What would you do in my shoes with these tire options??

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Only had my bike a month but the rear center has hit the wear marks slightly.

I have Pilot Power 2ct on the front with near new tread.
Pilot Power on the rear.

A new rear Pilot Power tire is $149 + 35 mount and balance. (high grip and fast wear) $184

I wanted to upgrade or side grade to the Pilot Road 2ct's front and rear because of the great reviews but that would put me back $179 rear $139 front + mount and balance $70 (high grip and slow wear) $388

ORRRRRRR

The guy was telling me the Pirelli Diablo set of tires front and rear for $189 + $70 mount and balance (same as Pilot powers says the sales guy) $259 peice of mind having both new tires.

Factors to consider: Im a new rider so i wont be doing crazy twisties. I also hopefully wont notice a change in handling (all though i enjoy the way it handles now). I commute on my bike when the weather is good. I might be doing twisties before i need a new set of tires (hopefully they will last long enough for my to get better).

Last edited:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I can personally recommend the PR2's. You will get up to 3x the mileage out of them as you do the PP. They won't heat up as fast as the powers but when they are warm they respond nice. you will get all around good performance out of them unless you are going to do track days. no experience there but I would want a stickier tire if taking it to the track

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First of all........How new is the front, what is the date stamp? It will be a four digit number like 4009, meaning it was manufactured on the 40th week of 2009.

FYI...I get over 16,000 out of my Pilot Power or Pures lately on every set. As long as you baby them, and ride like you do not own the bike, they will last a long time.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
First of all........How new is the front, what is the date stamp? It will be a four digit number like 4009, meaning it was manufactured on the 40th week of 2009.

FYI...I get over 16,000 out of my Pilot Power or Pures lately on every set. As long as you baby them, and ride like you do not own the bike, they will last a long time.

Hmmmm Under BAA**** the number is 06-5091-01

I think that is the incorrect number though, let me see if i can find any other four digit numbers.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also highly recommend the PR2 as that is what is on mine. i originally wanted to put on the old Pilot Road as that is what my big BMW has and they are wearing great. I did not really care about the multi-compound tires as I don't do the track or push it too hard on the street, Well not too hard. :D

I am super impressed with the PR2 CT now. I have about 800 miles on them and the fuzzies are not even worn off except right in the center. If they wear that good I can imagine what the actual tire will wear like.

And yes they are grippy enough to let you do what ever you want, with the exception of Moto-GP at least.

Marc

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
The Perelli tires are great too. It's really up to you. The diablos won't last as long, but they're a bit cheaper too.

I'd probably put the PR3 on there because I have the PR2's and they're awesome.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
What kind of riding do you do? Lot's of commuting where you are straight upp, or is a weekend toy where you have it leaned over more frequently? How aggressive of a rider are you?

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I gave into peer pressure and got a new pilot road 2 for the rear :BLAA:

I left the front as is with the pilot power 2ct on it.

For some reason every shop i went to wanted to sell me bridgestone bt023. They were 30 bucks less and supposedly on par or better then pilot road 2's. I almost gave in but since everyone on here raves about these tires i just paid the extra 30 bucks......

The shop said i had to be careful with them for the first 50 miles because they could be slippery. If i dont do any twisties for awhile, will the first time doing a twisty cause a crash since that part of the tire is still untouched??? :confused:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll try to answer this since I'm familiar with where your coming from in the experience dept. You're not yet riding at any aggressive angles yet. Most of the tires today don't use the slippery mold releases they used to but it is definitely a good idea to not romp hard on the tires right away. It's good to get them through a few heat cycles. You can always stop by here. :rockon:

C

CoolATIGuy

For some reason every shop i went to wanted to sell me bridgestone bt023. They were 30 bucks less and supposedly on par or better then pilot road 2's.

I had 7 year old stockers still on mine when I aquired my bike recently - I put new tires on it shortly thereafter. I was trying to figure out the same "which tire to go with question" - read the recommendations I got and the conclusion:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/38722-tire-not-many-miles-but-too-old.html

I ended up going with the Bridgestone Battlax bt-023's - they have been a phenomenal tire for me, granted I'm not pushing it to the limit but they've never hopped or squirlled around on me a bit...even when caught in heavy rain on both interstate and city roads.

I picked my set up from jakewilson.com (best price I found anywhere) - $242.98 no shipping/no tax, and $65+tax to mount ($37.50 Rear Mount/$27.50 Front Mount) = $310/$315 out of pocket. :thumbup:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I had 7 year old stockers still on mine when I aquired my bike recently - I put new tires on it shortly thereafter. I was trying to figure out the same "which tire to go with question" - read the recommendations I got and the conclusion:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/38722-tire-not-many-miles-but-too-old.html

I ended up going with the Bridgestone Battlax bt-023's - they have been a phenomenal tire for me, granted I'm not pushing it to the limit but they've never hopped or squirlled around on me a bit...even when caught in heavy rain on both interstate and city roads.

I picked my set up from jakewilson.com (best price I found anywhere) - $242.98 no shipping/no tax, and $65+tax to mount ($37.50 Rear Mount/$27.50 Front Mount) = $310/$315 out of pocket. :thumbup:

I wish you had stepped in earlier LOL. My shop was going to do the front and rear bt023 installed with tax out the door for $300 even. Buts its ok maybe on my next set, this should last me a good awhile if what everyone says is true about them.

