Where are you mounting your GoPro?

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. And I already stumbled upon that pashnit site when I was googling, lot of good ideas in there for sure. Has anybody mounted their camera to the fork like Greg suggested? I have the roll bar mount and couldn't find a good spot. The front fender and the fork guards get in the way.

Also do you guys normally have the skeleton back on or the standard waterproof one when having the camera out from behind the windscreen?

i use the sealed back all the time, cause ya just don't know...

under the side plastics behind your butt, there's a flat perfect for rear view shots of teh tire/chain/swingarm...sorry no examples uploaded yet

my favorite is helmet.. cause anything you look at you can shoot, not so much with hardmounts. :(

a buddy on the last ride had a flexi-snake looking thing, with a C-clamp for his gopro, but dickwad hasn't uploaded anything yet, DRED ! so we'll have to wait for results.

post up whatcha try, aight ? :)

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking into getting a goPro -- nice thread you guys have going. Do we have an official FZ6 (as in forum, not bike!) video GoPro thread? Would love to see the set-ups and videos of everyones rides.

boars

Iced coffee fiend
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
20120215_224443.jpg

It doesn't really obscure my view... well maybe the speedo a little... :spank:

I could mount it upside down and then flip the camera option for recording and then it'd obscure nothing... might try that next time I'm out.

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
i use the sealed back all the time, cause ya just don't know...

under the side plastics behind your butt, there's a flat perfect for rear view shots of teh tire/chain/swingarm...sorry no examples uploaded yet

my favorite is helmet.. cause anything you look at you can shoot, not so much with hardmounts. :(

a buddy on the last ride had a flexi-snake looking thing, with a C-clamp for his gopro, but dickwad hasn't uploaded anything yet, DRED ! so we'll have to wait for results.

post up whatcha try, aight ? :)

Everywhere! On the road, on the swingarm, chestmount, boot mount, shifter view...get crazy and spend 4 hours at the same turn.

Helmet mount is soooo boring, even more so on street bikes. Get a grab bag of mounts, put the suction cup (tethered of course) in odd places on your bike, and focus on the moving parts. Shorter clips, with multiple angles of the same section of road is more entertaining than another rider-eye perspective of...... another wheelie. ;-)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl1ELGk58-k"]d'angles - YouTube[/ame]

fvanson

Reaction score
touron2wheels.wordpress.com
i have a touring screen as well as the stock one. i dont currently have a GoPro but WHEN i get on ill probly put a mount right on the stock screen and change screens when i want to do a film-shoot

edit: mount it inside/behind the windshield so theres not as much wind noise and it will pick up the engine noise better

I have tried to put the GoPro Hero 3 on the windscreen by use of the original suction cup mount, but it is IMHO not the best location as the windscreen is not rigid enough and flexes. Result is a very wobbly video. See YouTube video I made today for my wordpress blog.

mynameisrodney

Reaction score
Visit site
In my experience, the lower you get the camera, the faster it looks like you are moving. I use the suction cup mount on the top of the FZ6 tank and hang it so the camera is upside down and as low as I can get it.

About the open vs sealed backing, the last ride I went out on I would have had some amazing footage, but I took the sealed back, and the case kept fogging up. From now on I'll be using the open case and putting the sealed one in my backpack / under seat.

Cheers,
Chris

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
I've mounted my Go Pro on the bar between the clamps and on the suction cup on the tank on the fizzer. The bar vibed badly between 6-7000 rpm, I think there was a harmonic resonance happening with the LV exhaust. The suction cup was brilliant....it felt fast due to how low it was.

On my R1 I've mounted it to the top of my helmet, the top yoke, and upside down under the bottom yoke. The helmet gives you the steadiest and best view, but it's too high for a decent "riding perspective". The top yoke gives you that racy I.O.M. feel...but gets some vibes occasionally. And under the bottom yoke gives you a fast, letterbox view, bordered by fairing.

I've used the fully sealed door since my first test with the open door, which gave me massive wind noise at anything over 40kph. The sealed door just gives me exhaust/airbox noise. :)

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done tank but helmet is the most stable. I like mine mounted on the chin bar, upside down. Gives me a pretty good angle. Also probably going to put a mount on the swingarm.

I'll echo what carbonar said - the open door is great for sound at low speed, and on the chin mount I can clearly hear myself talk at 30mph, but above that the wind noise is brutal and I'm going to be using the closed back from now on.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Where are you mounting your GoPro?

Well folks, here is my video. It was only about 50 degrees, but I couldn't miss the opportunity for a rare out of season ride here. Normally by now we would have a foot of snow on the ground. Just a lazy ride enjoying my time with the bike until March/April.

FZ6 Lazy December Ride - YouTube

This is from the handlebar clamp. I found that at 7k RPM, the vibration of the engine/frame makes the camera shake and occasionally oscillate making a really odd effect. You'll see what I mean in the video.

I think the video looks great. Better than mine mounted on the tank with a suction cup ram mount. What type of handlebar clamp?

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD