When should I be in the 7000-10,000rpm range?

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
In the city, I rarely need to shift past 2nd gear...I ride 0-20ish in 1st, and 20-40ish in 2nd. On the highway I tend to cruise between 6k and 7k and shift when I feel I'm losing the power band. I don't think I've ever broken 7500 rpm.

When do you guys hit 8000-10,000 rpm? Is this a racing/track thing? I mean, the bike redlines at 15k yet I'll never come close?

What are your typical cruising RPM ranges?

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I redline the bike every time I am on it, that is what it is for. You are missing out on 90% of the fun shifting at such low rpms. Get out on some good roads and ride that thing hard lol.

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
I redline the bike every time I am on it, that is what it is for. You are missing out on 90% of the fun shifting at such low rpms. Get out on some good roads and ride that thing hard lol.

What type of riding are you doing when you're redlining every time?

Let's say you're on the highway and you hit 7000 rpm...I would normally shift, but you're saying I should just keeping pulling?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Youll get better mpg if you shift around 7k or 8k and thats normally where I cruise at and ya I redline mine everyday to just to put a smile on my face it wont hurt it its made for it

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Around town I find it is much smoother to stay out of the power, and short-shift it at 6 or 7k. It shifts smoother and is less herky-jerky, but I'm still moving as fast or faster than traffic.

The moment I hit an onramp I'm shifting at 10 or 12 (well, twice) and then just lazily shift up to 6th since I'm already at speed. No real reason to do that other than it is fun.

Out in the country on a good twisty road I try not to let it drop below 8k, as that ridiculous pull starting just after the apex of a corner is the entire reason I ride motorcycles.

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
Out in the country on a good twisty road I try not to let it drop below 8k, as that ridiculous pull starting just after the apex of a corner is the entire reason I ride motorcycles.

What gear are you typically in in the twisties?

Because I did some last weekend and I virtually never had to leave 2nd gear and I kept it around 6500....granted I wasn't pushing it and was just having a fun safe ride.

CDE

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as the last few dudes. I get in that range often (above 8K). Around town I'm modest and don't rev it up so high (Also have some scorpion cans so it's nicely loud). Sometimes even around town there are a few twisty bits of road and I usually stay in 2nd gear and rev it like crazy. On the highway I will often wham down at least 2, usually 3 gears from 6th and pass people right in the power zone. 3rd gear on a large high way is fun because it's so responsive.

Just do what you're comfortable with. The bike can handle red line all day long, but that doesn't mean that's what you have to do to have fun! :cheer:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
You haven't lost the powerband at 7,000 - you've only cracked the surface of it. The powerband begins at around 6,500rpms and takes you to around 11 - 12. The reason you aren't shifting past 7,000 is probably because you aren't speeding around like a madman.

Other than first gear, shifting at the rpms you're talking about, means going around 90mph or faster. If you're red lining 2nd gear, you're breaking every speed limit in America.

So, with that said, if you want to see how far your powerband goes, and really open it up - I would suggest a track.

To answer your question from my perspective, the only time I am in the 7,000 - 10,000 range, is when I'm riding aggressively and accelerating hard.
When I am mellow and cruise, I short shift at 6 or 7,000 and cruise at 5k on the streets and 7k on the highway.

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
You haven't lost the powerband at 7,000 - you've only cracked the surface of it. The powerband begins at around 6,500rpms and takes you to around 11 - 12. The reason you aren't shifting past 7,000 is probably because you aren't speeding around like a madman.

Other than first gear, shifting at the rpms you're talking about, means going around 90mph or faster. If you're red lining 2nd gear, you're breaking every speed limit in America.

So, with that said, if you want to see how far your powerband goes, and really open it up - I would suggest a track.

To answer your question from my perspective, the only time I am in the 7,000 - 10,000 range, is when I'm riding aggressively and accelerating hard.
When I am mellow and cruise, I short shift at 6 or 7,000 and cruise at 5k on the streets and 7k on the highway.

Excellent this makes me feel a lot better. And also amazes me...I may not be in the power band from 1200-6500 rpm, but the bike accelerates faster than just about everything else besides high end sports cars and of course, other motorcycles.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent this makes me feel a lot better. And also amazes me...I may not be in the power band from 1200-6500 rpm, but the bike accelerates faster than just about everything else besides high end sports cars and of course, other motorcycles.

Ya take it on up slow to 9k then rip it all the way back and you will fall in love again, and also you havent even got to experience half of the bikes power at those rpms

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
What gear are you typically in in the twisties?

