Where do you have your pre-load set?

Fz6Daveg

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about 167lbs and had it at 4; felt pretty good for normal street riding/commuting.

I then started riding with revs near 8K and the bike felt like it squatted too much on acceleration so I moved it to 6. It feels much better at those revs.

Later, I may have to stiffen up the front to reduce some of the dive.

Dennis

I thought the front forks were not adjustable. I have noticed a lot of dive on mine too.
If they are adjustable how do you alter them ?

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought the front forks were not adjustable. I have noticed a lot of dive on mine too.
If they are adjustable how do you alter them ?

Unfortunately, they are not adjustable; to stiffen them, you'll either need thicker fork oil, stiffer springs, other fork mods I don't know about, or R6 forks, etc.

My throttle control is much improved and I lean a little more forward when I slam the throttle so the squat is not as severe so I lowered the setting to 5. This allows me to better tolerate this Winter's frost heaves.

I'm looking into how to fix my front end dive on hard braking issue -- one method was to lean back on hard braking.

Dennis

yamahaha

that guy is fast
Reaction score
Visit site
damn this thing is stuck hard. i see how it works/its on seven/i got the tool in the kit/i know how to turn it... i just can't. the guy i bought it from was 220lbs+ easy and i know he two up'd alot so im sure the day he got it he put it strait to stiff (he was a mechanic as well) then proceeded to put 5k miles on it. I've gently beat it w/ a hammer and pulled like hell.. i didnt have a steal pipe to stick on the end for more leverage but im scared to do that anyway. anyone got any ideas?

workin on my bike is such a love/hate relationship

Edit: got it!
you gotta use that extension thing that looks like a smashed down pipe thats about six inches long. it will go over the end of the "c wrench" or whatever its called so you can get more leverage. i've always wonder what that ****in thing was good for, now i know. im talkin about the smashed pipe lookin tool, does it have any other purpose?

Last edited:

yamahaha

that guy is fast
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep! A piece of cake. You may wish to use the extension handle that is in your tool kit. I've smacked my hand with only the adjustment wrench. Looking at the bike, left side, fit the wrench and turn it forward - the mono shock setting will click in place.

how do you thank someone in a post?

i have been on 7 since i bought it 1500 miles ago. i way 150lbs my girl weighs i guess 115? we two up alot. im goin a 400 mile round trip this weekend i'll let yall know if i can tell a difference two up from 7 to 5

i wonder if havin it on 7 is why it is so easy wheelie...i just thought it was cuz im a gangster!

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I just keep mine on the factory setting of "3". It works great for me and it seems to be perfect for two-up as well.

remme61

remme61
Reaction score
Visit site
So for Me to get the 35mm sag recommended; I'm 40mm @ #1 and 30mm @ #2. I'm a light 165 w/gear and ride the tank more than the seat thus putting more weight up front. Have tried #3 and #4 so far and get almost no travel let alone bottoming out. Trying #1 this weekend just to see how funky. Ron

westgoingzax

I ride a motorcycle
Reaction score
Visit site
i see the "thanks" icon in ur post but many posts dont have the option. what gives?

You can only give 'Thanks' for newer posts. I'm not sure what the time limit is, but the posts in this thread in January 2010 or before don't have 'Thanks' buttons. You'll see similar across the forum.

JimStl

Reaction score
Visit site
At 200 lbs it sounds like I am going to be happier with the stock setting of 3 moved up to 5. Thanks for the advice! :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Me 188lb + gear ~ 20lbs in full leathers
Front sag = 43mm (compresses 1.7" from me sitting on it)
Rear sag = 29mm (compresses 1.1" from me sitting on it) #5

R6 forks installed:
Front sag = 31mm and adjustable +/-20mm ** Current
Rear sag 29mm

Going forward - R1 rear shock - revalved, likley start at 29 mm ** Current