Where do you park your bike

Will you park illegally so that you can be close to an entrance??

• Yes, all the time: yellow zone, sidewalk, etc

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Sometimes: When I can find reasonable space.

Votes: 77 51.0%
  • Never: I always park in an assigned parking space

Votes: 60 39.7%

• Total voters
H

HavBlue

I just ride into the Wal-Mart, throw what I need in the saddle bags and then use the self checkout lane. It frees up a parking space for someone else.:D

OK, this I have got to see. A guy rides an FZ6 into a Wal-Mart, stuffs his bags while going through the self check out lane and then somehow manages to keep it off the 11:00 news. Now that's impressive.....

Numpty

Reaction score
Visit site
I just ride into the Wal-Mart, throw what I need in the saddle bags and then use the self checkout lane. It frees up a parking space for someone else.:D

I like your style,think i will try that one at my local supermarket next time :rockon:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I take it some of you are parking in the extra space that often accompanies disabled spaces? Wow! It would take guts to do this where I live (CA). If one just has even a tire on the white line you risk getting a whopping $300+ fine. This assumes, of course, that there aren't any disabled m/c riders. On a side note, I think that the American Disabilities Act (ADA) has gone way overboard. Pep Boys (big CA auto parts store) had to set aside all the parking spaces directly in front of the store for disabled. I haven't seen ONCE even one vehicle parked there..not once. And, these specially marked spaces are only about 20 feet closer than other spaces. How do these disable people (the ones not in a wheelchair who need extra space for access) walk probably 100-200, 1,000 feet or much more while in a store? The handicap parking and other ADA restrictions business is way overkill...if you ask me.

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
Where I work (retail chain) almost no one parks their bikes on the sidewalk because parking is not that bad. However, I cannot see my bike where employee parking is and I know for a fact there are no cameras out there. So I got permission to park on the sidewalk right in front of the building. Now on sunny days there are always a handful of bikes sitting there. I started a little bike parking lot on the sidewalk. It makes me laugh inside and luckily management has not complained.. yet.

H

HavBlue

Where I work (retail chain) almost no one parks their bikes on the sidewalk because parking is not that bad. However, I cannot see my bike where employee parking is and I know for a fact there are no cameras out there. So I got permission to park on the sidewalk right in front of the building. Now on sunny days there are always a handful of bikes sitting there. I started a little bike parking lot on the sidewalk. It makes me laugh inside and luckily management has not complained.. yet.

Heck no, them biker buds are spending money in that store. I say bravo, ya started a good thing here......:thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, the safe placement of bike is incredibly important since all you need is a van/truck to steal a bike and worry about how to start it later on, a car they have to figure out how to get in, start it, and then worry about someone seeing the stolen vehicle, if a bike is snatched and stuffed in a van then it is gone, out of sight... I have seen a video of a bike stolen in a few seconds and tossed into a minivan.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
here it is...

Theft actually starts at around 3 mins in the video.

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=swfDcNujb_U"]YouTube - Motorcycle stolen in 60 seconds[/ame]

H

HavBlue

Lets take a look at this video:

From 33 seconds to 52 seconds the van is backing up and double parks two cars back of the target.

At 2:17, almost two minutes after illegally double parking the perp gets out

At 2:40 the van moves up, perp is pacing the target.

At 3:00 the perp gets to the bike, door opens on van and partner gets out.

At 3:40 the bike is gone.

So, this van has been double parked for 3 minutes, a bike is being paced for a minimum 43 seconds at which time it takes an additional 40 seconds to load the bike up in a transportation vehicle that is so far out of the norm it's beyond belief. Does anybody see anything wrong here?

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
I always park i an assigned space but try to make the bike as visible as possible to people wanting to park.

The only exception is the Publix near work where it is sort of accepted that bikes have their own parking space near the entrance.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have just got back from my local supermarket and having watched a woman parking her 4x4 SUV in the only m/c space in the entire car park nex but one to an empty car space.
I asked her which part of the sign she found too fdifficult to understand whether it was the loud white writing or that funny picture of a motorcycle above it.
Just acted like I wasnt there and went on into the store.

F*** them just gonna park where I want in future.

Rant over.:mad::banghead:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are so many organisations trying to make money out of illegal parking I prefer to park legally. If you don`t it is just like giving money away.

Steve

H

HavBlue

Have just got back from my local supermarket and having watched a woman parking her 4x4 SUV in the only m/c space in the entire car park nex but one to an empty car space.
I asked her which part of the sign she found too fdifficult to understand whether it was the loud white writing or that funny picture of a motorcycle above it.
Just acted like I wasnt there and went on into the store.

F*** them just gonna park where I want in future.

Rant over.:mad::banghead:

Dang, my key just slipped the whole length of that cage... Man, I hate it when it does that.........

Whitey Dodge

Reaction score
sport-touring.org
Always in a parking space, unless a store or mall allows parking on the sidewalk next to the building. Some around here do and I take advantage of it.

Now if I were to rent a motel room in a "less than desirable" part of town, I would park the bike in the room.:D

chaudunfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had people give me a hard time for "Taking up a whole parking space with just one little bike." So I'll park in striped yellows and take a hard time from people for that instead. At least that way I get a good spot!

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had people give me a hard time for "Taking up a whole parking space with just one little bike."

Someone said that to me once, when I worked at the mall. I asked them how many people they had int heir car. She said "just me". So I asked her how dare she take up one spot all to herself for just her vehicle. She snorted and stormed into the building.

I will continue to park legally as long as I cannot afford a ticket. Which will probably be forever. A bike is just as much a vehicle as a big-azz SUV with only one person in it.

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I came out of the mall on day to find another bike sharing the space with me. Would you guys do that if someone left enough space in a spot? I get nervous when I don't park in a spot and that is all I can think about when I am in the store is if someone is going to hit my bike.

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
Just parked next to the bike rack at Target last night...though it was way out of the way.
My preference is either a special bike space (not many of them around here), near a bike rack, or in a very visible part of the parking lot