What was your first fall like?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...as I made my approach I started to chicken out, but then foolish pride kicked in.
Wow, it's always been the opposite for me! :D

I've not crashed on a motorcycle yet, maybe if I quick post something here it won't happen.
My worst bicycle crash was coming home from work as a teenager. I was coming down a pretty steep hill, pedalling for all I was worth, and as is appropriate for teenage intelligence, I had my heels centered on the pedals, with my Size 13's flailing the breeze in front.

You can see what's coming next, right?

My right toe grabbed the pavement, grabbing my foot and pulling it under the pedal. The rest I don't recall until a concerned stranger was driving me home, probably a good thing. Mom didn't panic (the good moms never do) but she told me it only took three scissor snips to completely remove my shirt (remember, these were the days when protection was a blue square in your wallet ;) ). I hadn't broken any bones, just a lot of road rash, and I practiced sensible pedalling ever after that!

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I fell off my 50cc moped - Yamaha FS1E - so many times I lost count. I can't remember the first time, but I do remember the last.

I was riding through a village about 10 miles from home with my mate Taffy Lewis. I was on the Fizzy & he had a Puch Grand Prix (So called, because it was the same colour scheme a the John Player Special team, I think) which was also a 50cc moped.

It was Saturday night & we were looking for something to do. Our prayers were answered when we saw Tina & Louise walking up the road. Now, Tina was only 15 but mightily blessed & Louise was as pretty as they came. Well Taffy & I went into pea**** mode, both swung round in the saddle to wave as we went by. I already knew that we would turn round at the island by the chip shop & cruise back all casual like.

Unfortunately, when we took our eyes off the gals & back to the road, the car in front of us had stopped & we both rode straight into the back of it. Both bikes were write-offs, both of us had broken our left leg mid shin.

Big life lesson, don't ogle boobs when you should be looking at the road. :D
That is very funny......

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
First MC fall? Would be the day after I picked up my FZ. Was riding around town. Hadn't taken it to the local dog track (massive empty parking lot) yet, but I had planned on doing it on the weekend to practice.

While going over an overpass someone in a large pickup decided initiate a confrontation about lane choice. He was bigger than I was. He won. Ended up noobing it up and locking the rear tire. Not entire sure what happened after that, but logic and practice skidding leads me to believe I did not drop it prior to becoming intimate with the outside retaining wall. Well, logic and the single skid mark I found a week later.....
Long story short, in my noobness I managed to lock the rear at highway speeds and keep it upright, but in so doing I had to keep going straight..... on a banked turn. A slight bump and a tumble later I found myself laying in the emergency lane, face first in the pavement.... with the bike on top of me. Extracted myself, checked for broken bones, accounted for all appendages and confirmed that I was indeed still in one piece. Checked the bike, some horrifying cosmetic damage, but she fired. I assured the guy in the car behind me that stopped (note, NOT the 'person' in the truck, who never did stop) that I was indeed OK, and that I did not need medical/police assistance. Rode her home on the second day with a rashed fairing, a missing brake lever (rear) and the remains of the right side mirror sticking out of my pocket.

As for "bike", dont remember my first, or my last. I was a bit of goof, always doing stupid things, and always falling off. One memorable crash was when I was riding along the side of an unfinished highway that had large storm drains along the side (about 4-5 feet across). These things had the large grated style top (like some bridges), and were placed about 40-50 feet apart. After about a mile of riding along, I stopped paying attention to them...... until I fell into one without a top. Never saw it coming. All I can remember is hearing the sound of the bulldozer operator laughing his *** off over the sound of the engine about 100 feet away.
Momentum sucks, The bike fell in, I kept going forward... on my chin. Just try and imaging someone skidding along on their chin/face with their feet up in the air and you have a good idea of what it felt like.
I had a dandy bit of road rash from both of those. The bike/grate one healed up completely. I still have some scars from the bike/wall incident however...

W

wrightme43

Oh on bikes man, I have about killed myself. LOL

Like Chaos up there.

