Where are you mounting your GoPro?

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everybody

Simple question, I got a GoPro for xmas and am extremely lucky that we will have 2 days this weekend in the 50s so I am going to go for a nice and unexpected winter ride. I have searched this question before and haven't found much on it. Perhaps my search skills are lacking but I haven't found hardly anything on the subject.

Well anyways, how do you mount your GoPro?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
there's a few places you can put it depending on what mounts you have.

i normally use the handlebar mount. If you put it in the centre facing the speedo and looking out of the screen you get quite a nice view, equally turn it around for a view of yourself. You can also mount it on your grab handles to capture you moving around on the bike. If you have a roll bar mount you could put it on the crash bungs or front fork. You could also put it on the mirror.

Chest mount is supposed to work quite well too

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for your reply Greg. I have the smaller handlebar mount and the bigger rollbar mount, as well as a helmet strap thing and the various flat and curved surface mounts. I'll try those positions you mentioned. I have seen videos from the fork that you mentioned and I think they look great. Do you use the sealed back or the open back when you're on your bike?

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Best view point i've found so far is the helmet, but the go pro looks er.... well interesting on the helmet....

I've seen a cool setup where somone mounted it abouve the front fender to the fork of a Versys, but i'm sure you can rig something compatable for the FZ.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried the suction cup mount on the tank which works well, very little vibration, but you'll see your speed on the speedo if it's a problem for you like it was for me. :spank:
I've tried it mounted on the front of the windshield which is o.k. sometimes but most of the time is too jerky from the front end bouncing along the road. It is, however, the best POV in my opinion.
The last few interesting rides I've been on, that I haven't edited yet, I've had it mounted on the side of my helmet which provides a vibration-free recording and a pretty good POV. I can even look around to include some of the scenery on the long, uninteresting stretches of road where there's a lack of twisty's to keep me entertained. :BLAA:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always use the suction cup. On the tank, windscreen and side of the fairing. I used to have the 06 FZ6 so I'm not sure about 07 and up side of fairing. The important part is making sure the suction cup and the mounting surface are clean so a good seal occurs. I always try to use a safety when I have it on the front of the bike. In fact look at my present avatar. You can see I have shoe laces from the GoPro to my mirror. :D I just got the GoPro HD! :BLAA:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried the suction cup mount on the tank which works well, very little vibration, but you'll see your speed on the speedo if it's a problem for you like it was for me. :spank:
I've tried it mounted on the front of the windshield which is o.k. sometimes but most of the time is too jerky from the front end bouncing along the road. It is, however, the best POV in my opinion.
The last few interesting rides I've been on, that I haven't edited yet, I've had it mounted on the side of my helmet which provides a vibration-free recording and a pretty good POV. I can even look around to include some of the scenery on the long, uninteresting stretches of road where there's a lack of twisty's to keep me entertained. :BLAA:

This is exactly why i mounted my Drift to my helmet my last ride i used it... i hate when you have it fixed mount and your driving by some cool scenery and you cant just quick pan to see it....

Haven't brought myself to stick a velcro on my new HJC yet though lol

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. And I already stumbled upon that pashnit site when I was googling, lot of good ideas in there for sure. Has anybody mounted their camera to the fork like Greg suggested? I have the roll bar mount and couldn't find a good spot. The front fender and the fork guards get in the way.

Also do you guys normally have the skeleton back on or the standard waterproof one when having the camera out from behind the windscreen?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
if it's wet i use the sealed back, otherwise i use the open one

i don't have the roll bar mount so i haven't played with it, also my bike is naked so i might have a couple more mounting options

make sure you don't mount it below the bottom fork mount though, i can't imagine that ending well :S

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
i have a touring screen as well as the stock one. i dont currently have a GoPro but WHEN i get on ill probly put a mount right on the stock screen and change screens when i want to do a film-shoot

edit: mount it inside/behind the windshield so theres not as much wind noise and it will pick up the engine noise better

Last edited:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
sooo many awesum places, my friend has like 6 different mounts for a gopro
I mounted it on the horn looking out over the front tire, once put it on the fender, on one of my frame sliders, on the license plate mount(good view of your buddies gettin left behind ;) ) does NOT like to stick to the headlight lol
on one of the passenger grab bars, on the side of the frame right by the radiator, you can get all sorts of cool angles:thumbup:

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried a couple of different locations for the goPro.

On the helmet (with laser targeting) :-

Hux's Bike Blog: Now available in HD

On the front forks:-
Hux's Bike Blog: Skeggy or bust

I found that you get more vibrations on the forks though (you can seen in one of the pics there are wobbly artifacts) as there is no damping at all.

When it's on the helmet you neck and all the suspension smooths it out (and you can look at things) and it's a lot smoother.

It's a cracking camera though. Post some pics with it when you get some!!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
have mounted it with the suction cup on the inside of the windscreen with the camera just above the top of the windscreen. Just in case it were to fall off I drilled a small hole in the windscreen and use a small zip tie as an anchor point for a second ziptie around the camera base.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ yea we always have little string on the camera tied to someplace close just in case the cup lets go....only needed it once so far *knock on wood
:BLAA:

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Well folks, here is my video. It was only about 50 degrees, but I couldn't miss the opportunity for a rare out of season ride here. Normally by now we would have a foot of snow on the ground. Just a lazy ride enjoying my time with the bike until March/April.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuNbRfsOsus]FZ6 Lazy December Ride - YouTube[/ame]

This is from the handlebar clamp. I found that at 7k RPM, the vibration of the engine/frame makes the camera shake and occasionally oscillate making a really odd effect. You'll see what I mean in the video.

Last edited:

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my helmet setup. I have one on the top as well. I'll change it up a bit.

HelmetCam.jpg

This was the first time i ever mounted the gopro to my bike with the suction cup. My windscreen was black so there was no point in pointing it forward.

suctioncup.jpg

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my helmet setup. I have one on the top as well. I'll change it up a bit.

HelmetCam.jpg

This was the first time i ever mounted the gopro to my bike with the suction cup. My windscreen was black so there was no point in pointing it forward.

suctioncup.jpg

I like that helmet setup. Are you just using the little adhesive mounts?

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I make sure the area was clean and then just stuck it on. I give it one day to let it cure and its all good to go. The sticky mounts work very well and i've yet to have one fail on me. My next location is going to be under the cowling. There is a setting on the gopro to allow you to record with the gopro upside down, but will save it right-side up.