in IT since 1976. Held pretty much every position there is, starting as a "data entry operator" (keypunch to us old farts) all the way up to being a CIO. Burned out in that role and after several changes in companies and positions, now work in a Network Operations Center for an electric/gas utility. Another 4 1/2 years and I'll call it a day.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I was on 2 of the CG 378' Cutters that had the 12 cylinder, opposed piston(24) diesel engines. You haven't lived until you've had to rewire the flex joint connecting the crank shafts:eek:

Small world. I worked in IT for the CG for 10 years (as a contractor.) I've been on many cutters but actually never went on a 378.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed jobs recently, it's fairly similar but I now work for a company that makes products rather than selling people. We make pro audio consoles, mixers and DSPs for live music. I write embedded and bare metal code.

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site
Today is my last day after 9+ years and no im not lucky enough to retire (education field).