The fueling!

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
After riding the FZ6 for almost 3 years, I've lived with the on-off throttle response. It's really not a big deal on the street, but on the track it's a different story. I just finished my 4th track day on the bike yesterday. This was on Summit Point Shenandoah, a relatively slow course. There are a few corners done at a very low speed - like 30 mph. I'll brake, turn in, and then go to roll the throttle on to stabilize the bike. Every time I roll on the throttle, the bike's balance gets upset, my confidence goes down, my speed drops, and my line goes all over the place. It didn't lead to any near accidents, but I was definitely slower than a lot of bikes in those slow sections, whereas the faster sweepers where I'm higher in the RPM range, the throttle response is much smoother and acceptable, and I gain on other riders.

When I was tuning my car, I had to set the TPS. Apparently there is a TPS value at which the ECU says to start fueling. Let's call it 10. At idle, a low TPS value would be 6 or 7. As you increase throttle, the TPS value increases, but the ECU will only send idle fuel (or no fuel if above a certain RPM) unless TPS is 10 or higher. The problem was the in between setting of 8 or 9. At that point the throttle is open and you are expecting power, but there is none. When you finally reach 10, the fuel comes on, but it has to match a larger amount of air all of a sudden and the car jerks forward. By manually adjusting the TPS to a greater value at idle, the throttle response smooths out. You could go to a high TPS value, but at that point the car never shuts off the injectors when coasting (no big deal on the track) and it never goes to idle fueling which hurts mileage.

Is the TPS adjustable on the bike? I seem to recall some threads on this, but search is pulling up a lot of old threads, mostly about people who have the same problems and say a Power Commander can help, but not eliminate the problem. I think a simple TPS adjustment would do it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have an FSM? Its all in there on HOW its done. But yes, you can adjust the TPS. It is however, hard to access the bolts as they are nearly inside the frame rail.

attachment.php

Will this alter the fueling, yes. Will it solve your problem, I really don't think so as it will mess up the idle beyond what you can adjust out using the four Sync Screws. You might try bumping the CO values by +20 points or so. Even then, it will impact the idle and sync screws (all four) will need to be moved. It does help the rewetting somewhat, but not as much as adding fuel with a controller when and where its needed.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have an FSM? Its all in there on HOW its done. But yes, you can adjust the TPS. It is however, hard to access the bolts as they are nearly inside the frame rail.

attachment.php

Will this alter the fueling, yes. Will it solve your problem, I really don't think so as it will mess up the idle beyond what you can adjust out using the four Sync Screws. You might try bumping the CO values by +20 points or so. Even then, it will impact the idle and sync screws (all four) will need to be moved. It does help the rewetting somewhat, but not as much as adding fuel with a controller when and where its needed.

Sorry taking this very off-track..!
How the earth your bike is so clean in that location? :)
Which city do you live in?
You don't have dust or pollen in your area?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As mentioned in other posts - if I'm there and its apart, I clean it. That said, I've only cleaned that area once and that was a couple years ago.

On that note; I too wonder how engines with less miles than mine are so dirty! :confused:

I'm guessing I was installing the AIS plates and may have used a paint brush to sweep away a layer of dust... No cleaners...
attachment.php