Second, third, and fourth. Keep in mind this is Minnesota, even in the bluffs near the St. Croix and Mississippi Rivers the curves are more fast sweepers than hairpins and real mountain riding.

And to really have fun I have to ignore posted limits occasionally. ;)

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya take it on up slow to 9k then rip it all the way back and you will fall in love again, and also you havent even got to experience half of the bikes power at those rpms

Awesome. I'm not a speed/power guy though, I ride the FZ6 and motorcycles in general for the convenience, fun and versatility. I'm sure face-ripping acceleration is great, but not very useful for my daily commute ;)

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say use common sense and approach the upper rpm range cautiously. If you can find a stretch of highway with sparse traffic and no place for police to hide, go for it. Drop it down to a lower gear and get her comfortable in the upper range of rpm's.

I typically hit 10-12k in 1st and / or 2nd gear while entering a highway but back it off pretty quickly so as to not come off looking like a squid.

The highest rpm I think I ever banged was 13k.. maybe did that a few times. The bike redlines at 14k. Never felt the need to rev it that high.. seems a little excessive no matter what the conditions.

Last edited:

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say use common sense and approach the upper rpm range cautiously. If you can find a stretch of highway with sparse traffic and no place for police to hide, go for it. Drop it down to a lower gear and get her comfortable in the upper range of rpm's.

I typically hit 10-12k in 1st and / or 2nd gear while entering a highway but back it off pretty quickly so as to not come off looking like a squid.

:eek:

See I've never done that...especially not in 1st or 2nd gear...your bike must vibrate/buzz horribly in 10k in 1st gear! I'd basically be in 2nd @ 30 mph on the stretch of road when entering he highway (usually rush hour), and then gradually shift/accelerate to highway speeds (we have a yield lane so I can't just thunder onto the highway).

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Q: When should I be in the 7000-10,000rpm range?

A: Right when the cop turns on the lights and siren!

:BLAA:
HEY-O!
:BLAA:

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
:eek:

See I've never done that...especially not in 1st or 2nd gear...your bike must vibrate/buzz horribly in 10k in 1st gear! I'd .

Stop being such a pussy and give it a whirl. Just kidding...but seriously, go try it just for fun...make sure you twist the grip all the way to the stop :thumbup:

I'm sure face-ripping acceleration is great, but not very useful for my daily commute ;)

Where do you commute to and from?

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome. I'm not a speed/power guy though, I ride the FZ6 and motorcycles in general for the convenience, fun and versatility. I'm sure face-ripping acceleration is great, but not very useful for my daily commute ;)

To each his own but I know this is gonna come off a-holish but if thats the case why buy a machine such as a fz if you dont intend to use it to its full capacity. If you use bikes like you say why not just save money and buy a scooter or a klr?

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
Stop being such a pussy and give it a whirl. Just kidding...but seriously, go try it just for fun...make sure you twist the grip all the way to the stop :thumbup:

Where do you commute to and from?

I live in San Francisco and I take 101 down to Foster City and back. It's only 20 miles each way, 90% highway (I live close to an on-ramp and my office is close to the off-ramp). I typically merge, get over to the left and maintain a similar pace to traffic, lane splitting (legal in CA) as needed when traffic drops under 30 mph (though I see guys doing it at all speeds and basically passing everything as their standard freeway style).

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in San Francisco and I take 101 down to Foster City and back. It's only 20 miles each way, 90% highway (I live close to an on-ramp and my office is close to the off-ramp). I typically merge, get over to the left and maintain a similar pace to traffic, lane splitting (legal in CA) as needed when traffic drops under 30 mph (though I see guys doing it at all speeds and basically passing everything as their standard freeway style).

FZ6 is a good bike for a commute like this...probably perfect actually.

I asked becuase I commute from my house in SF to my job downtown in SF...just curious where you went.

I hate the 101...

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
To each his own but I know this is gonna come off a-holish but if thats the case why buy a machine such as a fz if you dont intend to use it to its full capacity. If you use bikes like you say why not just save money and buy a scooter or a klr?

Well, a scooter isn't highway ready, and I think an inline-4 provides a more comfortable highway experience than a 1 cylinder KLR.

I've only been riding a couple of years, and I'm not claiming the FZ6 is my perfect ride, but I have no complaints with it, I got it for a great price and it's been 100% reliable. I've been expanding my riding skills via practice and such and this is why I'm asking these questions.

As for "full capacity", that's often at odds with the law and safety, so I try and keep it fun but also safe and mostly legal :Flash: