What would you pay?

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
The story: Almost a year to the day ago I got pulled over for a DUI. Coming off the decision to file for bankruptcy (tough times) I had only one option to obtain the funds for the high power attorney I needed, sell my FZ6. I took a quick sale and let the guy beat me to $3500 in May. The decision hurt, but time was of the essence and a bike with no license is just silly!

Fast forward to now, in the market for another I stumble on my bike on Craigslist. I send a quick email to confirm and sure enough it is her, with just an extra 1000 miles on it! He listed it for $4850, and stated he'd like to make a few dollars on it! Seriously?? Who buys any type of vehicle and thinks they'll make money on it in a year?? I digress...I politely state that he's not thinking right, and that it would be a tough sale listed for what he paid. I listed it a year ago for $4200 expecting $3700/3800. I said I gave him a good buy, and would expect the same in return, he said he'd do that.

Today I went to inspect her with the intention to go for the purchase tomorrow. I also checked out an 05 with 4500 miles today (mine is an 06 with 8600) The idea of having a fallback plan in the event my bike had been abused or dropped. The miles on mine are higher, but I put them there, 2 trips to the dragon helped!

My bike checked out fine, but he hadn't greased the chain or changed the oil since he bought it. He says yes, I know better. For the 1k he put on it I'm thinking this isn't detrimental. I rode her and she felt good, cosmetically she's the same as I left her.

both bikes are probably equal as far as mechanical condition, my old 06 gets a slight nod in cosmetics. My bike has frame sliders, extra gel seat, throttlemeister and the tall Yamaha windscreen, 8600 miles. The 05 has a Corbin saddle and a throttlemeister. It also needs tires. He went no lower than $3400. The owner of my 06 is probably expecting $3500, but he paid that, principal alone should lose him a few hundred. Counting the fact I need to immediately take it in for service I'm thinking to offer $3200.

Having a hard time with sentiment here, if he won't budge on $3500 or wants more I have to walk, yes? I never talked price tonight as I didn't take the cash, I never talk turkey without the bird in hand!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well, there is a price for knowing how the bike was treated straight out of the dealership, I would rather have the same bike back since i knew it had the oil changed at the correct intervals and how hard it was ridden.

We aren't talking big bank here, it is $300 to know how the bike was treated. Why does it need service immediately? 1k on fresh oil (or even going over normal change interval) is not a big deal and 1k without lubing the chain won't kill it if it had a good coat of lube on there and you do it right away, just make sure it is not kinked anywhere and it is fine.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd offer him $3,500 and see if he takes it. Look at it this way... you got an interest free loan for one year and he got a free rental bike for a year.

If he won't budge, pick up the 2005 FZ6 and ride the snot out of it.

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
I knew I couldn't be wrong with the sentiment! Re the oil change, it needed one when I sold it and I'm not buying he did anything to it at all.

I figured worst case scenario I get it back for $3500, though I hate to do it on principal. When he bought from me we agreed on $3700, then he called 2 days later and bumped me to $3500. Shrewd, I will do the same! I can't ride this weekend, so he'll have some time to chew on it. I know his door won't be beat down for the bike, simply not enough interest in the fizzer in these parts.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'd go with the devil you know, if you can get it for what you want to pay. He did..... so why shouldn't you?

Other than that, once a bike leaves your hands, it's merely a thing; getting wrapped up emotionally in it is usually an expense that I try and avoid. I sell things when I need to, and don't look back.

(I too would buy another FZ..... )

Kamloops

JoeDanger.com
Reaction score
www.joedanger.com
Here is a deal in Deleware

2007 YAMAHA FZ-6 $4000 20 ORIGINAL MILES!! - $4000 (Sou. Del)
OLD!! 2007 YAMAHA FZ-6 $4000 20 ORIGINAL MILES!!
20 ORIGINAL MILES!! Never had time to get my lic., now the wife is pregnant and says it must go. My loss will definitely be someones gain.
Battery is original and will need to be changed, as the bike has not been driven much. Serious inquiries only please.

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a deal in Deleware

2007 YAMAHA FZ-6 $4000 20 ORIGINAL MILES!! - $4000 (Sou. Del)
OLD!! 2007 YAMAHA FZ-6 $4000 20 ORIGINAL MILES!!
20 ORIGINAL MILES!! Never had time to get my lic., now the wife is pregnant and says it must go. My loss will definitely be someones gain.
Battery is original and will need to be changed, as the bike has not been driven much. Serious inquiries only please.

I emailed that guy 4 days ago, no reply so I assume it's sold. Dealer quotes $500 to flush and replace all fluids, that's my ammunition. I won't pay that.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I emailed that guy 4 days ago, no reply so I assume it's sold. Dealer quotes $500 to flush and replace all fluids, that's my ammunition. I won't pay that.

Holy crap, what fluids? there is oil, coolant, and brake fluid... none of which should take more than 20 minutes...and brake fluid/coolant are not even necessary yet with those miles.

Good luck haggling... but i think that 3500 is pretty fair considering you know 95% of the bikes history.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd pay the $3500 the season is upon us, with this economy there are more and more riders out there.. that is a bit much for the fluid change.. I paid that to have my husband's (ZZR12) fluids changed and change out his plugs and clean his jetkit... actually like $450 so maybe check around for another mechanic.

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
That was plugs too!!! But I won't be taking it to the dealer, I have a mechanic that'll be at least half that. I could do it myself, but I work on cars all day, I don't feel like it!:D

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
She's back home, my noble steed! $3300, not bad! I'm back!

Was like putting on an old shoe, she just fits!

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool. Sounds like both of you made out well. He rented a bike for a year for $200 and you didn't lose any money.