what's your take??

Is it right for bikes to park in the dashed area surrounding handicap parking?

• Absolutely not

Votes: 92 71.3%
  • if the parking lot is really full

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • don't care one way or the other

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I do it

Votes: 15 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys now that its warming up more I keep seeing more bikes on the road, and as a result more guys parking their bikes in the dashed space between handicap spots for wheelchair unloading or parking in the dashed area next to a handicap spot serving as wheelchair access to the crosswalk. Personally I think this is the lowest of lows, and makes us all look bad....what do you guys think?:don'tknow:

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
First of all, that are is designed for people who need more room to get in/out of their vehicles. Secondly, I don't know if it's this way whee you guys are, but in my experience, handicapped drivers are some of the worst parkers in the world. Why would you WANT your bike next to someone who can't park in the lines? Following that same philosophy, I won't park next to large pickups or vans, either if I can help it....

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't park in or near handicap spots, but I certainly parked in on dashed lines and on sidewalks - off the street. Anywhere i feel my fiz is safest is where it goes.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't get the whole park anywhere mentality some have. Riding a bike doesn't make you special! It doesn't give you the right to park on a sidewalk, fire lane or anywhere else that wasn't designed for parking. If your so concerned about that bike is going to be hit, stolen, scratched or some other way molested then keep it home.

I just get sick of seeing bike parked everyehere expept the parking lot. I really wish the cops would just tow them away!

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only time I park in the dashed spots is in our hospital parking lot. They don't have a bike area, so those of us who ride park there. But - these dashed areas ARE NOT by handicapped parking. They are spots where they change the direction of the parking spots (perp to diag), so I feel I am ok there. :Flash:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Even if you don't mind crowding someone who needs the extra space have you ever seen somebody key a car that parked in a handicapped spot - perception is all that matters and I can easily see someone else taking offense and tipping a bike that was parked that way.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
Both of my vehicles have handicap placards due to my wife's health issues. I only use them when my wife is with me. Blocking access for those that are handicapped is pretty low. I have no pity for a rider who gets his or her bike knocked over by one that needs to use the handicapped spaces. Use a little common courtesy. One day, you may need to use them.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
:rolleyes: How about the so called handicap who's no more handicap than you or I...?

I'll be quiet now because I think this topic would be best located in the bar.

Yes... you are tremendously more qualified than someone with an MD to determine handicapped status...

To suffer through a couple of fatties that don't need to be driving a scooter (instead of walking) I think I can park across the parking lot for someone with a neurologic condition that requires them to spare their energy...

While a handicap does not preclude you from being an Ahole... Not every handicapped person wears a shirt with a wheelchair on it

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with pretty much everything that''s been said about not taking something that was intended for people that are less fortunate than I am, handicapped if you will.

One thing that didn't get mentioned was what LEO can do for you if you park in one of those spaces (and I'm sure parking on the stripes would count). Here in California the ticket for parking in a handicap spot is approaching $400. So, are you feelin' lucky punk?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i will not take the space that is allotted to the handicapped, in fact i hope someone parks a bike there and someones wheelchair lift comes out of the van and squashes the bike that thought that they were more important to park there.

I also think that it could be perceived as a slap in the face to a real crippled person that you are able to ride AND have the gall to hinder them from doing what they have left after their disability.

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
i will not take the space that is allotted to the handicapped, in fact i hope someone parks a bike there and someones wheelchair lift comes out of the van and squashes the bike that thought that they were more important to park there.

I also think that it could be perceived as a slap in the face to a real crippled person that you are able to ride AND have the gall to hinder them from doing what they have left after their disability.

Totally agree....before my grandfather passed away last year he lost his right leg below the knee to diabetes. One day I was driving him and my grandma to the store and the only handicap spot left in the lot had a bike parked in that dashed area where I needed to put his wheelchair...So I walked up to the bike, put my foot on the seat and was just about to shove it over when some guy came running up like "noooooooooo.....wait!". At first he tried to act like I was the jerk, but then quickly realized from the crowd of people forming at the sounds of us shouting back and forth he was the A-hole and took off :Flip::rockon: (As a rider I hate the idea of messing up someone's bike, but I hate people who $&^% with the handicapped more)

W

wrightme43

Well like everything it depends.

For example walmart here in town. They have a handicap parking area, and in the same area with the same cross lines they have a bicycle parking area. I park alongside the in the lined spaces next to the bicycle parking area. It in no way can possibly be construed as blocking access for a handicapped vehicle. So no problem I park there.

If it is in a area where it could be a problem I dont do it. This spot just happens to be perfect, and oddly enough it always has bikes in it. I guess it is more of a two wheeler parking area ajacent to a handicap area than anything.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Judgement call, as I have been guilty of parking in the "dashed" lines. These days, you are coming across more vehicles with disable placards who are driven by people who are not confined to a wheel chair. Sometimes I see people with these placards getting out of their vehicles wondering what their disabilities are, such as this rider who has a placard that's pictured above. But I will always assume that I am parking next to a vehicle who is, so I only park if there is plenty of room so that it is accessible for people in wheechairs. If it's tight, I'll pick another spot. But I will try to avoid parking in regular parking spots, as I have personally seen and have read plenty of threads how bikes have gotten knocked down from careless cagers. If I see bicycle parking, I'm usally there. Group of bikes should be okay, but a single bike, it's going down sooner or later. It's my only ride, so I can't afford my bike being out of commision by some careless cager, even for a single day.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My brother is in a wheel chair and he has a van that has the ramp that sticks out 4' when the door opens. He needs that room. However there are fat people who get those parking permits which is BS.:spank: They should make them go to the farthest side of the parking lot to burn some flab off walking in. In all seriousness anything we can do to help out the handy capped is great. Sometimes we don't realize how good we have it.* :thumbup:

wildcardfz

Reaction score
Visit site
I never take the handicap parking but the large display and bicycle area is perfect. I've had a bike crunched in a normal parking spot by a person not paying attention and not seeing it next to an SUV. I leave room for the bicycles and have never had anyone complain or give me the angry look. I have had lots of people come up and take a look at my FZ though.