Whats a typical doctor called?

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't had a typical doctor I could call on if I was felling sick or any of the small stuff in about 10 years... I should probably find one and have a physical done because me list of things to have checked out is over 1 lol.. So I went to my insurance website and there is a list to search of about 50+ different types of doctors. I am about 90% sure what I want is a family doctor, but can anyone confirm this?

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a family who will all be seeing the same doctor? I would suggest you look under the following categories:

Family Medicine
General Practice
Internal Medicine

Do you have friends or co-workers you could ask for a referral?

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a family who will all be seeing the same doctor? I would suggest you look under the following categories:

Family Medicine
General Practice
Internal Medicine

Do you have friends or co-workers you could ask for a referral?

No family here, so maybe one of the other two? As to referals, I am new to the area, well I just moved from a couple cities away so my friends are of no help and I work in an office with 3 other people and the all live a couple cities away and I would like something local in my area.

My insurance website has user reviews on docs and they seems to be honest, and not modified by the insurance company...

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
An honest insurance company? Sorry. I worked in the health care industry for a few years and am a little biased. Definitely read the reviews and then pick out a couple that you think seem to fit what you are looking for - you may want to find out what hospital they are affiliated with (if there is more than one in your area) and check that out as well. Most doctors will want you to come in for a complete physical and will run blood tests and maybe an EKG/ or chest X-ray depending on your age and overall physical health. Good luck and these are just my opinions, perhaps others will post as well and maybe someone is from or familiar with your area.

cbzdel

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the help! And I dont mean the insurance company is honest, I mean the reviews are honest lol.. Users can post reviews on the docs and some reviews are pretty harsh and would make me stay away from certain docs!

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
For terminology, your insurance company probably refers to them as "Primary Care Physician", or possibly "General Practitioner" or "Family something" (something being doctor, practitioner, medicine, whatever).

I've been in the same boat a few times myself - if you can't get a good reference from friends/family, you're stuck doing what you're doing now and selecting based on reviews and location. Don't be afraid to switch if you're not convinced it's a good fit; it's not just a professional service, it's a relationship.