What's the deal....are dealerships missing the boat?

Call me old fashioned, but I like the fact more people get Sunday off personally. Where I live the biggest motorcycle dealership is heavily involved with sponsorships, rides, fun stuff on Sundays. After talking to the owner he said such things in his mind generate more revenue than being open on Sunday.

Ok, I have read over 2 pages of posts and guess what, IF THEY COULD MAKE MONEY ON SUNDAY THEY WOULD BE OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These dealers are into making money and especially in this economy if they could make money by being open on Sunday they would. Inconveniencing their employees is way down on their priority list. The reality is all of us like to talk about buying stuff (ps cycle gear is open sundays)but we just like to go to the dealership, hang out, take up space and not buy anything. Check out the harley dealers who did the free hot dogs and soda thing for years and when the economy tanked they stopped. They went from huge crowds to almost no one. If those people eating the hot dogs were buying anything you can bet they would still be doing it for free. I also agree with the post above that said businesses should be closed on Sunday. We are such a have to have it now society that god forbid we have to wait one day for something we go crazy. Well I have said enough. No offense to anyone I hope. If so you are taking life way too seriously. Ride safe everyone.

I agree, it's like a bar closed Saturday nights because the staff likes to go out drinking.

You're killing me with the overhead speak though! You don't reduce overhead expenses by closing down for a day, you are reducing variable expenses (wages, utilities, etc.). Overhead is "fixed" expense, your rent is the same regardless of how many hours you use your space. To reduce overhead you would need to move to a cheaper location for instance.

In towns with multiple shops I think you could make it a marketing ploy, advertise as the only game in town, offer something that would bring in people that were out riding anyway. Free hotdogs. Banks kill me too, the vast majority of your business comes from people working 9-5. In both cases I think it's ego over best serving the customers' needs. Bankers feel too important to work odd hours, shop owners are treating it as a lifestyle business rather than a profit business. It's their right, but I think the person that choses to conform his business to the customer needs is going to win in the long run.

Seriously…?

After all the crap that goes though the internet and this forum about “stealer ships” and getting your best prices through huge online distributers, you are wondering why the shop isn’t open on Sunday?

To answer your question why are they closed, it is because they are riding or spending time with their families. Don’t you enjoy your day off, too? Back in the day, most shops were closed for Sunday and Monday so that the employees could race or ride and then they closed on Mondays to give the racers time to get home and to have a full weekend off. My father is opening the doors at Forsyth by 8:30am every morning and is closing them by 6:30 or 7:00pm every evening. On Saturday the doors open at the same time and close a bit after 3:00pm. Now you tell me when there is time to ride during the week, as one other poster noted? Unless your idea of a ride is to the last stop light in town and then back? An evening ride is nothing more than an aggravation; a ride for my family consists of an entire day out, covering at least 300 miles on the low side.

Now there are some shops that are open on Mondays now and even a few shops that are open 7 days a week. Dad can offer some more insight on how those shops are doing especially in this economy. And for having multiple shifts, do you really think a shop can afford to do that? They are struggling now to keep the doors open paying the minimum amount of staff and most at low salary. Holding the doors open with extra staff and slow hours, when most other people are out riding and racing doesn’t make all that much since.

You know the hours of your local dealer, make the most of your time and plan you day accordingly. Smile and thank him or her as you purchase your parts as they are there for you!

Sorry for the strong response, it is a subject that is close to home.

-bryan

nobody is saying that everyone has to work all day every day, but if the shop even ran on a limited crew to support Sundays and gave a couple other days off then it would be the same variable expense but increasing the potential for positive income. a 7 day work week is part of retail sales and if you don't want to deal with that then get out of it, in this economy i am sure that someone would be begging for a chance to work on a Sunday. besides like it was already said, you could work the schedule to give every other weekend off and then on the off weeks they can get 2 other consecutive days off.

The shops are already at limited crews now. There is not enough revenue coming in to hire more people. After all, powersports for the most part, is just a hobby. It is not a must have thing.

-bryan

Thanks for the 'insider' insight bmccary. Much appreciated and valued.

I guess then I have trouble with waht exactly are some owners intentions then. Do they want to own and grow a business and take advantage of every possible opportunity or do they want to just run an average business and ensuring they have quality ride time each week? It comes down to priorities.