Cliff are you saying i should let you carve the corners on my bike to get rid of the brand new rubber??? :rockon:

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
I gave into peer pressure and got a new pilot road 2 for the rear :BLAA:

I left the front as is with the pilot power 2ct on it.

For some reason every shop i went to wanted to sell me bridgestone bt023. They were 30 bucks less and supposedly on par or better then pilot road 2's. I almost gave in but since everyone on here raves about these tires i just paid the extra 30 bucks......

The shop said i had to be careful with them for the first 50 miles because they could be slippery. If i dont do any twisties for awhile, will the first time doing a twisty cause a crash since that part of the tire is still untouched??? :confused:

I think you made a good choice. That is a nice combo. With the Power 2CT up front and the PR2 on the back. The PR2 tires are really good both the front and rear.

I have had three PR2's on the back and two on the front of my FZ6 which I sold. Really great all around tire.

Recently went with the Pirelli Angel ST full set on my FZ1. Had the worst slip out I ever had scared the ****e out of me. But they were new only had about 80 miles on them. They have since gotten better I've put over 2400 miles on them in the last month. But they for me are not as confidence inspiring as the PR2's. But they are wearing well and were cheaper then the PR2's. But I am looking forward to getting back on the PR2's maybe a PR3 up front this time.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i think you did well in picking the michelin over the diablo, because afaik the diablo are old tyres that are no longer manufactured. they were replaced with diablo rosso.....right guys?

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
i think you did well in picking the michelin over the diablo, because afaik the diablo are old tyres that are no longer manufactured. they were replaced with diablo rosso.....right guys?
Well after talking to the guys at the shops. My choices changed.

Diablo Angel ST
Bridgestones BT023
Pilot Road 2

I neglected to update the thread, but im happy about my choice. Im sure all three are great tires :cheer:

C

CoolATIGuy

Well after talking to the guys at the shops. My choices changed.

Diablo Angel ST
Bridgestones BT023
Pilot Road 2

I neglected to update the thread, but im happy about my choice. Im sure all three are great tires :cheer:

Are those in order of preference?

Sorry I didn't post sooner. :) Just saw your thread tonight, and didn't realize it was your post that said the shops were recommending the bt-023s but you went otherwise.

Anywho, honestly, I'm a newb and don't push them to the limits...prob any set I would have bought would have worked out peachy. Esp. upgrading from dry-rot 7 y/o stockers with 13 and 16 psi when I bought it........ :eek: Bike only had 2,900 miles though and great mechanically. :thumbup:

C

CoolATIGuy

My shop was going to do the front and rear bt023 installed with tax out the door for $300 even.

Wow, that's a great deal - no buyer's remorse though, ride and enjoy. lol I have to tell myself to research research research...then once I purchase, the research is done. At that point all you can do is regret; enjoy what you got.

As far as scrubbing, just take it easy for a few days. For me they felt slicker, then again it could be having the psi up to par and not having ridden for quite awhile. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you want to gradually wear the tires in, leaning a little more as the tires break in. When you lean with the new tires, you want there to be some patch of scrubbed tire contacting the road along with untouched rubber, so gradually increase your lean angles as you ride over the next couple days. rather than laying it all the way over right away and having *only* "fresh" portions of the tire contacting the road... Going 300 miles in a straight line won't touch the sides of your tire though, then you'll try to make a tight curve with big lean and wonder why it didn't get broken in. So gradual it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

going going.....gone

Reaction score
Visit site
I buy scrubbed in track Tyres as I eat through a tyre in about 6-8 weeks ( let's say I like putting them through there paces ). I've got Dunlop sports max gp on front and metzeler racetec k2 rear. Before the racetec I had sports max gp 190/50/zr17 rear. The 190/50 is so much nice to ride on then a180/55 IMO.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I buy scrubbed in track Tyres as I eat through a tyre in about 6-8 weeks ( let's say I like putting them through there paces ). I've got Dunlop sports max gp on front and metzeler racetec k2 rear. Before the racetec I had sports max gp 190/50/zr17 rear. The 190/50 is so much nice to ride on then a180/55 IMO.

Did it really make a huge difference going to a bigger size? I asked the shop guy about doing that and he said its mainly for looks

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Only had my bike a month but the rear center has hit the wear marks slightly.

I have Pilot Power 2ct on the front with near new tread.
Pilot Power on the rear.

A new rear Pilot Power tire is $149 + 35 mount and balance. (high grip and fast wear) $184

I wanted to upgrade or side grade to the Pilot Road 2ct's front and rear because of the great reviews but that would put me back $179 rear $139 front + mount and balance $70 (high grip and slow wear) $388

ORRRRRRR

The guy was telling me the Pirelli Diablo set of tires front and rear for $189 + $70 mount and balance (same as Pilot powers says the sales guy) $259 peice of mind having both new tires.

Factors to consider: Im a new rider so i wont be doing crazy twisties. I also hopefully wont notice a change in handling (all though i enjoy the way it handles now). I commute on my bike when the weather is good. I might be doing twisties before i need a new set of tires (hopefully they will last long enough for my to get better).

For what it's worth i know that the Pirelli's and the PR3/2's are the top favorites on the Versys forum... I burned through the stock set on my V so i'll be replacing them soon, plan on either the Angels or the PR 3's... i'd go with something that lasts a while though, but to each their own :D

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless you are a professional track racer you will never outride the grip on the pr 2 tires and they last a hell of a lot longer. i live in the mountains and everywhere i go there are curves and the pr 2's work great.