I was riding my super groovy cool bannana seated bike around the circle where I lived. It was just under one mile, with huge couple huge hills. I was pretending I was on a motorcycle (yeah I know) So I jet out onto the big road that fronts the circle. I am leaned way over and just having a blast. I come to the second entrance to the circle. You know that part about not darting to the inside at the begining of the turn? Well I did. I was flying and leaning, and someone had cut the inside, spun there car tires, and shot dirt, and very fine gravel all over the road. The bike shot out from under me, I hit my knees and hands, they went under me, then I was sliding on my front teeth, lips, nose, and chin. A good time was had by all.

Another time, my neighbor had built a low stone wall since they were down hill from us, and the water from three houses ran down and filled his backyard and garage, the wall routed it to the street and the drainage ditches.

So I am riding on this wall, crashed and cut my knee wide open, it still has a big scar.

H

HavBlue

The year was 1963, the bike was a home built mini with a Briggs engine and I may have been going 10mph when I hit the curb coming into our driveway. No helmet or gear on. The bars hooked right and off I went. Dang engine didn't even die. I just got back on and away we go....

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Winter of 65, in England. I was riding my BSA Super Rocket back to Borden Camp from Croydon when a sudden snow storm with freezing rain started on the A303 near Stonehenge. The storm got progressively worse and (inevitably) I got trapped in a tire rut in the snow doing about 40mph....the bike went left and I went right. Slid on my arse for what seemed like an eternity. A few scuffs and scrapes on the Beezer, but the snow actually stopped it getting too marked up. I tore the arse and elbows out of my uniform, but no harm done at the time. Got the bike upright, kicked it up and carried on, congratulating myself on my apparent indestructibility.
Two weeks later I wrote the bike off and almost myself with it.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to fall off my YB100E Deluxe:Flash: with regularity. Once in front of my parents. My mum has hated bikes ever since.

The one I remember was actually on a Honda CB125Twin, going around a "roundabout", not to fast, but fast enough to be lent over and halfway round a big patch of oil had been laid down. I had no where to go so I drooped the bike it went one way I went the other. Ruined a brand new pair of jeans, the bike just had a few more scratches, it was the jeans I was miffed about most.:D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I showed up to the DMV Motorcycle test so i could practice my maneuvers before people showed up and noticed that they had re-sealed the parking lot since the last time i was there so it was nice and rubbery, my only problem is that it had rained the night before so the sealer was all coated with water.

I was practicing the "quick stop test" (where you get over 20 mp/h and as soon as you cross a line you have to stop as quickly as possible). I crossed the line and the front tire locked up instantly as i applied the brakes and jolted sideways and it threw me off and then the bike landed with the exhaust right on my ankle. I got up and could barely put any weight on my ankle so i had to wait for someone to come and help me pick up my bike.

I still took and passed my test with right side fairings broken, directional flopping around and not able to use my right foot which had swollen to the point that it looked like there was a softball in my sock. It has been years and thankfully that was the only one while moving... but that is another story

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My first fall was oct. this year. I was comeing from NY going down I-95 a beautifull day, perfect weather. I the came across Florida (i drove from florida to new york, stayed 1 day in new york and the came home to fort myers in florida 3600 miles) on I-10 and minding my own, when all of a sudden all i see is this trailer cut right into my lane or into my. In a split second my sphincter clentched and i just put the bike down on the right side avoiding any cars and lucky the grass was on the right. Bike was just slideing on its side. I WAS LUCKY TO HAVE ALL MY GEAR ON REGAURDING THE TEMPATURE, nobody stopped. It took a little bit to register what had happend. I lifted the bike up thinking it was done. I was lucky, all the damage was on the throttle side like bars bent, both pegs driver and passenger, side pod scratched cover thats on the stock exhaust scuffed, i was lucky to have the frame sliders on it saved the bike. I was in shock. The bike strated up, i rode from the tip of florida to my house which is the southwest part, iwas in pain. Went to the DR's and nothing was broken (but my spirit cause the bike was 2 1/2 months old) just had a sprained wrist, and a lump on my L calf from the peg, it gave me a nice welt. I was lucky. As far as the bike, he (named after my son) was a little beat up but now better then ever.