Wheel polishing help!!!

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
So, It's winter and I won't be riding for a while so I figured I'd remove the wheels, and strip the paint around rim (not the spokes) and polish to a nice finish.

Here is what I wanted to do:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TfYfwsi2IE]strip your motorcycle rims.... - YouTube[/ame]

The problem is the "Heavy duty" paint stripper does NOTHING to the paint of the FZ! Nothing! I guess that's great that Yamaha did a great job on the paint, but has anyone here ever tried to remove it???

Any help would be appreciated!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought the S2 rims were powdercoated?

the S1 rims are bare anyway, aside from a terrible clearcoat.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On car wheels I've roughed them in with large flapper discs in drill or rotary air tool. Start w an 80 to 120 grit disc. Also a sharp chunk of steel can be used to wear a shape in the flapper to mirror the wheel contours. After done roughing, sand a wooden block to fit the wheel and lay in some wet dry paper and start spinning. Good luck. You'll progress to 2200 grit and then polish will go fast.

Its a cast surface so its gonna take same work and clear coat to keep it looking good.

Blackcombe

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking the rims polished or chrome dipped would look awesome. What exactly did you do Mick? Mate we gotta catch up for a ride so i can suss out all your've done :)