I understand what your saying and the points you are making. I'm not trying to come accross like an overbearing owner who points his finger from on high and says "you all must work 7 days a week or else". I know lots of people who have owned businesses that have sacrificed a lot for the sake of their business, including family. Do I agree with that, personally no I don't. But their time to play is after, when they are done with the business, not during. Obviously not the way for everyone nor should it be, but just remember, there is always someone out there working harder than you.

But a motorcyle shop is in the business of bikes and riders.....which is largely a WEEKEND activity.

If I owned a bike shop, I'd have it open on Sundays for one reason: I'd be the only open m/c shop on Sunday. HUGE marketing point! But since I don't own a motorcycle shop, your insight holds a lot more value than mine. Good point about the "after work ride". After a day like your Dad has, the commute home wouldn't be a very realxing or fun ride.

As I oringinally stated, why not just be open Sundays during the 'riding season'? One or two parts guys and maybe one sales guy - open 10 - 4? Employees and owners can still get in an early or late afternoon ride too. Rotate the guys who work the Sundays. What's so difficult about that? Again, you're running a business.....FOR riders.....who do a lot of their riding on weekends!?

Tough call I guess. Good points on both side of this 'debate'. Like others have said, I still think the best is hosting some sort of ride/meet & greet at teh shop on Sundays with very limited hours. Then the people who want to buy some things get to and the owners/employees who want to ride can as well, plus it draws in business and makes a purpose for people to make a trip to your bike store.

Although I despise the saying "the customer is always right", a business owner should at least listen and consider what the masses are saying....

Last edited:
The shops are already at limited crews now. There is not enough revenue coming in to hire more people. After all, powersports for the most part, is just a hobby. It is not a must have thing.

-bryan

I'm not knocking the economic conditions effecting most retailers but the idea is that riders who would otherwise buy a product from a physical shop are instead buying them online because the shops are only open when they are at work. I had that problem when I bought my bike, I had to take a vacation day. Generally you can buy the same thing for less money online. If it's also very inconvenient for the shopper to visit the store, why would they? Case in point: I really wanted flushmounts last Sunday, I would have gone out of my way to get them, I would have paid a premium to have them right away, but of course the shop is closed, so I'm ordering online.

I see your point, and as stated some shops are doing that and it really depends on the market around the shop.

Its a tough call and one that takes alot of thought. Would the cost of the products increase due to the extra overhead of being open on Sundays. Like any any buisness it is a risk, but like old saying goes, "if it aint broke..."

I let me emotions come into this thread and truely over reacted. I appologize for that.

-bryan

I let me emotions come into this thread and truely over reacted. I appologize for that.

No need bryan. You are passionate about the subject and I can see how one might take some 'offence' (for lack of a better word) as this issue is quite obviously more personal to you than to most of us. I appreciate your insight into the subject!

The fact is the market is constantly changing, and those businesses who which do not attempt to be proactive and adapt to this, are the ones that don't stick around for a really long time.

The only way to beat change is to change.

The fact is the market is constantly changing, and those businesses who which do not attempt to be proactive and adapt to this, are the ones that don't stick around for a really long time.

The only way to beat change is to change.

Agreed. Like I mentioned earlier, look at how Banks have changed.

Last edited:
I guess I find it not a big deal.

I work for a local CU, we were open on Sundays, but now only one location is. Why? No one came. Paying employees to stand around for one or two potential customers is a costly way to run a business. We are open later on Fridays, mainly is that is when it is busy. With direct deposit, online banking and ebill pay, fewer and fewer people need to stop on to cash their pay checks. In my tenure here, we have played around with many different hours. Staying open to 7pm was a bust, not enough people to justify staying open.

Years ago, my friends parents ran a small OPE dealership, they had like 5 employees. He was never opened on Sunday, it was the only time he could be with his family, go to church, go fishing, etc. It is a tough call, hire more people to stay open for a few people who amble in? Or just stay closed, no money earned, but none spent either. And why should his employees have to sacrifice their family time too? Most shops have played around with weekend hours, and the ones offered are the busiest times. Also overtime pay can come into play, paying an employee time and a half to stand around is wasteful.

