Where do you keep the FZ during the winter?

Where do you keep the FZ during the winter?

• Inside the house

Votes: 27 3.8%
  • Heated garage/workshop

Votes: 120 17.0%
  • Unheated garage/shed

Votes: 301 42.6%
  • Outside under cover

Votes: 55 7.8%
  • Keep? I ride All year round!

Votes: 203 28.8%

• Total voters

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Ride mine all year round although I can see why some of you pack it up for the winter.
We had Canadian friends staying a few months ago & they told me it gets to minus 28 C in the winter. Jaysus. My freezer doesn't get that cold in the winter.

Ride my FZ6 everyday & it shows. My plastics are startin to fade & the tank is scratched from my every day use of a magnetic tank bag but hey, ive got 98,000 Kms on the clock & should click 100,000 in a week or 2 :thumbup:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
So, once again my Baby is back inside the house, - same spot as last winter, and yes that means that my bike shed building plans are still only plans ......
Wife is grumpy about it for the first few days, but she will get over it, just like last winter :)

Now I'll spend the next 3 months cleaning, waxing, oiling, modding and caressing her (The bike that is), waiting for 1st of march to come round, so she once again can join me on the roads.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Very good question. This year I rented a heated indoor space for $50/month at a local storage place. I shared this space with a buddy, so it's only $25/month. I entertained the idea of putting the bike inside the house, but I live in a condo on the first floor. I only have to get it up one flight of stairs in the back so that shouldn't be so hard, but to maneuver it once inside is going to be tough.

I was wondering if there is a way I can disassemble the bike to reduce weight (like taking the wheels, battery, gas tank) so I can manage the bike better. I can then reassemble (if I don't have to I won't). Any ideas how much weight can be reduced and what else I can remove?

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to take her up to my parents place. They have a nice weather proofed shed (unheated). When I was buying my townhouse last year I went for having a finished basement instead of a garage.

There are many times that I wish I had a garage instead of the basement, but then I wouldn't have my bar or my movie theater room.

Oh, and until I sell her my Buell stays in my dinning room.:thumbup:

Next year that rented storage place sounds like a great plan. There is a indoor heated one just a mile from my place.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is going in the kitchen via side door. I dont have a garage and the bike barely has 1000 miles on it, so no point in leaving it in the rain and snow. Plus, its a good time to give it a good field day cleaning. I do, however, have the utmost intent to take it out when the weather is fair enough.:thumbup:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I DID put a heater in the unheated garage today. It's supposed to be down in the single digits for several days.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine goes into an unheated storage shed/small garage. It get properly winterized (paddock stands, stabilized fuel, oil change, battery tender, etc). I stop riding when temps drop and stay below 10 deg. Celcius (usually early November here). I rbing her back out in mid Apr/early May (or as soon a salt stops being used on the roads and we've had a few good rains to wash it all off).

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
I am riding practically year round. One nice thing about living in Houston is we don't really get much of a winter. As long as you can put up with the heat in the summer year round riding is not that bad.

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ gets winterized usually first week of November- wash,wax,fresh oil,full gas tank with stabil, battery removed. I move it into my storage shed and put it up on center stand and cover it with a good motorcycle cover. The snow usually gets 1/2 to 3/4 the way up the outside walls and about 50cm(18inches) on the roof providing some nice insulation from the -40C temps.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my dad, my cousin, and mine are all tucked in at grandma's unheated two car garage with mine on a trickle charger and has it's tires up in the air... oh and stabilize in the tank...

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I keep mine right here where it belongs. :rolleyes:

DSC01500.jpg

Some days are a little more challenging that others however. :shakehead:

DSC01457.jpg

Marc

Last edited:

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
in a damn cycle shell since i dont have a garage and my other bike is in the shed since its much bigger. breaks my heart but its much better than a normal cover.

Dr.Landau

Reaction score
Visit site
The move south to Florida was due in part to the year round riding. Oddly since coming here in 09, we've had 2 of the coldest winters in nearly 30 years!

Still riding when the thermometer reads 55.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
It's in the attached garage on the center stand with the trickle charger and cover. The garage doesn't get colder than 14 degrees (-10c) at worst. I've got the front wheel on a piece of wood so neither wheel is on the pavement. Comfy winter slumber.

astpierre

Reaction score
Visit site
I have mine in unheated garage. I really don't worry about how cold it gets (may get to -20c). My big concern is the huge fluctuations in temp. may get a 15 to 20c swing between night and day. which causes condensation. I guess a good cover can help with that.

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
In the bedroom of my second story apartment :D The girlfriend gets a kick out of that :D

This is my first year with it... What should I do about the rust speckles on the chain?

Mississippi Gulf Coast really doesnt have a bad winter, just a few weeks where its too cold for MY comfort. Others ride year round.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is kept at a local garage. Winter storage costs the equivalent to approx. US$ 350, and includes cleaning, charging, TLC and all preparations before season start. The bike was delivered dirty and with a flat battery, and is turn-key ready in the beginning of April.

I have asked for some winter work to be done - changing front fork oil and springs, and installing a new battery. I have the option to change the gear box oil to reduce the clunkyness. Not sure if I will do so. Is it worth the extra money?

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Mine is kept at a local garage. Winter storage costs the equivalent to approx. US$ 350, and includes cleaning, charging, TLC and all preparations before season start. The bike was delivered dirty and with a flat battery, and is turn-key ready in the beginning of April.

I have asked for some winter work to be done - changing front fork oil and springs, and installing a new battery. I have the option to change the gear box oil to reduce the clunkyness. Not sure if I will do so. Is it worth the extra money?
Gearbox oil? What is this nonsense you speak? the gearbox oil is the engine oil.