what's your take??

Is it right for bikes to park in the dashed area surrounding handicap parking?

• Absolutely not

Votes: 92 71.3%
  • if the parking lot is really full

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • don't care one way or the other

Votes: 18 14.0%
  • I do it

Votes: 15 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
My brother is in a wheel chair and he has a van that has the ramp that sticks out 4' when the door opens. He needs that room. However there are fat people who get those parking permits which is BS.:spank: They should make them go to the farthest side of the parking lot to burn some flab off walking in. In all seriousness anything we can do to help out the handy capped is great. Sometimes we don't realize how good we have it.* :thumbup:

Yea my dad is an M.D. and thankfully he never gives people those placards just because they are fat and lazy. I hate doctors who pass them out like candy because its easier to sign a form for some fat PITA than to fight with them about they fact they are not disabled, just pathetic. Idk how it is in other areas, but i see a lot of that out here in Reno. The other bad one is people who have a placard for driving around a disabled person, such as an elderly relative, and then use it when they are by themselves. Man that one burns me!

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Yes... you are tremendously more qualified than someone with an MD to determine handicapped status...

I was merely making a point for discussion - like two sides of a coin. At no point did I state I was qualified in anything. If you care to personally question my medical experience however, I think you may find yourself disappointed to know I actually have some.

To suffer through a couple of fatties that don't need to be driving a scooter (instead of walking) I think I can park across the parking lot for someone with a neurologic condition that requires them to spare their energy...

For the record, "fatties" was your reference not mine. I made no reference to any specific condition of health or qualification of such. As far as the other members are concerned I could have been talking about the non-handicapped using the unfortunate privileges of a handicap person at the general public expense that they are handicapped.

Obesity [fatties as you call them] can be of many things not to mention type II diabetes, heart disease, stroke, gallbladder disease, osteoarthritis (which my mother has), sleep apnea and respiratory problems (which my father has) among other things. Unfortunately, not by choice they too are obese.

While a handicap does not preclude you from being an Ahole... Not every handicapped person wears a shirt with a wheelchair on it

Don't be quick to judge people and please refrain from calling members "Ahole's" on this site, indirectly or directly - it's not welcome here.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, parking in handy dashes is wrong, but I also don't park close to the building because I want to have as few people walking by my bike as possible.

IMO, hooligans are less likely to marvel/check out/sit on/tip over/key my bike if they have to go out of their way to do so.

I do park on the sidewalk out in front of my house though, instead of opening the gate and putting it in it's spot behind the house for the night. Not yet sure of the legality on that one but no complaints so far...

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't be quick to judge people and please refrain from calling members "Ahole's" on this site, indirectly or directly - it's not welcome here.

I wasn't saying you were an "Ahole"... come on man...

Also, wasn't judging. I will apologize for my delivery, I work with a lot of handicapped people Physically, Mentally, & Emotionally...

I find it a very difficult position to be in, because it's personally very rewarding, not working with the disabled, just figuring out the cases and whats in a person's mind. That being said I feel a duty to advocate, however my last comment was trying to expose the other side of the coin that a disabled person that may need an assistive design, could also just be as unreasonable and unfriendly as a person without limitations. It's their right.

So to clear the air... No knock on anyone was intended (except for maybe the fatty comment, but I fall deep into that camp as well)... The whole post would have come across a lot differently from my voice rather than in type... I do apologize for not considering that in my post...

Spring is here lets all get out and RIDE!!! :thumbup:

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No way. Folks need the extra room to get in & out of the vehicle.
Park far away & get a little extra walking in.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
In related news...
Im going to the Abilities Expo next weekend... I get to see all the cool mods people can get for their wheelchairs and vans and what not...

I saw a spinal cord injured Iraq Vet that climbed mount Kilamanjaro on two different hand pedaled bikes... It should be pretty cool seeing stuff for the disabled that doesnt look like it belongs in a hospital

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So after reading many post from members who has crucified riders, such as me who have been know to park in these "dashed" areas, I took a picture today when I, yes, parked in your so called no zone. Like I have said, it's a judgement call, if I feel that I am in anyway restricting the accessiblity of a wheelchair, I won't park next to a handicapped zone. But sometimes, you just find a spot that's made for motorcycle parking such as the pictures below.

I have realized that most parking lots are designed at 90 degree angles, so whenever there appears to be an open spot, you will have drivers backing up thinking that they can utilize that open space so that it would be easier for them to back up. That's where I think most of the bikes get knocked down. People just being lazy and taking advantage of an open space, when it's actually wrong to do so. Just like making a simple turn, whenever you make a left or right hand turn, you are suppose to turn into the lane closest to you. But how often do you or see other drivers swing wide and don't turn into the immediate lane.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha Rider 87 brings up a great point. As a physician I've witnessed a lot of abuse with these placards and I try not to just "give them away." My wife also has Multiple Sclerosis and uses one crutch, 2, or a wheelchair, depending on the day. She uses the placard but sometimes if I'm with her, I'll drop her off at the front (and pick her up later) and park elsewhere to free up a spot. But I now do some work at a large defense company and they usually have motorcycle parking near the front to encourage the use of these space saving vehicles. But early in the season, and sometimes late, they have not sectioned off this space and allow the few of us who ride at these times to park in the slashed area. So long story short I have parked there, but only at this particular place. I don't feel like I'm any better than anyone else because I ride, but I would like to see more motorcycle parking which saves space and allows us to check out all the really cool rides in one place.:thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So long story short I have parked there, but only at this particular place. I don't feel like I'm any better than anyone else because I ride, but I would like to see more motorcycle parking which saves space and allows us to check out all the really cool rides in one place.:thumbup:

Well said. I agree, everyplace should have motorcycle parking. All it would take is one or two regular parking spaces in a parking lot. You make a good point, what about the times when all the disabled parking spots are taken, and they are forced to park in a regualr spot, a motorcycle could be occupying one these spots. Have you ever tried to find a parking spot at the mall during Christmas time?

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
I won't park anywhere near a handicapped spot but I will park in the dashed areas next to regular parking spots but only if I'm not in the way of a door opening anywhere close to my bike. And I usually do park near the bike spots at Walmart.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
... I would like to see more motorcycle parking which saves space and allows us to check out all the really cool rides in one place.:thumbup:

The few places here that have motorcycle parking (typically bike shops, or places in Laconia who are popular at bike week) have a really hard time keeping cars from parking in the spots. Perhaps it is because of our "short" riding season (March-October for the diehards), but people just don't have the same respect for bikes....that's probably why so many businesses don't waste the time or effort to put in moto-parking.

Reaction score
Visit site
In Ohio, that will get you a $250 ticket unless you have a handicap placard. Here in Mississippi, they don't seem to care much. I still won't park there. Those spaces are for those of us who need the space, and there are the activist type that may try to make an example of your bike for parking there. I usually park where you can see the bike from the front of the store, like on the sidewalk away from the foot traffic. I've done this with no problem to date, GRUMPY