Even the largest motorcycle dealer here only has a dozen people working there, and most are sales. Would you want to be a commissioned sales guy working a nice sunny Sunday afternoon? Few if anyone will come in. At least here most places offer extended Saturday hours. Some open later to stay open later.

It would be wonderful to offer all customers the hours and products they want. And while meeting those demands is a top priority, keeping your employees happy is another top issue. Getting people to work those hours is one thing, having it busy enough to warrant being there is another. When I was an FSR, I hated Saturday hours. Not because I had to come in, but I never had enough people to make any decent commissions. It just simply was not worth my time to be there.

Sorry for the rant :rant:, but there seems to be a disconnect between those who want instant gratification and those who worked the hours. When I worked at a big box store, it was usually busy enough to warrant being there. If an owner wants to be closed on Sundays, that is his/her choice. The owner must have reasons (unless you are in WI, then law forces you to be closed) for being off. Is it smart? Maybe, maybe not, but I can respect the choice and stop back at a later date or order online.:rolleyes:

If the shop was to hire specifically for Sunday work, the people applying and working those days are OK with it and not inconvenienced. Besides, if they close two days in the middle of the week, it is no different as they still operate 5 days a week. What does it matter which two days they close so long as the employees get their "weekend" :D

We live by the calendar too closely. As far as I'm concerned, my weekend begins after I left work on the 5th consecutive day to start my two days off. It matters not what two days those are. Quite frankly, having at least one weekday off all the time is a benefit. You can ride when there is the least amount of traffic. You get to go to City Hall, DMV, Banking, shopping, errands of all sorts when actual businesses are open for their regular hours. A lot of those things, I now have to take time off from work to accomplish them or burn my lunch hour in hopes there's no line.

Boneman hit it on the nose. This is a weekend activity and there's no better time to be open than when the masses are out there.

I am very much in agreement with the Boneman. If they were open on Sundays, many of my purchases "would have been" from the local bike shop. I am one of those who likes to go, look, feel before buying anything and generally weekends are the only time I can do that. I don't even mind paying few dollars more if I can just pick up the thing and go home. I changed my shoping habits and look online and order online more these days simply because there is nobody open I can go check out things when I am free of work. From the looks of it, majority of the people agree on this subject. So, bike shops "are losing" a lot of business because they are close on Sunday if this forum is any indication of general public opinion. Because from the looks of it, except for "one" person who happens to be "close" to business, nobody else thinks it makes any sense to be closed on Sundays (business wise). :Flash:

When I was shopping for a bike, I wanted to go to the Suzuki dealer to see the SV650. However, a couple of times in a row, the dealer was closed on the Sunday I had intended to go there. Ultimately, the FZ6 deal snuck up on me before I ever managed a trip to the Suzuki dealer. Possibly lost sale to Suzuki!

Good topic, I've had this on my mind a lot. The shop where I bought my bike has these hours during riding season (even shorter hours in the off season).

Mon - Fri 10pm - 8pm
Sat 10pm - 4pm
Sun Closed

LOOK AT THOSE WEEKEND HOURS!!!

SIX HOURS????!!!!!

ON WEEKENDS????!!!!

I'm sorry, but if they go belly-up I will not feel sorry for them. In fact, I refuse to shop there anymore because of this. I work weekdays. If I want to go there I have to plan my weekend around their schedule? I don't think so. Thankfully other area shops are open til 6, 8, even one accessory shop is open til 10 on Sat.

Great topic, I look at it a few different ways...

1. I used to work retail for years, from a personal perspective, Sundays suck to work, period.
2. Being a consumer, I sometimes would love to swing into a shop if I am riding by on any given Sunday.
3. Driving by those closed shops on Sunday also makes me remember statement #1.
4. I am old fashioned. I like Sundays being for Family time, Church whatever you choose to use it for.
5.Where I live, the only "shop" where one could possibly find MC related gear isn't worth going to anyway, I prefer to get treated like crap on weekdays only.:D
6. Ya, there is a lot of stuff I would like to have "now" when I want it, but I am trying to teach myself to enjoy what I already have more, before adding to the collection.

Just my 2...

Back